• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally......

dslucas

Finally got my deuce. Turned out to be a '69 wo/w on 15.5/85r20s (I think). Pics to come later this week as the weather has been crappy and I work nights :p Also came with 2 spares for the big tires unmounted, and all the original wheels and 9.0 NDTs. I can absolutely not believe how smooth this engine sounds and how easy it starts for its age. Seems to have 64k miles if the odometer is correct. If I can actually get a weekend off one of these days I need to do an oil change.

Doesn't have the dual circuit brakes....I think that will be my first project. It does have the remote mount reservoir, and they mounted it right behind the driver's seat, along with a convenient quick disconnect and valve to make power bleeding allot more convenient.

Only has a single small leak (Fuel) that I will have to fix....looks like it is coming from one of the lines off the IP pump, but haven't had a chance to track it down and verify.

ATPTac

Congrats on the new truck! You just think you don't have any leaks, give it some time :razz:. Line leaks can be tricky to hunt down because they flow down to the lowest point of the line. On our '76 I had 2 pretty bad fuel leaks that ended up just needing the fittings snugged down a bit even though they felt tight. Definitely go through the brakes/wheels and make sure you don't have any leaks from the wheel cylinders or axle seals.

dslucas

I will hopefully get a chance to do that this weekend before I drive it again. Speaking of driving...that's definitely gonna take some getting used to. I seem to sit about 6 feet above the road with those tires lol.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your new truck. I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of that remote brake res quick disconnect. I have a similar set-up but without a quick disconnect. Sounds like a nice addition.

Your new truck will inevitably leak, but not to worry most of them aren't anything unusual. All you have to do is separate the critical leaks from the normal leaks. Welcome the the world of the Deuce and half!

Last edited:

dslucas

Will try to get a few pics this weekend, and will make sure to get one of the reservoir and disconnect. Looks like a standard female brass quick disconnect on an air hose.

Dipstick

Congratulations on your new truck! Actually, the Spicer is syncro in the top four gears. It won't shift quite as quickly as a manual car transmission, but you definitely don't want to be too slow on upshifts. Find the balance between too slow and too fast with the gear lever. You'll get used to the timing with more miles. Make sure you do a clean de-clutch and move purposefully (not forcefully) to the next higher gear. I usually double clutch on downshifts. It makes getting into the lower gear smoother. That's a large part of the fun of driving a Deuce. You have to drive a Deuce. It takes a bit of skill and skill means practice. Enjoy the ride!

ATPTac

Yes, I should have clarified. 1st and reverse aren't syncroed. So driving around in traffic is nerve racking. On our 67 I have to double clutch into 4th, otherwise its a 50/50 shot if it'll go in smoothly or grind.

dslucas

Not to sound like a total idiot (well...I do from time to time lol) but what exactly is "double clutching:? I have heard the term before...mostly in trucker circles, but never knew what it meant.

ATPTac

Not to sound like a total idiot (well...I do from time to time lol) but what exactly is "double clutching:? I have heard the term before...mostly in trucker circles, but never knew what it meant.
Basically you push the clutch in, pull the shifter out of gear and move it to the next gear (but not put it in gear) release the clutch and then push it back in quickly and drop it into gear and then release the clutch like normal. The idea is to get the transmission gears spinning up to speed so the gears mesh.

Rusty Nut

Cool trick for finding those line leaks is to wash the line-off good and dry. Wrap line w/ some toilet paper, have Soldier B give the pedal a pump and look for the wet spot.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your new truck!

It won't take you long to learn how to rev up the engine when shifting to match rpms on transmission & engine. You can also practice your heel-toe downshifting that helps a LOT when slowing down. You can even practice shifting without using the clutch once you're rolling, you just have to be good with working the accelerator pedal to match rpms.

dslucas

Well....took it out for a few hours on country roads to day and got used to it. Then took it in town and got some fuel. No problems in traffic. I am going to have to get used to the amount of attention that goes with it I guess. This thing actually sits higher with these tires than a conventional semi. Pulled up next to one at a stoplight and realized I was actually looking down at the person in the passenger seat lol.
side.jpg.jpgangle.jpg.jpgFront.jpg.jpg
Sorry for the bad picture quality. The only camera I have is on my Galaxy tab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks