• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Find the right Deuce

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disclaimer: I know very little about military surplus vehicles because I am just getting started.

I've decided now is the time to purchase a deuce and was wondering what to look for in one. I know I want a M35A2, but that's about all I know. I've read some specs on different ones, but I know you guys are the experts. I just wanted to know what to stay away from and what to be attracted towards.

I am not a mechanic and now very little about car terms but I know people that have shops that can fix whatever. You may have to dumb it down for me while I'm still learning.

Also, where do you guys go to get surplus vehicles. Are there any military scrap yards one can go to to look around and check things out? I think that would be the coolest thing to do, but the only places I know are private businesses that don't have huge selections.

Thanks guys

greenjeepster

What is your budget? The m35a2 has been basically the same vehicle for 40 years so as far as specs, not much is different. 1986 and later have a better brake system than the older ones do.

If you're not mechanically inclined you should probably lean towards private purchase of one rather than auction, the auction trucks generally need repairs and if you don't already have an idea what to look for..... we will not be able to teach you what you need to know on a forum. Also the auction supply of M35a2s is pretty well dried up at this point.

I would suggest you consider purchasing one private sale through the classified section on this forum. The people selling on here pay a membership fee to do so, they have a vested interest in selling quality products... the longer their forum history the better; don't run out and buy from the guy who just signed up.... and feel free to ask about a persons reputation... anybody who has been on here for several years has developed relationships with other members.

gunboy1656

First off welcome.

What is your intent for the truck? beat offroad or collect? What options do you want/need? Being where you live a heater is going to be a must.

Start with all the options you want and find a truck that has a majority of it, most stuff can be added later. For example you can get a winch truck for about 5000, or buy a non winch truck for 4500 then have to buy the winch (about 1500 + freight at last check) and add it later.

My truck had all the items I wanted except the soft top, got the owner to swap it out and I was good to go.

As for finding a truck, you can check ebay, eastern surplus, army 6x6 and so on.... PLUS the classifieds here.

Good luck in your search.

Edit. One item I was never fond of was a sprag transfer case. Would rather have the air shift so I can control when I need it.

Last edited:

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the quick replies and advice. My budget is around 10k give or take, but that's what I figured most go for. Yes, I am the furthest thing from mechanically inclined when it comes to vehicles, but I would love to learn. I know the internet isn't the best place to do that. Having better brakes would be nice, but I haven't seen any deuces that new. I'll make sure to look at private buyers.

I wouldn't use the truck too much off road, but if I have the chance I will. I just really want to get one to drive around when and where I want. My gun club has a lot of woods so I could have some fun there. I don't know all the options except the winch and a soft cover. I need to learn more about multi fuel or whatever engine and see if that's worth it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There are many threads on here about buying your first MV......some people have issues with the search feature here so maybe one of the gurus can post some links for you.

I agree with the advice to find a fellow member in your area and do a private purchase......if they are a good guy they will let you inspect, drive and see what you are getting yourself into.

Since I buy and sell vehicles like I change shoes I do the Gooberment Liquidation thing......if you are only going to buy one you don't need the hassle of GL.

Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to consider buying one from one of the dealers advertising on this site, or fellow members. That way it's been refurbished (since you're not mechanically inclined) and they can help you with any issues you might have in the future.

I bought mine from a private party for a steal, but I've had to put more than 3 times the original purchase price into it so far and it's STILL not ready to drive....but I am going through everything so it will (hopefully) last many years without major issues. So avoid what I'm going through and get one from someone who advertises here and has already been gone through and/or refurbished. You'll save yourself a lot of time, money, and headaches that way.

Flyingvan911

Read through the deuce forums. (Yes there's alot.) This site has tons of info. There are many things to learn about deuces. Also, download and read through the deuce technical manuals.

lawdog1623

Ill echo the above comments. Buy private party if youre not knowledgeable. Thats what i did and i got an awesome deal on a winch truck and a trailer for $3000. You also mentioned that you have $10,000. This is good because You will end up spending money on things you didnt consider during your purchase (i.e. Taps, dies, torch, ) etc. Ive spent more on tools than ive spent on parrs and i had a ton of tools. Its not cheap to fix these trucks right bit its the only way. You should also familiarize yourself with the tm's and find your fav milsurp parts retailer. AND ABOVE ALL ELSE LISTEN TO THE ELDERS HERE. They know their stuff and are second to none. Im learning all i can from themWelcome to the site.

trukhead

Make friends on the site here. Go to events listed here and look at MV's. Ask lots of questions even if you think it's a dumb question. Check out MVs that are out there.

I bought my duece and then found this site. It was just dumb luck that I got a duece that has been near trouble free. I bought it off of a Gov surplus sale with just the description stating that it was driven onto the lot. That is a crap-shoot some times and not recommended for beginners. This site is a wonderful resource so take advantage of it and get help and find a good running MV.:whistle:

Perusing this site, you will find members that provide different services such as recovery and inspection and maintenance help. take advantage of that! Remember their time is valuable and compensate accordingly. You will save bucks in the end by hopefully not making as many mistakes.:driver:

Have Fun!:-D

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I can tell most people on here really know their stuff and have a lot of good information. I can't wait to get my first mil spec vehicle and drive it around.

The only other question I have right now is whether I should stay with an a2 or go to an a3.

I'm a young person who never learned to drive a stick (never had an opportunity) but I know it's something you should learn and will ask a friend with a stick to teach me.

gunboy1656

Driving an A2 is very easy, in fact so easy the Army threw me in the cab to learn while hauling kids (ages 8 - 13 years old) in the bed. Now that is a challenge.

Imagine the ribbing I would have got for stalling the truck, and the heck I would have got for hurting the kids.

Never drove a stick until that day, and by the end of the day I never injured anyone (other then a game wardens pride) and never gave the kids a reason to heckle me. The game warden issue is good for a laugh another time.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Learning to drive a deuce is a snap.....I was a Drivers Trainer/Instructor and License Examiner and I put a lot of folks through the duece.

If you put it in Low Range it is almost impossible to stall the engine while leaning slow speed manuvers and how to shift gears.......some of the best students I had were females that had never driven I stick....no bad habits to unlearn.

There have been several threads on the A2vsA3.....the A3 is more user friendly and comfortable but will eat your lunch on repair if that yaller motor goes teats up on you.

Read, read and read some more.

missleman

good luck on your hunt. got mine thru a friend,haven't done anything(so far!) but put in fuel.
these guys will guide you in the right direction.
you'll get more looks than a new corvette when you drive around:beer:

mcmullag

you have long journey, grasshopper.

This scares me, "I am the furthest thing from mechanically inclined when it comes to vehicles", but I know you can prevail. Ditto what was said above, find somebody that has one, learn from them about the vehicle and how to drive it. If you look at the dashboard the first time, it looks like the cab of a steam locomotive, everything is mechanical, no power anything except air assist on the brakes(after the pressure builds up for about 3 mins from start up). I read on here for about 6 months, befriended somebody from here, bought truck from them and he has recently helped me detail out my latest one. Don't be afraid to not get the right duece the first time. I sold my first one on craisglist for what I paid for it after two years of using it. My second one I got from GL. Drviing a 6.5 ton truck, designed in 1949, built for offroad applications, is not like driving a manual transmission 1968 chevy pickup. small things to remember, it turns easier around a city corner if you can push the clutch in and roll around that corner, rather than have 8 tires in the back pushing straight ahead....just stuff like that. I was a truck nut all my life and went to trade school for mechanics 30 yrs ago, so I just wonder how it will work out for ya, as this is not something you can pull into just any truck shop and have them fix stuff for ya, but maybe you will get lucky. Read, read, read, do google searches of your questions and threads from here will pop up on google. These trucks were designed to live on dirt and gravel roads, not the interestate, it tops out at 55mph, it likes topping out at 40 mph. Will your local laws allow it to be parked in your driveway or on your street? Start looking at signs on roads you want to drive it on and you start noticing truck signs about, " No vehicles over 10,000 lbs gcvw" and a deuce is 23,000 gcvw. It can be done, easier if ya live in Kansas though. Best of luck.

Attachments

Last edited:

greenjeepster

I would try and find the opportunity to drive both the a2 and a3. Find out which you like... Then start researching the pitfalls of the a3 and decide if they are worth it to you.

The A2:
Looks better
Is faster
Multi-fuel
Dependable trans which is cheap to fix or replace.
cheaper tires.

The A3:
Isn't an A2
Almost has power steering.

murph914

Looks like I am in the same spot. I too am looking and love all this advice. I think my budget will push me to the lower end of the scale. Luckily I own a full machine shop which should help a bit when it comes to fixing things.

G-Force

There are many threads on here about buying your first MV......some people have issues with the search feature here so maybe one of the gurus can post some links for you.

I agree with the advice to find a fellow member in your area and do a private purchase......if they are a good guy they will let you inspect, drive and see what you are getting yourself into.

Since I buy and sell vehicles like I change shoes I do the Gooberment Liquidation thing......if you are only going to buy one you don't need the hassle of GL.

Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

You wear shoes???????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks