• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finding a radiator.......

BBQROD

Finding a radiator for a m35 with a 5.9 cummins engine is becoming a real problem for my wallet! Closest thing I found that will fit is a northern radiator number 239082 for a 2010 bluebird bus. But they cost 738.00 OUCH

I am open to any suggestions.

HanksDeuce

I went with all Freightliner stuff out of a Thomas Built bus for my Cummins 5.9L + Allison AT545 swap. Yeah it's all way overkill for the deuce in proportions, but heck I got the entire engine/tranny/radiator/intercooler/etc for $800! It's a 1997 12valve with 40k miles on it.

A buddy found my donor vehicle on louisianasportsman.com. I NEVER would have looked there. Thank goodness for work buddies that hunt/fish.

You could search Craigslist too. I can't post the link, but search Atlanta Craigslist for "cummins radiator". I found a current ad for one for $350!

Good luck!

Last edited:

BBQROD

I chopped up the mounting flanges on the bus radiator and it fits but hangs down 5 inches below bumper.
I'm gonna call radiator shop and see it they can install a shorter core using my tanks.

Jeepsinker

Well the main thing when either selecting a new radiator or having the bus radiator modified is making sure that they have sufficient capacity. How thick is that bus radiator?

BBQROD

It's a three row core 27" by 38" now. The deuce will be lighter than the bus and I am running an external trans cooler with this setup should be more than enough.

HanksDeuce

I'm not worried about the sizing of the Freightliner / Thomas Built bus packaged powertrain components. They were all sized for a GVWR of 30,000 lbs. The deuce is far less than that.

rustystud

I went with all Freightliner stuff out of a Thomas Built bus for my Cummins 5.9L + Allison AT545 swap. Yeah it's all way overkill for the deuce in proportions, but heck I got the entire engine/tranny/radiator/intercooler/etc for $800! It's a 1997 12valve with 40k miles on it.

A buddy found my donor vehicle on louisianasportsman.com. I NEVER would have looked there. Thank goodness for work buddies that hunt/fish.

You could search Craigslist too. I can't post the link, but search Atlanta Craigslist for "cummins radiator". I found a current ad for one for $350!

Good luck!
You are one Lucky dog !

Jeepsinker

I'm not worried about the sizing of the Freightliner / Thomas Built bus packaged powertrain components. They were all sized for a GVWR of 30,000 lbs. The deuce is far less than that.
Yeah I know, but I was talking about capacity after cutting it down and recoring it to stop it from hangin below the bumper.

HanksDeuce

I know I don't have to cut my core down even though it hangs down into the frame, but others might. I have an electric winch so a PTO shaft isn't a problem I have to deal with.

BBQROD

I'll put up some pictures of the radiator tomorrow it doesn't look all that bad. I think I will install one of my modified bumpers to help with the lower radiator tank. It kind worked out with the lower outlet hose clearing the frame.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks