• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finding the big sockets

Keith_J

Remember, it is an octagon. Not an 8 point double square but octagon. I bet you got a hexagon, the most common nut size.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember, it is an octagon. Not an 8 point double square but octagon. I bet you got a hexagon, the most common nut size.
:ditto:

Axle nuts can come in either 6 sided or 8 sided, even in the same size. That's why you'll find sockets that way.

Any parts store that handles parts for larger trucks should be able to fix you up. I picked mine up at NAPA.

Keith_J

What ever you do, don't use the motor pool idiot method, that is using a cold chisel to knock it loose.

If the nuts on your axles have chisel gouges, look out for other shade tree mechanic shortcuts. And you might have to do some repairs to get the PROPER socket on the nut.

gungearz

I've had success taking a hub axle off with a large pair of channel locks. You can't get them torqued to specs but if you work on trucks a lot, you can pretty much make your own judgment call on where its supposed to be. Its not the correct way but it does do the trick but if you can't make that judgment safely, then I would suggest to torque them to the TM specs...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What ever you do, don't use the motor pool idiot method, that is using a cold chisel to knock it loose.

If the nuts on your axles have chisel gouges, look out for other shade tree mechanic shortcuts. And you might have to do some repairs to get the PROPER socket on the nut.
Most trucks I've had apart from GL had chisel marks on the nuts so It must be pretty common in the military. I'll admit I've done it in a pinch. It's definitely not the best but really all it does is damage the outer part of the nut and will hold just as well as using a socket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks