• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire Extinguisher Color

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What color were the CTG fire extinguishers (Pyrene, etc) in WWII vehicles. I know the brackets were OD but were the extinguishers left their natural brass or painted?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the ones I have ever seen were brass, and I'm sure after a couple days in the field they rather quickly started tarnishing after being out in the weather, so you didn't have to worry about the enemy seeing the sunlight glint off your fire extinguisher. However, I'm also sure that since GIs are GIs, the fire bottles also got painted every shade of green in the book, if and when their vehicles were repainted in the field.

I volunteer every year on the USS Torsk submarine museum - a couple vets of the boat said brass sure is pretty, and whenever the crew had to do routine maintenance, they were told "If it's brass, polish it. If it's already painted, paint it again." Well, polishing is harder than painting over, so gradually almost every brass fitting, air line, switch box cover, etc. would become painted instead of the natural brass! The same probably happened in the Army field of operations as well, but as far as I know, all Pyrene bottles were issued brass.

FrankUSMC

100% brass.
I have never seen a photo of one being painted.
As far as the enemy seeing the brass extinguisher, every one I have seen was mounted under the dash area.
Funny war story on the fire extinguishers. I have been collecting military vehicles for over 30 years, I have only talked to ONE veteran who used the brass fire extinguisher. He was a Marine (for 30 years, joined June 1941), he said when they were sent back to Guadalcanal, for rest and refit after the battle for Guam, the tent area was over run with rats. They would trap the rats, and them spray them with the fire extinguishes. The chemical used in the extinguisher would kill the rats.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. The chemical in the extinguishers was Carbon Tetra Choride. Pretty nasty stuff. Mine is brass and I will leave it that way. [thumbzup]

FrankUSMC

I think you will also like the looks of it. A Dodge WC series truck likes great in the cab area, with the brown leather transmission cover, brass fire extinguisher, and canvas seats. If you are like me, you will catch yourself just setting in the cab during the evening hours, it can be very peaceful.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks