• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire Extinguishers in our MVs

M1031CMT

Got 5lbs units in all the trucks. 5lbs should be the minimum for a car or truck. 5lbs units are made to only shoot chemicals for up to 10-15 seconds max (if I recall correctly). Smaller units just don't put out enough for fuel based fires.

Pick them up for about $50 with a vehicle mount at the local safety equipment store.

Attachments

For use in a vehicle id take a Purple K extinguisher over all others. Its better then an ABC extinguisher for fuel fires and is even effective at putting out a running fuel fire. Give me some CO2 and Purple K and I can put out a running fuel fire and keep it from reigniting.

combatmech

I have a Kiddie 2.5# ABC in the oh-nine. It needs to be recharged though.....Would giving it a good shake help to check for correct pressure? After reading all of the posts, Might consider a 5#. Thanks for all the great info....[thumbzup]

Just remember that when using a dry chem extinguisher near anything electrical it will kill it. What I mean is that the powder in them is extremely corosive and will eat away and gum up all electrical connections and contacts. This will cause never ending electrical gremlins unless you can strip it down and clean everything with soap and water or replace it all.

zout

Fire extinguishers only last seconds - they do not have an ever ending flow of compound to extinguish - meaning they are not like the cowboy movies where they never run out of bullets on a 6 gun without reloading.

Never stick yourself in harms way thinkin that tank is going to bail you out - leave a means of escape.

follow this acronym P.A.S.S.
Pull: pull the safety pin
Aim: Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire
Squeeze: Squeeze the handle
Sweep: Sweep the nozzle back and forth covering the seat of the fire.

Ripcord01

It is good to take them out once in a while to mix up the chemicals. The powders will settle to the bottom after sitting for a while. So I take mine off and carefully flip it for few minute end over end.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same type as M1031CMT. I purchased it at Costco for about $38 with the mounting bracket. They also also have the 10# on line http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11151208&search=fire%20extinguisher&topnav=&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search〈=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=fire%20extinguisher&Ntt=fire%20extinguisher&No=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial

My fire extinguisher is mounted horizontally on the cab tunnel next to to the drivers seat for easy retrieval. Thanks for all the good safety pointers on this thread.

steelandcanvas

The recommendations to strike the bottom of the extinguisher is actually advised against since there is no need in a modern fire extinguisher, and there is more of a possibility of damaging the shell than anything else.
I sincerely doubt tapping the bottom of the shell with a rubber mallet, would compromise the integrity of the extingusher.

jetmech1983

I sincerely doubt tapping the bottom of the shell with a rubber mallet, would compromise the integrity of the extingusher.
I also doubt it. But there is a chance of you actually compacting the powder into the siphon tube in the extinguisher. If you feel like you really need to hit something with a rubber mallet it would probably be better to put it on it's side and hit the sides at the base than straight up and down with it.

mckeeranger

Ours are Amerex ABC. Bigger vehicles like the M35, M817, and pickups have 4-A:60-B:C (10 pounders) and smaller vehicles like Gators, golf carts, tractors, and cars have 2-A:10-B:C (5 pounders)

We also keep first aid kits in all our vehicles, including an AED in one.

We inspect both annually, and restock/service them immediately after use.

It's not that the trucks need extinguishers, it's so we always know where to find one quick.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I am not sure what brand/type mine is. But it came with my M1009 when I got it.
And it works, and is maintained when it needs to be, by a local professional fire
extinguisher company here in Atlanta.

Enough said..

Ripcord01

I have ours serviced( or replaced) every three years. No use in taking the chance of not having any air pressure or a leaky valve when you really need it to be your buddy..

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 2 1/2 gal. pressurized water extinguisher can be used also. If you can add some Class A or B foam it works really well on smaller fuel fires. Foam may be hard to find in such a small amount unless you know some firefighters. However, about a quarter cup of Dawn or Joy detergent works really well also. If you can't find an ABC dry chem, a water can is a good temporary substitute. If you are going out in the boonies and it's dry, a water can is a great addition as ABC extinguishers are not very good on grass fires and such. And being refillable, you can easily recharge the extinguisher with clean water and a air hose in the field.

Troll1216

Thanks for the reminder about the water extinguishers. I had a chance to see the FIREICE product and speak o its inventor at a LE/FR show. It works and they sell the small bottles specifically for the 2 1/2 gallon water extinguishers.

TROLL1216 <-------- FACEPALM...

Whay didn't I think of that!!!
I have a single serve demo at home from the expo still, I just need the jug. Oh well, more $$ out the window....

Here's the linkey
FireIce - Fire Gel + Fire Retardant Spray | Create a Fire Barrier - GelTech Solutions

Not a plug for the product, but they sell single serve containers that fit with the foam thing.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Others mentioned training. Here's a great way to get it. Find a local FD or city that offers CERT training. If you don't already know it you will learn all kinds of useful stuff like Incident Command and the proper use of fire extinguishers. It is great to train with real fire extinguishers and fire hoses on a real fire in a real fire fighting training facility.

Highly recommended and available almost anywhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks