• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Firetruck question.

Knucklehead

I have a question about a military firetruck I saw in action at APG. It was based on a SWB 800 series 5-ton. It had a large tanker body with a pump and booster lines. It was not a 530 style fire body, but it looked like it may have been made on the base. It was painted Very shiney red and black.and had base FD markings. It was responding to an FMTV that went poof on the road by the main gate. My question is who would have fabricated this truck? Soldiers on the base or would it have been sent out to civilians? Thank you. P.S. the 5-ton FMTV did not survive. I tried to take some pictures but the base security people told me to move my bleeping bleep.

NEIOWA

I'm not aware of a DOD conversion. Local base may have made/contracted for one. Grass fires at mil installations are common. You might dig thru the photos at www.dodfire.com "FIRE TRUCKS" and find something.

What/where is APG? most/much of the DOD fire community is on at dodfire so someone there may give you some info.

Or go to forums at www.firehouse.com there is a DOD fire section. Forum appears to be down at the moment so can't give you a better link. You'll figure it out when they are back up.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Knucklehead said:
<snip> . . . My question is who would have fabricated this truck? Soldiers on the base or would it have been sent out to civilians? . . . .
I would bet that it was any one of a number of civilian fire apparatus manufacturers
(E-ONE, Pierce, American LaFrance, Sutphen, Seagrave, KME, Spartan, FMC . . . .)
While some fire trucks are built with a custom chassis from the ground up, there are still many that consist of a specially built body placed on a commercial chassis
(Freightliner, International, Mack, GMC, Ford . . . )
There is quite a bit of engineering and fabrication involved to install the pump and plumb all of the piping, valves, and appliances that are hidden under that body.

There is a company called Roscommon Equipment that specializes in converting military to Wildland fire equipment. Maybe they did it.
http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/

jasonjc

I pasted a NG unit in Kansas that had what looked like some kind of hemmet fire trucks O.D. Green with red lights.
I can't rember the town???

Knucklehead

Thank uou for thr replies. It was at Aberdeen about 3 years ago. Junkyard Wars Crusher, your link showed a picture of a truck that had that body. You people are great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks