• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First '52 XM211

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any one have a picture of the PTO lever for the winch on a M211 or M135?
I'm looking tor the one under the seat. There has to be some sort of safety lockout so I don't wrap the front end up like a roll of toilet paper when I bump the thing while driving. Thanks Dan

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that is exactly what I'm asking about. Mine is the exact same, but it just does not seem safe. The 2 holes make me think there is something more...
I have another one that has some extra brackets on it. Looks like it could be a spring loaded pin or something you have to pull to move the lever. Part is missing so I cannot tell what it is.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see that. thanks. I'm going on a field trip this afternoon to look at some parts. Some of it is there, but the pin is missing. I will get what I can and post a picture of it. I struggled with the exhaust all weekend. Now I'm beating on winch driveline parts.
20/20 hindsight: exhaust before toolbox and steps, manifold before fenders.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started with original. It looks like the muffler took a hit and twisted the bracket and center pipe. I just had a heck of a time. The pipe was getting a little thin, so we made new.
I just have to finish the stack now. The original flex pipe that attaches to the muffler outlet is solid. The bottom of the original stack was thin and failed a screwdriver test. I think I'm going to buy a 180 degree mandrel bend off ebay for $20 to complete it next weekend.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question: Were gauge panels ever not painted?
Mine is anodized or coated with something. It did not have paint that stuck to it. What was there was from the Fire department repaint and came off quite easily by rubbing with a paint stir stick.

USMC 00-08

All the ones I have seen are painted, but the one currently in my truck has a slick, shiny surface underneath and the paint chips off. The paint on it does not come off as easily as yours.

I am probably going to try self etching primer on mine to see if that helps before I repaint it.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck runs great except if over-choked it misses until warm. As long as the fenders were off, I decided to pull the plugs and see if one was carbon fouled. Surprise! cracked porcelain on #6. Easy fix. Whew!
Also a shot of the mud flaps and taillight.

Attachments

USMC 00-08

Are you using the military distributor and military plugs, civilian distributor and civilian plugs or military distributor with civilian plugs?

My truck tries to run like what you are describing. I have military distributor with civilian plugs. Maybe one of mine is cracked as well.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military distributor, wires and plugs. I'm trying to keep this one all original as operated by the the FD in the early 70s.
I think a guy could convert it to High Energy Ignition fairly easily.

USMC 00-08

Do you know how to test the military wires to see if they are any good? I have two sets, but would need to get the military spark plugs. I don't want to buy those just to find out the wires are bad after I install everything.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We hit it hard again today. Finished some small items inside and pulled the grill off for paint. The actual grill needs to be sandblasted. Too hard to sand and the paint is flaking.
The winch lockout turned out well.
I have a main power switch hidden under the dash. Don't tell anyone.

Attachments

USMC 00-08

That all looks great! Could you post some more pictures on how you did the main power switch? I need to do the same. Electrical is not my strong point.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks