• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

first broken front axle shaft

HN6

Broken driver side front axle (long side) on the spline. chunk still in the Yukon locker. removed stub and will eventually get the other piece out. Maybe I will upgrade to the Ouverson shafts/hubs on the front since that is what does 70% of the work off-road. I was barely even moving, in the snow and ice and heard the pop.

Attachments

davidb56

Broken driver side front axle (long side) on the spline. chunk still in the Yukon locker. removed stub and will eventually get the other piece out. Maybe I will upgrade to the Ouverson shafts/hubs on the front since that is what does 70% of the work off-road. I was barely even moving, in the snow and ice and heard the pop.
what size tires/wheels are you running?

DodgeTX

Happy Easter!

Can you describe how you figured out this was the problem other than the loud pop? Where you able to drive to destination after this or did you have to fix on the spot?

I just had a loud pop yesterday and front wheel drive is no longer working. I was able to drive the 20 or so miles home.

HN6

Happy Easter!

Can you describe how you figured out this was the problem other than the loud pop? Where you able to drive to destination after this or did you have to fix on the spot?

I just had a loud pop yesterday and front wheel drive is no longer working. I was able to drive the 20 or so miles home.
Yes, I could still drive fine. Just no power to wheel with front diff engaged. I have a locker in the front so I jacked up front end and spun tire freely without opposite side spinning as well which meant shaft was broken.

Jack shaft from broken side removed and put all back together and drivable again just no power to that one side.

Superthermal

It is my 1cent opinion, that once your axle shafts have been heavily torqued in the forward direction with "gusto", you should be very cautious when using the rig in reverse with the same zeel.
Example, you wheel a lot and the shafts are "torqued" into forward flexing memory. Then you reverse on them with a heavy load, say pulling someone out while backing up. The shafts like a bending hanger, bend in the opposite direction than the metal is torqued in and bam. Happens right away or like this situation just down the road.
Sorry you had that happen.
I was curious what year your M35 was. I have read in threads that some of the early shafts in all size rigs were a bit more brittle than those that came in the later trucks.

HN6

It is my 1cent opinion, that once your axle shafts have been heavily torqued in the forward direction with "gusto", you should be very cautious when using the rig in reverse with the same zeel.
Example, you wheel a lot and the shafts are "torqued" into forward flexing memory. Then you reverse on them with a heavy load, say pulling someone out while backing up. The shafts like a bending hanger, bend in the opposite direction than the metal is torqued in and bam. Happens right away or like this situation just down the road.
Sorry you had that happen.
I was curious what year your M35 was. I have read in threads that some of the early shafts in all size rigs were a bit more brittle than those that came in the later trucks.

Interesting.. 1968

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks