• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First CUCV

NRGarrott

Hello,

I just took home my first m1008. I purchased her on 12/27 from gov liquidation and was notified my EUC was done last week. When i arrived today to pick her up at 9 am at Ft Meade it was blowing rain and snow with about 2 inches on the ground. Not the best day to say the least. I also was informed that my truck that has R spray painted on the window and DR on the door stands for "Do not run." While attempting to load onto a flatbed trailer, that i brought with me, the loader operator ended up destroying the tailgate. No big deal, that's the way it goes. When i got the truck home we ran into a little problem. The ramps wouldn't clear to unload onto the driveway and the neighbors will promptly call Annapolis city if my untagged and untitled MV is in the street. As of right now the truck is half in, half out of the driveway and a friend of mine went to get a skid steer to help push it all the way back in. While awaiting him i started investigating my failure to start and found that both batteries are showing 11.7 volts, the gauge is showing in the red for voltage, and all the glow plugs are showing no resistance between the block and the plug. Looks like i have my work cut out for me.

Nick

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found that with a little TLC, most of the trucks from GL will start just fine.

Good looking truck. Keep us posted on the progress.

Remember how you eat an elephant? One bite at a time....

zout

Good way to get your neighbors to see your new toy = park er half way in the street.

Congrats on the new ride and there is tons of info here to get you up and running.

The yard folks get points for how much they can destroy before you pick it up - I think a tailgate is worth 8 points and the driveline is worth 10. They have a national competition to see who gets the most points - they probably take a video of you picking it up to see who can read your lips of being pissed off - I think they give out extra bonus points for being able to read your lips - but eh - what do I know - its only what I read of folks picking these things up on the yards.

Post some more pics when you get er up and running.

NRGarrott

Thanks everyone! I have a set of plugs on order and the batteries are charging. Anyone know how long govliquidation takes to get the title or SF97 mailed out?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
averages 30 days after you submit the request. They will charge your card and then send the paperwork within a few days

CPAPPY

That about right . Myfirst 2 took 40 days . My 3rd truck took only 18 days. Great right , take forever to get the truck and now this . It's all worth the wait though.

NRGarrott

While waiting on my plugs to arrive i decided to top off my batteries with distilled water, together they took almost half a gallon. Did I do any damage placing them on a 1 amp trickle charger for 24 hours prior to adding water?

I also ordered a new drive-shaft from A1 driveshaft in south Baltimore. Its going to run me $250 for a new shaft. Is this a fair price?

Last edited:

SGT Estum

good lord soldier. Forget the skidsteer and push the **** thing in the driveway! For crying out loud
Ditto.

Or hitch on with whatever you pulled the trailer home with and tow it up there. Chock the tires with some 2x4's and you'll be good to go.

Nice looking unit. Make sure to siphon off some of the JP-8 left in the tank and save it for special occasions.

I love the smell of burnt JP-8. DF-2 is good, but not as good.

NRGarrott

Well, I installed 8 new plugs today and attempted to start, it cranked freely but no smoke from tailpipe and failed to start. I attempted to bleed the filter but didn't get any fuel out. Then i pulled the fuel inlet hose to the filter and cranked the engine, bone dry. I know there is fuel in the tank, i dumped 5 gallons in myself and the gauge is showing 3/4. I assume this means my lift pump is either not receiving fuel, or bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks