• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Deuce -- Rear Main Seal

lobanz

New member and we just bought our first M35A2 yesterday. We ran it pretty hard during testing. Didn't leak a drop of anything. Runs great. However, on our way home, it started leaking engine oil bad. We are quite sure it's the rear main seal -- clutch also started slipping on hills, assume it's wet with oil. Pretty bummed and it's a bit out of my capabilities to repair (no transmission jack).

Anyway, does anyone have any advice for me? What else should I replace while this is getting fixed? Clutch probably. Can anyone recommend a a good diesel shop near Huntsville, AL that has experience with M35A2's?

Thanks!

StoneMill

When I bought my deuce it didn't leak at all during the test drive. Got it on the road and dumped oil all over the highway. I replaced the rear main myself but wish I would have done the clutch and pressure plate at the same time. The pads were soaked with oil and the clutch slipped like mad after we put things back together. Ended up doing it all a second time. For the about $300 or so you can get the clutch, pressure plate, pilot and throwout bearings. The rear main seal in fairly inexpensive. I also did the carrier gasket because of a leak. Bought a whole engine gasket kit from Saturn Surplus, but I needed some of the other gaskets anyway, so it was worth the cost. You could make your own from gasket stock. It's not too bad of a job with a person to help.

davidkroberts

first of all.... relax these things happen when these trucks sit for a long time then get driven. this isnt a preview of things to come.... first of all did you download and read the operators manual.... doesnt really apply but always a good place to start..... secong this truck has probably been sitting a long time you might want to put some seal conditioner in it for good measure and let it idle.... one of my trucks did the same thing but stopped after some conditioner was put in and the seal expanded again....

when you quote the work you want done get your parts in hand. nothing scares a mecahnic like having a truck like hes never seen before come in. Most dont know they work like every other truck on the road. If your going to go into the truck have them replace everything you can. it will save you some issues on the backend. might want to print off the repair manual in the appropriate sections for the guy.

dont worry we have all been where you are and we got it taken care of, this will work out.

good luck

lobanz

Thanks Dave and StoneMill. This is encouraging. When it first happened we were quite disappointed, but after a little talking, reason prevailed. The seller seems to be an honest guy and is willing to split the main seal repair cost. We pretty much anticipate that once this is fixed we'll be good for a while.

Are there any north Alabama or southern central Tenessee deuce owners out there that would suggest a repair shop?

lobanz

Dave: Thanks for your advice. Deuce has 13k miles and < 400 hours. Seller put 4k of those mile on over the last 4 years. Last long trip in it was 2 years ago and went without incident as far as I can tell from the seller. As far as I can tell he drove it a few times per month and seems to have taken good care of it (used only diesel with additives/stabilizer, Rotella T oil, changed oil and filters last fall, allowed ample idling time for warm up and cool down, etc).

Do you really think the seal is dried out?

Also, is seal conditioner pretty benign -- won't gunk up anything else will it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd brave the install and cross into new horizons. The job really isn't difficult and you can do it without a tranny jack. I have a tranny jack available but prefer not to use it. There are quite a few threads dealing with the seal replacement including many photos. The labor will probably out cost the parts. If you are familiar with this stuff even on a car level, you could do the install. Search for some of the other threads and if you decide you want to do it, you will have virtually real time help here along the way if you have problems.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've replaced 4 or 5 so far. Pulling the transmission is very easy, just bigger/heavier parts.

All you really need is a few wrenches, a few sockets, a come-along/chain hoist or cherry picker.

The first one took a few hours and now I can have one out and back in in about an hour. Hand tools only, no air tools.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone recommend a a good diesel shop near Huntsville, AL that has experience with M35A2's?

Thanks!
You will very few, if any, shops that are familar with the Deuces. It is best to learn to repair the truck yourself.

saddamsnightmare

May 24th, 2010.

Loban:

Remember, these are low tech trucks.... When you get into the rear main seal, its always good to check over the clutch, pressure plate, main seal, carrier seal and throwout bearing. Better to fix any other issues while you are in there. My truck had a leaking rear main seal when I got it from too much sitting, and it only got worse and made a mess. Fortunately I had a local towing shop owner who was a deuce mechanic in Vietnam, and so he only charged me $300.00 for the main seal replacement and a bit more for an Air O Matic steering unit install. These trucks aren't rocket science, but modern truck mechanics are used to computerized this and that, and a deuce intimidates them because so few have actually seen one up close.....
Sooner or later you are going to be doing a lot of your own work, because it's just like a Model A or T Ford, the parts are heavy, but generally the tools needed and the skills aren't too complex.... Good luck, now do it right!!!

NB: The rear main seal is fairly closely related to a piece of rope, so they will deteriorate just from sitting. Will Wagner on here hoists his deuce tranny outta the way using an I beam slung between the right and left cab door window sills, takes of the transmission tunnel covers, unbolts and disconnects the drive line and tranny bolts, and hoists out..... A good tree always helped if it clears the windshield frame.....
Cheers.

Last edited:

StoneMill

I was just at harbor freight today. If you have one in your area, you can pick up an engine hoist for under a hundred bucks using a 20% off coupon which are always available.

lobanz

Thanks guys. I've been reading an learning a lot on this site. This is an AMAZING forum. So much good info and great folks. This is going to be a fun project.

davidkroberts

ive never had a problem with any quality suppliment. I use some lucas oil additive and seafoam in just about everything these days. These are older engines the seals are old and some parts are worn. The additives arent going to hurt anything. especially using seafoam in diesel fuel. i dont know why everyone doesnt use it in these trucks.

everyone has there 'thing' that they do that they think helps.... i put additives in everything thats older than i am.

cleb

Lobanz: I just dropped the tranny in my M818 to replace the clutch and flywheel. I may be able to lend a hand. I'm in south Huntsville. PM me for contact info.

lobanz

Are you sure its engine oil and not gear oil from the trans???
Did you smell it???
Yep, smelled it. Engine oil. We saw the level on the dipstick going down some also.

Seemed to be way overfilled also (4-5" above full line at a few minutes after shutdown). But the clutch is wet with oil now, so we gotta go in there.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, smelled it. Engine oil. We saw the level on the dipstick going down some also.

Seemed to be way overfilled also (4-5" above full line at a few minutes after shutdown). But the clutch is wet with oil now, so we gotta go in there.
Oil level is to be checked 1 minute after shutdown to get the correct measurement. Waiting longer will show a higher amount due to oil draining back from the oil filters.

chaplain

ive never had a problem with any quality suppliment. I use some lucas oil additive and seafoam in just about everything these days. These are older engines the seals are old and some parts are worn. The additives arent going to hurt anything. especially using seafoam in diesel fuel. i dont know why everyone doesnt use it in these trucks.

everyone has there 'thing' that they do that they think helps.... i put additives in everything thats older than i am.
uh humm, I'm still older than my deuce, grin

Option one fix it yourself.
option two go to major truck company and find mechanic who wants to work off duty to help you fix problem
option three find shop.

I like option two, the go to guy for future help, buy him a sixpack of dr pepper and pay him well

Last edited:

lobanz

Oil level is to be checked 1 minute after shutdown to get the correct measurement. Waiting longer will show a higher amount due to oil draining back from the oil filters.
Yes. Know that now. Need to recheck now that it's cold. From reading this site, it should be 1-1.5" above full when cold -- about the 'k' in 'check' on the dipstick.

I can't get over how awesome this forum is. Thanks guys!