• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

first deuce with brake isseu

marcel 01

Hi , I'm the proud owner of my first deuce but I have a breaking problem.
I've replaced two breakcyl. and bled the system, the breaks are working but still the breakpedal hits the floor when I'm breaking. Does anyone have a suggestion what else I could try?
Greetings Marcel (The Netherlands)

marcel 01

thx for the response
I did the the airpack first and bled it 3 times, there are no air bubbles to see .
even when pumping the pedal it doesn't get higher I think it isn't adjusting the breaks either.

Jeepsinker

It could have an internal leak. Do you have the long style or short style airpack? If you have a long style there is a small 1/8" npt plug in the cap of the air cylinder you can remove and see if brake fluid drains out or blows out when you push the brake pedal. If you try to blow it out the truck must have air pressure.

sandcobra164

If you have no bubbles, you need to adjust your brakes. They are not self adjusting. There are four cam bolts on the backing plate that you use to adjust. The two up top are your ¨major adjustment¨ and the two on the bottom are your ¨minor adjustment¨. Please look in the TM's or search on here for the adjustment procedure. It's pretty easy as most of these trucks have open diffs. Just lift both sides of the axle you're working on, spin and adjust until you feel a slight drag and then release that one just a tad.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Does anyone have a suggestion what else I could try?
Greetings Marcel (The Netherlands)
Send pictures

You have to help us help you
Did the brakes function properly before and not now?
Did you have "some " brakes and not now?

.......a good way to "cheat" is to attach 90-100 lbs air into the starboard glad hand fitting from a compressor then you can play with the brakes all day with the engine off and listen at each wheel for brake shoes function. Get someone to operate the brake pedal while you listen to each wheel. One can find the leaks and malfunctions easier that way.

When adjusting shoes remember you are dealing with needed .380 mm clearance and do not turn the adjusters the wrong way. Do not force the adjusters.
View attachment brake adjuster fix IMG_3045.MOV