• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Deuce

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are very safe if properly maintained. I would not recommend one for a first car though.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Definitely not good for a first or only car.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Welcome Hummer. All MV's are wonderful and most are prefectly safe for on-road use. What causes an MV to be unsafe is the owner/operator not doing the basic checks and services.
At a minimum, all lights, fluid levels, brakes, air systems(if installed), tires etc should be checked BEFORE each operation on the roads...you know..just like any passenger car you want to drive without hurting anyone.
The big difference is the little deuce weighs in excess of 13K...sits high, stops slow, and is very unforgiving for anything it smashes into.
As far as driving a deuce as a primary vehicle, I think it would become tiresome and expensive. Low fuel mileage and the extra cost of diesel.
Also...most repair parts are not immediately available at most local parts houses and must be bought from a military surplus facility or traded for from another source...like here on the site.
Anyway...again...welcome...and happy deuce hunting:!:

:soapbox:

tomesee1

welcome to the site we run our deuces on the road everyday but i would not want them as my primary vehicle as papabear said very tiresome and exspensive

crazyplowboy

Love driving mine more than anything, but I spend almost as much time maintaining it as driving it (not really, but it seems like it) They are great machines, but not recommended as a first vehicle.
Get one, you'll love it, but make sure you have something else to drive as a daily driver.

scrapman

I do drive mine quite often but you have to be selective about what you expect to do on your trips. Most of what I do is within 15 miles of home. What you wil find out is no drive thru's, limited parking space & mean looks from the tree huggers. Plus side is driving over objects,creating parking spaces [crunchy metal sounds optional & :-D:-D:-D from alot of people.

jmh4x4

don't forget that the interiors are not really weather proof (at least mine isnt), its not always sunny out when you need to go somewhere, though it would save some time getting ready in the morning, you could shower as you drive to work/school. ;-)

scrapman

don't forget that the interiors are not really weather proof (at least mine isnt), its not always sunny out when you need to go somewhere, though it would save some time getting ready in the morning, you could shower as you drive to work/school. ;-)
Ahhh, but what the windows & top let in, the holes in the floor let out. Automatic,self cleaning mode: No extra charge!

Last edited:

jrou111

What is like driving one of them? Could they be a safe street legal? Could they be a good first car?
1. Fun and alot of work. People either love it or hate it. I don't think they are that easy to drive.

2. As long as they are properly maintained and driven as instructed in the manuals. It really depends on your definition of safe. At 13,000lbs a deuce is approx. 3-4 times heavier than most vehicles and if you're not paying attention you could end someone's life instantly. People like to push this too because they'll pull right in front of you and then slam on their brakes.

On the positive, it does demand your attention to the road, and you obviously can't talk on the cell phone or text message while driving which is a good thing. They're very loud too.

3. No way, not even close.

roscoe

I've only had mine for about a month, but I would say its alot like a motorcycle or sports car. Fun to drive but not to practical for the daily grind type driving. I will say though as soon as I get my plates I plan on using it in my business for hauling materials. As others said you don't want to just jump in and take off. It needs a pre trip check and requires more involvement when driving. It does remind me of an old Triumph GT6 sports car I used to have - except for the size of course.:-D

HummerRecovery

Ok so i probably wont get a duece but are there any other good military trucks or anything i could use just to drive to school and what not. I won't really being doing too much but i want to be able to have a good off road car without spending 10k on just my suspension. It also has to be safe, or something safe for me and the others on the road anyways.

littlebob

Ok so i probably wont get a duece but are there any other good military trucks or anything i could use just to drive to school and what not. I won't really being doing too much but i want to be able to have a good off road car without spending 10k on just my suspension. It also has to be safe, or something safe for me and the others on the road anyways.
Don't think I'd ever start out with any MV as a daily driver and primary
transportation. Tha age of most makes them need more TLC and as stated earlier, you can't go to autozone and get a water pump or a lot of things that may put you on your feet for a few days.
Another downside with the bigger MV's is as stated earlier in the thread, the
amount of damage you can cause. You would want to be a very defensive driver like motorcyclists have to be but for the opposite reason(You would be losing everything you own instead of getting someone elses spoils)
Hope you get a P.O.S. daily driver soon and get your back-up Deuce soon
littlebob

Jinx

CUCV would be perfect, IMO.

HummerRecovery

Well i'm pretty sure a Duece is out of the ? cause i don't exactly live in a place where i can just go park it in my lawn. Is an M715 too big? I have other cars for back up, not mine but they are there for me to use, and i do live half a mile from my school so...

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An M715 is the size of a full size pickup. The motor is their weak point (for a stock truck).