• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Deuce

Shadrach

Wanting my first Deuce. Located in Arkansas near Russellville. Thinking about driving down and looking at a few at Ft.Hook then placing a bid and trying to drive it home. If you had to do it over what would you do? Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What deuce experience do you have? I'd not try to get all my first experiences on trying to get an auction truck home under it's own power. Lots of folks do this but the majority of them have some deuce experience. JMHO

jollyroger

I drove mine about 50 miles to get it back to the farm. Before I embarked on the journey it needed a couple quarts of oil and some of the silicone, Dot 5, brake fluid. I did not know how or what but the guy I got it from did and showed me real quick. I also had a chase truck that could pull me if the deuce broke. It helps having help. I would ask some of the more experienced guys about what you should put into a tool/parts kit before attepting the move. If I needed to I could call the guy i bought it from for advice or help. I don't think you can do that from the auction.

Last edited:

Carl_in_NH

If you're going to go and look at the trucks yourself, you're miles ahead. There's a number of threads on what to check over - breaks being a critical item in addition to all the other things one normally looks at in a old truck or car.

A great place to start is the TMs; the listed operator checks are the beginning.

How are you going to register and insure it for the recovery? That's something to think about.

ARYankee

I'm over here in Benton. I've got 2 deuces. One of them is for sale. If you would like to make the trip over to my house some time, I would gladly let you take one of them out for a drive and show you what you are getting into. PM me if you are interested. I usually get mine from Little Rock since its closer to me.

roscoe

Search for threads on "recovery" and you should get lots of helpful info. There is also a recovery items list somewhere with suggested items to bring along. As stated, you will be ahead of the game by doing a preview. I would take Aryankee up on his offer - would be very informative and maybee he has the one your looking for without all the GL hassle.

scrapman

Major necessity items on my list. Cellphone, $$$$$, patience, and food & drink. (adult beverages optional) use of said adult beverages may require larger amount of $$$$$.