• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First drive m998 quirks,noises, nature of the beast ?

auctionaddict

Hey guys, I finally got her running after a month of work !!

My first time in a hmmwv so I have a few questions.. I searched but still not 100% sure..

1- Is the loud gear noise/whine normal at speed ?
2- Temp 180-190 but climbs to 205-210 then fan engages ?
3- Im in N. GA. Looks like I need my alternator rebuilt, It wasn't charging at first, then started, then quit again.. Where is a good place to send it ??

Here is a partial of work done...
Rebuild pump
Rebuilt injectors
Rebuilt radiator
New fuel pump
New ground upgrade
New water pump
New fan clutch
New glow plugs
New smart start system
New batteries
New belts
New hoses
New filters (all)

Thanks !!!!!!!!

mov.jpg
mov1.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks a lot better! They are loud, but no gear whine should be noticeably louder than the 6.2.

panzerwillie

Looks good , my winds a little while going down the road, it did with TB400 and now with the 4L80E, same T/C so i believe is from there, as long as everything else is good, as far as the temps they seem normal....

ke5eua

Looks good.

I used to hate that whining sound. Really noticeable in the 1151s, but as far as I can remember, when you top them out she whines about it.

Just remember, you can get them suck, I've seen it. Never myself in a 998 but I've seen guys who thought you couldn't sink a rock call for recovery.

vitamink

Be sure to check all your geared hubs have gear oil in them. Mine had a whine for a while…until my hub grenaded on me. My 6.5 runs hotter. It gets up to 230 and the fan kicks in.

FloridaAKM

Looks good, now aren't you glad that you stuck with it. Gotta love that N Georgia a/c system you have too, it will be great for a few more months till the cold weather really sets in.

auctionaddict

I know of no whine....it's either geared hub GO starvation or a diff going out, or GEar oil starved.
All fluids are clean and full. Nothing gets hot on a short test drive except the transfer case, And its not that hot.. Looks like its been into before..
Its really hard to tell where its coming from !!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be a tcase...you are using dexron III in the tcase correct?
i usedd to live on a slight hill, I would coast the truck with the engine off to listen for odd noises to see where the yep were coming from...LOL, I even have run beside the truck with the wife driving to find the source of noises...don't laugh, it works.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks