• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Drive

cten

Well it is the first time we hit the open road with the truck.

We took a 30 mile trip to the around the surrounding area. The only thing I noticed is after about 38mph there was shimming and vibration, but figured that to be normal.

Can anyone tell me how the truck should actually drive like.

It is amazing how many people take a second glance at the truck as your driving buy.

I have hooked up a rear plate with a light as we at planning a big trip to West Point, NY the beginning of May which is about a 450-500mile round trip.

I was hoping to use the truck to haul all the equipment.

What types of things do I need to be mindful for with a vehicle like this.

We will be traveling from northeastern MA heading to western MA and then heading south through CT and then into eastern NY.

Anyone out that way if we run into problems that could help out with road service?

Or if you want to honk on the side of the road as we pass though.

I just need to be concerned that I actually get there as I would be hauling the equipment and would not want to put a snafu in things for not arriving on time.

Suggestions, comments and offers of help appreciated.

Regards,

MVtrucker

Shimmy is not normal. Look for out of balance tires, worn front end components and uneven tire wear. I've also encountered bent wheels. Jack it up and rock the tires. See where the "play" is, if any. Spin the tires and check for bent wheeel(s). Worn out shocks can cause a problem. Check tire pressure. I run 50-55 lb. in fronts.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be no vibrations. Joe is right. I would check lug nuts as well (you never know).
The tire pressure should be higher in the front, about 60 psi. I run 70 with my 1100's. 50-55 psi is about right for the rear dual 900's.
Check the wheel bearings for proper tightness.
My front end is rock steady all the way to 60 mph. If I let go of the steering wheel, the truck just runs straight on, no vibrations.
Don't use retreads in the front, try to find the same brand for the front tires, there are always small differences between manufacturers.

Important: Remove the interaxle drive shaft in the rear, there is no differential coupling the tandem axles and the turning radius and front tire wear is effected on solid pavement.
You may need front wheel drive from time to time with only one rear axle driving, so don't freewheel the front wheels.
Make sure that your fuel gauge works, mine doesn't so I use a dipstick in the tank and refuel every 200-250 miles to be sure.
Always plan ahead and take your time. Make sure that the turn signals work! Install a wide view mirror on the passenger side and adjust it before hitting the road (impossible to adjust if you are alone).

I have driven my deuce extensively on the interstates and have listed things to keep in mind elsewhere, but if you have specifics (questions), let us know.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mabye you should check the front weel bearings. I won't hurt to at least repack them before you go. Also check for wear in the steeringbox. if there is too much wear the tires will wobble and vibrate. And don't forget the u-joints. if there is a bad one the drive shaft will sing a horrable song.

cten

Took her up to the highway this afternoon and brought her up to 55mph.

Sure seems go be louder and the temp went up to about 175 degrees.

It this normal as after we came off the highway the temp slowly came back down to 160.

Seem to be nice and straight on the highway and it was about 44 degrees here today and she seemed to run smoother and nicer.

Gee, I did not think that they balanced these tires. I did not remember seeing any weights on the rims like a normal vehicle.

I'll have to get the tools out of the glove box as that may have been the noise that I was hearing on Saturday thinking there was a vibration. Then again never having ever driven one of these vehicles I'm seem to be very attentive to any noise that may occur.

I am looking around for a couple of other mirror to put on each side for better view of the rear tires and back side.

The gas pedal seems to stick a little and will not return and I'm wondering if that could be the return spring that may cause this?

Sort of a pain trying to shift as I have to keep pulling up the pedal every so often with my toes.

Can I replace this with any accelerator return spring from any automotive store?

The truck really seems to like the warmer weather and really like to go fast.

Took care of the following today with the nice weather:

Installed (3) new bows that we made. Put the canvas back on top, but looking for which end goes forward.

There are two loops in the line (rope) at one end and one loop at the other.

Replacement wipers(found some material very similiar to the type that were on the originals and made our own).

Installed a third seatbelt for the middle passenger.

Bought some 26 decible ear plugs.

I think we are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I have not changed the filters and fluids yet and my wait just a little longer before doing so.

Regards,

Loose Deuce

I have a shimmy in my front end when I hit a big bump or a big dip in the road, I just havent got around to checking it out real good yet. :shocked:

For you guys that know, do you have that much of a problem with those brass bushings on the front knuckles wearing out often? :confused:

Desert Rat

Cten,
Change those fuel filters a.s.a.p! Once any tiny impure particle gets in the fuel injector distributor pump you may as well kiss $1200 good bye! I know! It happened to me. Those pumps are incredibly expensive. Plus I was in Terre Haute and had to pay a truck shop to pull off the pump, another shop to fix it, and have the truck shop slap the repaired pump back on. It's not cheap at all. Change all three of the fuel filters. I did it in less that four hours all by my self (well, Nick, my 3&1/2 year old son, helped with getting the tools for Daddy). Your distributor pump will thank you!!!!!!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cten, the normal operating temp for the engine is 185. Without a radiator cover ("winter front"), the temp will probably never get high enough to open the t-stat. The temp will be all over, drop when driving downhill and go back up again when hitting the next hill. I use the radiator cover at all times when the ambient is below 40-45 deg F.
Use a piece of cardboard if nothing else, your engine will be much happier. :)

About the "gas" pedal sticking, check for clearance of the linkage, it is possible that it rubs against the side of the openeing in the floor panel.

cten

Man does it really take (4)hours to change out the fuel filters?

It looks like it would only take about 1hour.

There is only (3) and I would figure un screw, put new filter in, fill with fuel and screw back up.

Anyone have any really clear information on how to do this.

I'll search the SS site also as it can not be that hard to do, but does make sense to do.

I was going by the way that the air filter looked and figured it could go a little longer.

I'll have to get underneath and look at that linkage as it could be a safety issue.

I'll also have to consider purchasing a winter cover by next fall.

Thanks all!

Regards,

DEL03

DEL03

WE JUST TRAVELED FROM COLUMBUS OHIO TO ORLANDO FLORIDA IN OUR NEW DEUCE IT TOOK A TOTAL OF 27 HOURS AND A COUPLE HUNDRED IN FUEL THE RIDE WAS GREAT WE ONLY GOT YELLED AT BY THE TRUE SPEEDERS THE TRUCKERS DIDNT SEEM TO CARE AND THE COPS THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT EVERYONE LOOKED EVEN WHEN STUCK IN TRAFFIC IN ATLANTA BY MILLS RD (THAT STUNK) BUT THE RIDE ITSELF WASNT BAD MY WIFE WATCHED MOVIES AND I WATCHED THE ONLOOKERS

DEL03

NEW OWNER 1967 DEUCE CARGO W/WINCH
MONTVERDE,FL USA

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DELO3, welcome aboard from another FL member! Post pics of your new ride in the members rides section when you can!

bomar76

baja power said:
where in Columbus did you buy it?
I talked to Roger for quite a while today and asked him if he sold any trucks recently to FL....didn't....did sell 2 to one guy in SC (or maybe he said NC).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks