• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First ever CUCV

ilovemyblazer

Hey guys, Im new here to SS and also a new owner of a 1986 M1008. It is my first ever military vehicle! I "mistakenly" won it at auction on GL.

My main concern is that is says it doesn't run!! Its got NO body damage or rust to speak of. Only 32,940 miles and from the pics of the engine bay, everything seems to be in-tacked and accounted for.
I guess I'd just like to hear some stories from you guys that have purchased "non-runners" and had great luck with them.

NOTE: Im still waiting for my EUC to clear, so I do not currently have the truck. Longest 60 days of my life!!!

Thanks guys,

K9Vic

Welcome to SS, I would suggest searching your questions as most everything has been asked in the past here. Especially with GL there are many many post about the "does not run" subject and what to look for. The most important, bring a CUCV key that you can get from me if you need one, just PM me & I can send you one. The other is two series 31 batteries that are fully charged to start the truck. But before you even try to start the truck inspect it over for full fluids, belts, parts connected, etc. The final is drive shaft for fork lift damage as this is common with these being moved around by one. There is allot more, but those are the main ones to know.

Oh and make sure you know the base rules, some only let you tow it out and others you can drive it out. Plan well and make sure you have everything you need and current status to get on the base.

mudman

I guess the key word here is "Mistakenly"..How does one mistakenly win a GL bid??? I got mine at Nellis.. Two new batteries, check the oil and water oh and a new key switch and I had fire in the hole. It has turned out to be one of the best trucks I have ever bought!!

TheWeatherMan

My buddy bought a M1009 that "didn't run" turns out the batteries were dead and the starter wouldn't spin. So we did our redneck mechanic skills and hit that dang starter with a hammer a few times and sure enough it broke free and started. Oh and btw the guy at GL tried to jump it and nothing. But when we jumped it with my deuce and follow the TM how to jump it, that way worked.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I presume that "mistakenly" winning one is similar to how I "accidentally" bought four of them a few years back.

1. "Oh, what the heck, let's throw low-ball bids on these six CUCVs. Maybe I'll win one of them for cheap?"
  2. "What!? I won FOUR of the danged things?! :eek:"

:-|

ilovemyblazer

I presume that "mistakenly" winning one is similar to how I "accidentally" bought four of them a few years back.

1. "Oh, what the heck, let's throw low-ball bids on these six CUCVs. Maybe I'll win one of them for cheap?"
  2. "What!? I won FOUR of the danged things?! :eek:"

:-|
Yeah, see I'm only 18 and I have a part time job. So I was bidding on this and I really wanted a new truck, it went past what I knew I should spend but I just couldn't control myself! I guess Id never make it gambling in Vegas haha

hwcurtice

BTW, I wasn't calling you the slacker....

Nice looking truck. What a deal... That would have gone for way more in my area... Like 3x or more. very rare around here.

ilovemyblazer

My buddy bought a M1009 that "didn't run" turns out the batteries were dead and the starter wouldn't spin. So we did our redneck mechanic skills and hit that dang starter with a hammer a few times and sure enough it broke free and started. Oh and btw the guy at GL tried to jump it and nothing. But when we jumped it with my deuce and follow the TM how to jump it, that way worked.
That reminds me, can and how do you jump start a 24v truck with a regular 12v one?

wayne pick

It can be done if the rear battery still has somewhat of a charge in it. connect jumper cables to the front battery as you would a 12v vehicle, pos to pos, neg to neg. You will probably have to wait at least ten to fifteen min before attempting to start. If both batterys are dead, the cables on the truck MUST BE REMOVED from both batterys and charge each battery seperately at least twenty min each. After charging, reconnect battery cables on the truck and reconnect jumper cables to front battery. It should start at this point. This is a time consuming process, not like jumping a 12v vehicle in a few min but it can be done.

That's a nice looking 1008. Where's it located? Sparta? Also, greetings from the southeast side of Great State of Wisconsin!!

I bought my first CUCV when I was 18. It too was a 1986 M1008. I didn't know what I was getting into, some of the things are a bit different than normal truck stuff (but not really any more complicated), had some problems and got a little spooked off and sold it.:cookoo: But I had to have another one, and since I figured a deuce wasn't too practical, I recently got back into the ring with a 1009, and I love it so far, just have a few little kinks to work out. I just wish I had more $$ to do all the stuff I want to it at once :???:

Check the TM's, and use the advanced search function. I don't think there is anything that hasn't happened to another CUCV already.

I know there's a decent amount of CUCV-owners in WI and Northern Ill. There's at least 3 others in Southeast WI.
And I think there are a couple in Western WI in the Sparta area if you need help getting it out of the auction yard.

ilovemyblazer

That's a nice looking 1008. Where's it located? Sparta? Also, greetings from the southeast side of Great State of Wisconsin!!

I bought my first CUCV when I was 18. It too was a 1986 M1008. I didn't know what I was getting into, some of the things are a bit different than normal truck stuff (but not really any more complicated), had some problems and got a little spooked off and sold it.:cookoo: But I had to have another one, and since I figured a deuce wasn't too practical, I recently got back into the ring with a 1009, and I love it so far, just have a few little kinks to work out. I just wish I had more $$ to do all the stuff I want to it at once :???:

Check the TM's, and use the advanced search function. I don't think there is anything that hasn't happened to another CUCV already.

I know there's a decent amount of CUCV-owners in WI and Northern Ill. There's at least 3 others in Southeast WI.
And I think there are a couple in Western WI in the Sparta area if you need help getting it out of the auction yard.
Hey, nice to see a Wisconsin owner!
I was originally looking for one in Sparta because that was the closest, but my M1008 is in Little Falls, MN.

Im hoping this will be a learning experience and deffenitly not my only MV! As you can see by my avatar, I have a civilian '88 blazer, I got it right before I turned 17. It was my first truck :grin: I love blazers because Im usually haulling more people than I am "things" so Im really hoping in the years to come that I will have a nice M1009! My blazer now is immobilized with a shattered ring gear and is rusting away :mad:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the "Mistakenly" part. You always seem to win the mistakes and loose the ones you really want!

Nice Truck, Welcome to Steel Soldiers and get ready for some work.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my Deuce out of Little Falls, 70 miles from my house. Got my 1009 out of Sparta.
Hopefully you just need two new batteries. I previewed a bunch of 1008's in Little Falls before I bid on the 1009. I would've took any of them, but they went too high for my liking.
Strange you need an EUC for the 1008? I didn't need one for my 1009.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks