• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First fuel filter change, missing important parts

maahes

Doing the first fuel filter change since I got the truck ('71 M35A2). The primary was easy thanks to lots of posts here and the TMs. Then came the secondary and final... removing was easy but when I dissembled everything to get the sludge out I noticed that the filters were pretty much not doing anything.

I seem to be missing the "cup" that the TM says should be between the filter and the gasket:

TM 9-2320-209-20-3-1 page 4-66 said:
2. Press down on cup (3) and using long nose pliers, take cotter pin (4) out of post (5). Throw away cotter pin.
3. Take off cup (3), gasket (6), washer (7), and spring (8 ). Throw away gasket.
These appear to be Mil issue filters I'm removing, and the previous owner didn't seem the kind to take good care of the truck, so these filters have been just flopping around in the housing and not filtering anything since it left the depot. I can see wear marks on the bottom of the housing, pic 2. Secondary and final are the same way, Pic 1 is the exploded view of all the parts I have.

Where can I get the cup? I checked at Napa and they couldn't find anything that would work. Will using some washers and a gasket be enough to seal the dirty from filtered side?
What kind of potential damage could have been done to the injectors and internals of the engine while only the primary filter was working?

Thanks for any help provided! I've learned much from my lurking here already!

Attachments

DieselBob

You can try placing a "Parts wanted" thread in the classifieds. There have been quite a few members upgrade to the spin on filters so there should be some of those cups laying around in some parts collections. Also you might try some dealers like the following.

White Owl - Home Page
M35 For Sale. Deuces for Sale Turbo Diesel, Army Trucks, Logging, Heavy Trucks, Off-Road Big Trucks, Four Wheel Drive, Parts, Truck Parts, M35 parts, M35A2 parts, Deuce and a half parts, Reo parts, 5 ton parts, M900 parts, military vehicles for sale,
Saturn Surplus --> Saturn Surplus on the Web!
Military Vehicles For Sale | Military Trucks For Sale | M35A2 Duece - TNJ Murray

maahes

Cool thanks for the links! The more I look into the Spin on's the more I think that may be the best long term solution than replacing the missing part.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that is a picture of your primary filter, the filter is not the correct one. It should be half that size.

A short filter allows all the gunk and water to collect at the bottom of the canister.

Just be glad you filter didn't look like this. :wink:

Attachments

maahes

Nope my picture was of the secondary/final. The primary was about that bad except the filter that was in it had a longer water type filter that extended below the actual filter. Not sure how to describe it but the whole filter assembly was about 8 inches long. The entire bottom was filled with sediment gunk except for a small path that drained out when I drained the water. I would say the bottom 3 inches of the housing was 80% full of thick sludge. At least the primary was doing its job :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks