• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First HMMWV

DEA AK

Just won a HMMWV on govplanet. Didn’t really expect to win but…

I knew that the inspection stated that it didn’t start, but then I noticed in a pic that (from what I can see) the fuel filter is disconnected?

how does the pick up process work? Do they give you any time to try to get it to run or is it… get that piece of junk outta here!

thx

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the regs of the facility, but in my experience they don't allow maintenance, and even if the truck runs many state that it MUST be towed or trailered off the grounds. Your mileage may vary.

Congratulations, and welcome to the group!
BDGR

DEA AK

Once you get the clearance to pick it up. They want it gone. No working on it other than jump starting , load n go.
thx for the quick reply.
As a side note… any particular site that you all primarily get replacement parts? Best place? Mostly good priced oem type parts? I don’t want to trick it out just get her running the best she can.
Thank you

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thx for the quick reply.
As a side note… any particular site that you all primarily get replacement parts? Best place? Mostly good priced oem type parts? I don’t want to trick it out just get her running the best she can.
Thank you
We have many members with various parts if you post a Want to Buy note, and there are sites like SECO and Kascar that are mentioned and used frequently. The SS member 'Country' on here runs Eastern Surplus and has many parts, and vehicles. Outside of those, Black Dog Customs and Midwest Military Equipment advertise a lot, but I have not used them personally. eBay is very useful as well, but one must take care to not end up with Chinese knock-off parts which have been flooding the marketplace. Even reputable sources get the occasional counterfeit batch, so no one is immune.
BDGR

DEA AK

We have many members with various parts if you post a Want to Buy note, and there are sites like SECO and Kascar that are mentioned and used frequently. The SS member 'Country' on here runs Eastern Surplus and has many parts, and vehicles. Outside of those, Black Dog Customs and Midwest Military Equipment advertise a lot, but I have not used them personally. eBay is very useful as well, but one must take care to not end up with Chinese knock-off parts which have been flooding the marketplace. Even reputable sources get the occasional counterfeit batch, so no one is immune.
BDGR
Thank you very much!

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MacMotors is another selling of reputable parts. Note, they're not the least expensive place, but they often have things others don't. (Same can be said about SECO, Eastern, and Kascar..). It pays to shop around for things, and all of the sellers listed in this thread do a good job listing if something is OEM or 'aftermarket'. For some things aftermarket may be fine, but a lot of that stuff is complete junk and will fails very quickly.

For instance, before I knew any better, I bought a washer pump from an ebay seller. It lasted 9-months before the inside rotted out and it fell apart. 2x the cost I got a pump from Kascar (with a new tank) and it's been 9 months and it works like new. :)

The one thing that most folks seem to get burned on is glow plugs. NEVER EVER buy glow plugs from ebay, they're almost all counterfits.. (some sellers are honest that they are not OEM, but most don't aren't.). Only buy glow plugs from Kascar or MacMotors. (The other places might have them, but I've purchased from those two resellers and they have been "real" parts.)

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is the yard you need to pick it up from? If it's west coast, ship the truck to Retired War Horses and let him sort it out. Steven will give you an accurate account of what the truck needs. Then decide if you want him to get it road worthy or if you want to do the work yourself. It's money well spent having an expert look it over.

Shipping is going to be huge expensive, so in for a penny in for a pound; spend some of it on an expert assessment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks