• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First injection pump change turns ugly

msoumas

So I started work on changing out the injection pump today on my 1009. I got the intake manifold off, took off the top 6 injector lines, and unbolted the pump from the motor.... and apparently failed to anticipate a major step. I tugged on the pump a little, and the pump came back.... with the inside "shaft" still attached. I didn't pull on it so hard as to separate it from the pump, so I can only assume this was part of the trouble with my pump. However, the part I failed to anticipate is the three bolts that apparently hold that front "wheel" in place, and from the looks of it, this means that pretty much the entire front of the engine has to come off. Is this assumption correct? I've attached a photo of the "dilemma" to try to clarify.

Also, does anyone have a photo, or diagram of some sort, showing the order the injector lines go back on? I tried to keep them labeled with a paint marker, but it looks like my efforts were in vain, because now I have no clue which is which. :cry:

Attachments

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Take the oil fill pipe off, reach through that hole with a socket to get the three bolts out, rotate the engine by hand to get them as they appear in the hole. Be careful not to drop them as then you will have to take the whole front apart. Look in the tm here on line to see the injector lines.

good luck

mangus580

When I did mine, I found there was really only one place each line could go... that is, unless you bend them too much. Technically you arent supposed to bend them at all either.

Westech

CPL
one of my pumps did that just by pulling on it by hand. That seams to be the "fail point" or the main symptom of a junk pump. I have done a couple pumps by using the oil pump filler hole trick, it works great.

airmech3839

I'm sorry this has happened to you but thank you cause I am gonna have to change one as soon as we get ours from the DRMO in a week or two and this info will prepare me! Keep us posted on how it goes so we all can learn from your troubles!:grd:

If the fight is going your way, you just walked into an ambush!!

msoumas

one of my pumps did that just by pulling on it by hand. That seams to be the "fail point" or the main symptom of a junk pump. I have done a couple pumps by using the oil pump filler hole trick, it works great.

Yeah, that's how mine came apart like that. I felt a little resistance coming from the two lines still attached, but other than that it came right out. Speaking of, anyone have any good "tricks" for getting at those last two lines?

Guess I'll have to try the oil filler trick when I go at it again tomorrow morning. Then comes the not-so-fun task of pulling out an old, chewed-up manifold gasket without getting any of it inside the engine. :|

Last edited:

msoumas

you have to rotate the engine to align the bolts with the oil fill hole. I also used 1/4 inch sockets.

I tried turning it with a breaker bar, and I didn't see any change in the alignment. I gave up after two short turns. Guessing it's going to take a lot of turns to get a little change there? Don't suppose you know offhand what size bolt that is in there, also?

Westech

CPL
I think they were 1/2 inch but that does not matter really. Yes you have to turn the crank shaft or flex plate whatever you can turn and keep turning till the bolts align enough so you can take them off. Like I said before Get a Repair Manual ! Its going to help you a ton. Also a lot faster then waiting for us to answer.

msoumas

Maybe I'll just have to splurge on the big ratchet for this one.... the breaker bar thing is going to take me days at the rate it was moving.

msoumas

95% there... intake manifold is back on, just the little bells and whistles left but was too exhausted to do it today. 20 minutes tomorrow and with any luck my truck should roar back to life.