• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First LMTV

g4g63tgvr4

Hello all,

I have been lurking for some while now, figured I would post up my current situation.

I bought this M1078 missing some parts. Mainly WETC II shift selector, VIM, and some double check valves in the brake system.
After replacing the shift selector and VIM I have a no start situation caused by one of two codes that pop up in the shift selector; Code #1 4413 solenoid B short to ground and Code #2 2423 Sump temp high.
Code 4413 locks the transmission in N and prevents starting. The engine starts and run well bypassing the VIM.

The truck has 30k miles and what appears to be a recently replaced transmission. I have had a the CIN number on the shift selector, and the transmission number run by Allison and they appear to be friends.
Next step is tracing the short. This is proving more difficult then I thought because of the location of the transmission plug and the lack of specifics in the 700 pages manual I downloaded.
Any advice would be helpful.

I will not be needing the troop bed, or top, if anyone in the Washington area is interested. Having out of my way would be sweet.

IMG_1064.jpgIMG_0996.jpg

Feal318000

i would love to have the top and the bows, but im in ma- prob cost a fortune to ship- best of luck with your truck!!!

tburk49760

Welcome to the addiction. There are a few of us in Washington. I'm over on the dry side of the state close to Idaho. So, expedition camper? I hope to start my build this fall.

scottmandu

Good luck! Chasing electrical gremlins can lead you to drink! If you have WTECII the transmission control pad is actually the computer and I've seen those go haywire, especially if they got wet. I'd follow the harness from the cab to the transmission and see if there is any pinched wires, There are lots of tight spaces a harness can get damaged at.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have seen bad trans harness. The trans harness mates the cab harness drivers side of the hump. Mil connector you can take the grill off and disconnect to check it. Harness runs along the drivers side frame rail. There is a branch off to the throttle position sensor, then heads back to the trans, crosses over the trans and connects to a pigtail cable off the trans. Trans pigtail is around 2 feet long and does not disconnect where it meets the trans. Could be a wiring issue. Where did you get the trans control? Is it a known good one? The trans is reliable it's usually a wiring or control issue. You can separate the keypad and ecu peek inside look for water damage. Add a ground from chassis to the trans control case it's only grounded thru the dash plate. I have a good trans harness and all the other parts.

tburk49760

Yeah, I am going to give it a shot. Are you having a custom box made or are you integrating an existing camper to yours?
I made contact with a couple of vendors of insulated panels at a local off road expedition camper show and will likely have one of them cut the panels for me. They flat pack ship and I'll assemble...

snowtrac nome

you must have got the one I robbed check valves and vim from. we had adaptor cables that we had to install when we changed transmissions in Iraq. if you have a new transmission you may have to wec 2 to wec 3 adapter harness. its been quite a while since I did a trans job on one, it seems I had the same problem on the one I did in Iraq, our warrant officer came in with the adaptor plug for it and it fixed the problem.

snowtrac nome

I was going through some of my old stuff from back then trying to help George on the phone I remember the harness better. it replaced the harness coming from the housing going up making the 90 up to the mounting plate holding the cannon plug, the vehicle harness attaches to. also for wetec II transmissions Allison doc is useless, you can go on to e-bay and find all the prolink stuff you need to access the tcm quite affordably for you guys with 3126 and c-7 acert engines the proling will also access the ecm for those engines too with the proper mpc card the pro ling will allow you to do actuation testing see data and read and clear codes. if you have a c-7 and need to do any re programing say like updating trim codes after an injector replacement you are SOL. as only cat e-t can do it. if you have some intentions of servicing your own lmtv I would suggest picking up a prolink it will make life lots easier when problems arise funny thing is I haven't used mine in years but I think I might just dig it out and dust it off.

g4g63tgvr4

Welp I pulled the pan/valve body. The transmission is dated as a 2008 model on the inside. it is brand new, i would hazard to guess zero miles.

Who ever swapped the transmission did not retro fit the internal harness to WTEC II so it still had a WTEC III internal harness. I sourced an older version internal harness and swapped it in. Baam double N N's

Took it for a spin... made it about 100 yard poof everything powers down, engine shuts off, trans ECU not showing anything. Check the fuses: 15 Amp Trans ECU is popped. At this point I am pretty concerned about my seeming win with the internal harness swap. I re-set the fuse, power on... double NN's! ok try again nice and slow. Goes good. Touch the gas.. Poof powers down, another blown fuse. Here I realized it was related to the application of throttle.

Turns out the pedal, more specifically the rod going through the back of the control panel area had rubbed through the harness that fed power to the VIM.
More than likely causing the replacement of the transmission to begin with. In conclusion I have a brand new transmission!

Pulled the troop seat bed off if anyone wants it?

Thank you snowtrac for calling me. If you need anything let me know.

snowtrac nome

I think that was what I had to do to the one I swapped out in theater glad you found it along with your chafed wire I will be looking mine over when it gets here to make shur the throttle isn't hitting any wires too

srodocker

Welcome to the site! I have a link in my signature for our annual campout in july! Were also on facebook under PNW Steel Soldiers

Ever find a home for your bed?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks