• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First load- 4500gallons WVO

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the smell takes some getting used too. I've been dealing with it myself for a few years, making my own bio, so I'm used to it. My co-driver was not however. I can foresee a lack of appetite this summer if he is riding with me. :cool:

Eric, the trailer has straight air brakes, with spring brakes. Also has a unique parking brake setup. There is a trailer valve on the side of the tanker, and you can pull it to release the spring brakes using air stored in another tank on the trailer. I guess thats so if you don't have a tractor handy or SHTF and you have to move it with something else, you don't have time to pump it up, you pull the valve and the brakes come off. The tank will hold enough air to release the brakes twice, even after sitting for a week.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unimog,
I'm picking it up from large plants- they do the collecting with smaller trucks. They strain, filter, dewater and heat the oil. Then I'm delivering it to a large processor in Charleston, where they convert it to Biodiesel.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah I learned the hard way to pick up on an empty stomach when we were doing the wvo thing LOL. You'd think after changing two childrens diapers you could handle it, but it's a different kind of stentch.

daw_two

Yeah I learned the hard way to pick up on an empty stomach when we were doing the wvo thing LOL. You'd think after changing two childrens diapers you could handle it, but it's a different kind of stentch.
I found someone on SS that I know......:)

It's easy to tell if water is in the UVO --- that's what causing the stench.

goldneagle

I think a 920 would be a little bit too big for what I need... A 915/6 would do nice though.

I am not currently back hauling the finished product- they are working on getting the plant in Charleston fully operational again. It looks like early next year, I will be hauling from Winnsboro to Charleston WVO, then across town empty, then back to the plant in Charleston with a load of WVO, then back to Winnsboro with the finished bio.

Even though it is basicly WVO with a little bit of lye and methanol in it, missing some glycerin, it is concidered hazmat when it gets processed into Biodiesel. I currently do not have the 5 million dollar policy that our federal government wants me to have, so I cannot haul hazmat at this time. (gasoline haulers are only required 1 mil, go figure) I am saving the pennys for the 915/916 first. Plus they won't be ready for me to haul finished product for a few months anyway.

The guy in Charleston is looking to do a truck a day by June, maybe 2 a day by the end of next year. I have several drivers in mind if the operation grows that large. My problem might be finding tankers- they absolutely love the military truck and trailer, they want me to use it all the time, as it is cool and makes a statement rolling down the road.

If this takes off like they are telling me it will, I may wind up doing it full time, or at least staying with SHAW just for the retirement, and to 'play' with
trains.

I don't have to do anything special to the truck to clean between loads- the WVO is filtered to 100mic and dewatered, and there is only about 50gal left in the trailer after it's been offloaded. It will blend well with the bio.
maybe you should clean out the tank of the 50 gallons for personal use (hint hint)

davidkroberts

we have a big biodiesel/ethanol processing plant up here about 30 miles from here. I wonder if i could do something similar. I was just looking at buying a tanker like your for my families fuel business here. They didnt by the trailer from campbell but i sure wanted it after looking at it.

PM sent by the way

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GE, that's what I'm doing.

Right now I have a run every tuesday, going to have at least 4 more a month next month. I'm really needing a m915!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How's that tanker drive in the snow Adam? That has to suck. I hope that M818 has a heater.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't take it out this tuesday! The county where I have the truck stored had 3 ambulances and 6 firetrucks stuck. I wasn't about to drive my 2wd dodge up there to get it, much less play tag with my own trailer...

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I'm saving it up for my AK trip! Plus, I don't have a 'hey man, I want to do this crazy thing' 'ok lets go' buddy around here anymore.

If I had a spare tractor, to haul the oil if I messed up the m818, then I might have.

The county was willing to pay me to pull all those trucks out. If I had had a winch, I probably would have at least gone to rescue the rescuers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks