• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First MEP002A won

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Well, I went the roundabout way of joining :)

I was researching getting a deuce and a half, and that led here and lots of reading. That lead to an account on a certain auction site and watching for weeks. While watching I decided to look into a real generator. Currently have a civilian 5K (read 3K) unit as the power goes out here in central Florida at times.

Today turned out to be my lucky day. Eglin just happen to have a lonely MEP002A that "looks ok" and says does not run. Why this works for me is the fact that it kept the auction low and I do not mind working on diesels. I plan to pull it apart enough to service and re-paint. I take it I should not post an auction link even if it is closed. A few questions for those in the know.

What spare parts should I get now while they can be got?

Anyone know a source for military grade paint/primer for it?

It came without a trailer, so I plan to take my 2500 up there with a 10K dual axle to get it home. It says they offer assistance, can I expect a forklift?

Lastly if anyone in Florida has a proper military trailer for it please let me know. Really looking forward to this project.

Edit: Forgot to mention total came up to ~500 plus a short drive to got get it.

Last edited:

Bighurt

Congrats...I bid on half dozen or so today and lost.

Most sites have a forklift they use to damage property and will load (tailgate loadout available listed on most ads). If it's an un-manned site your out of luck.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks, I saw a few 30KW units I really liked but do not feel like driving 1000 miles for :) I feel I got a fair deal all in all, but I guess we better wait till I get it home.

Bighurt

30KW is way huge, unless you are powering a small village or a factory. A MEP002A will power most every residential house during a crisis.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Yah my eyes were bigger than my breaker box. Does everyone here just use the one main auction site or are there other places to go online and search?

Bighurt

Keep in mind Diesel generators don't like to idle they need a load, so they should be run near capacity. So you made a wise choice.

GL is the biggest auction site for mil surplus. However GSA and eBay have items as well. There are others but I don't know them.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats SandBar on the auction win.

In you original post you mentioned about posting auction links...that is absolutely correct. BUT, we are a visually oriented bunch and we love pics. Just save the pics from the auction listing and post the pics. The reason the owner does not want links posted is that they go dead over time, and with the pictures it will always be there for future reference to maybe help others out.

As to your questions about spare parts, everybody is going to have some other necessity in mind that they want to have on hand. Problem being, till you have enough spare parts to be comfortable, you might just as well buy another generator so you have a doner machine. Until you buy a spare I.P., control box or at least a V.R., a spare DC V.R. you'll have almost as much in those parts as you would another whole generator for the price you paid.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks for the info, pictures attached :)

I really want to go through it and replace what needs replacing and most importantly re-paint it. I could not find a thread on that topic but someone must have re-painted one. You have a good point on just buying a second one, I will surely keep my eye out. My wife sees what a good deal a government gen set is so I have that battle done.

Is 500 a good deal even if it has minor issues (I am fully expecting minor issues)?

Attachments

storeman

Congrats SandBar on the auction win.

In you original post you mentioned about posting auction links...that is absolutely correct. BUT, we are a visually oriented bunch and we love pics. Just save the pics from the auction listing and post the pics. The reason the owner does not want links posted is that they go dead over time, and with the pictures it will always be there for future reference to maybe help others out.

As to your questions about spare parts, everybody is going to have some other necessity in mind that they want to have on hand. Problem being, till you have enough spare parts to be comfortable, you might just as well buy another generator so you have a doner machine. Until you buy a spare I.P., control box or at least a V.R., a spare DC V.R. you'll have almost as much in those parts as you would another whole generator for the price you paid.

Speddman has it right. Comfort is the issue. First get it running.
Jerry

NJ_Toolnut

Congrats on your 002A acquisition!

You will find a lot of very nice and extremely helpful folks here who have "been there and done that" with these units. Reading here and realizing the extensive expertise available ultimately resulted in my decision to purchase. Afterward, the folks here saved me a lot of time, frustration and $ as I worked my way through the issues my unit developed.

Only time will tell whether your $500 investment was a good deal, as it will depend on what (if any) issues your unit has. If you can get it running reliably with the "standard" investment of time and $ (filters, lube oil, batteries, etc.) then I'd say you did very well! At minimum, it looks like you will need to find a cover for your air filter cannister in addition to making the "standard" investment. Storeman might have one.

On the subject of paint, CARC is incredibly tough and the original paint jobs these units receive is not very selective. It gets sprayed all over everything mechanical, and removing it from critical areas can be difficult if disassembly and reassembly becomes necessary. I've read somewhere, perhaps here, that CARC is not very painter-friendly to spray due to the toxicity of its solvent. There are probably some very informative threads about it in this forum. My unit was a Tier 2 reset so the CARC is relatively fresh, but if it needed a fresh coat I would not be considering using CARC even if I could find it some. I'd probably just use a good machine enamel paint and a brush. It's not going to rust, since most everything is aluminum.

I envy you for your 10K dual axle trailer and I hope you get your new generator home safely and easily.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
CARC is not only hazardous to paint it is also very hazardous to sand off!

Rick
I just want to keep the rust monster away. here in Florida it can eat a car in short order if you have the smallest chip in the paint. What does everyone here do to safeguard from corrosion or re-mediate little rust on a MEP002?

derf

i use a ppg automotive enamal paint on mine. the color came from inside the sheetmetal of the generator (forest green) dark in color. the paint is a simi flat and allows fluids to be wiped off without staining.

Your stuff would fail a concours competition because it looks TOO good. BTW, do you know John S, with the Deuce and Halftrack? His shop is in LP.

rickf

i use a ppg automotive enamal paint on mine. the color came from inside the sheetmetal of the generator (forest green) dark in color. the paint is a simi flat and allows fluids to be wiped off without staining.

I just looked through your album, REALLY nice and LARGE collection. NICE.

Rick

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Those are extremely nice. I will now hijack my own thread for a moment :) Anyone know why Demil C would require EUC? It says all over the GL site on Demil B and Q should.

unclebeau

I was told by a G/L guy that the EUC requirement also depends on who or what budget the monies came from. If it could be traced back to a "black budget' or a "special budget' it would require one..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks