• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Military Vehicle: M1009

QuickSilver

I just purchased my first MV last night, a 1985 M1009. I have been lurking here for awhile, trying to gain as much info prior to a purchase as possible. This site has been very helpful.

The truck seems very solid over all. It has about 45k on it. It's not the cleanest one I've seen. She's definitely been used, but not abused I don't think.

The ol' girl does have a couple of issues. First off, 4x4 of either range won't engage. I haven't had the chance yet to troubleshoot it. Hopefully it's just something simple like a hub or T-case linkage.

The other problem is that the engine kind of falls on it's face at anything over about 1/3 throttle, and shakes a bit. When just cruising, under light accel, or idling, it's smooth as silk. Ideas?

Great site!

ralbelt

Welcome aboard.

I would replace the fuel filter, clean the glass ball on top of the IP, run some diesel clean . Do the Doghead starter relay mod as a preventive measure

67_C-30

Welcome aboard.

I would replace the fuel filter, clean the glass ball on top of the IP, run some diesel clean . Do the Doghead starter relay mod as a preventive measure

Ditto.

On the 6.2, don't expect much power beyond 1/2 throttle -lol. They are about a fast at 1/4 throttle as thety are at WOT - even if they are running great. It shouldn't be shaking though.

1986Blazerk5

QuickSilver

Ditto.

On the 6.2, don't expect much power beyond 1/2 throttle -lol. They are about a fast at 1/4 throttle as thety are at WOT - even if they are running great. It shouldn't be shaking though.
Ya, I'm not expecting much in the power dept, but it should still pull smoothly through it's RPM range shouldn't it?

QuickSilver

Congratulations on your vehicle!!!

Welcome to SS!!

Below is a helpful link that will help you in working on your vehicle

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/20600-faq-thread-cucvs.html

Below is the doghead starter relay mod i would highly recommend this

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/60960-doghead-starter-relay-modifcation.html

As of now the training manuals are unavailable but there was a thread as to where they are i just cant find it right now

Thanks! :smile:

original

Check your tires for balance. I had to replace all four of my tires due to warped and broken belts. The truck was really wobbly and smoothed out around 30-35. After buying new tires it is smooth in all ranges.

QuickSilver

Check your tires for balance. I had to replace all four of my tires due to warped and broken belts. The truck was really wobbly and smoothed out around 30-35. After buying new tires it is smooth in all ranges.
Thanks for the tip, but the problem is defiantly throttle sensitive.

QuickSilver

Well, the 4x4 was an easy fix. Someone had put the passenger side locking hub back together with the spline ring backwards so it wouldn't bite the splines on the axle shaft. Piece of cake. [thumbzup]

As for the rough running engine, someone had put a K&N filter in it (which I'm no fan of), then gone mudding and caked it full of crap. I changed it out and things smoothed out quite a bit. It still doesn't seem quite as smooth as it should be under throttle. I've added some 2cycle oil to the fuel. Maybe she needs a little timing adjustment too.