• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First MV: CUCV M1008 or deuce?

squeaky wheel

I've never owned an MV of any kind and I don't currently own a pickup. I drive a sporty sedan and while it's great for long drives on the highway, it doesn't cut it for weekend use. Driving out to my club shooting range is the pits (dirt road that is sometimes muddy and with potholes) and I have no real ability to haul anything. I would have a plain jane pickup as my daily driver instead of the sedan except it's hard to find plain jane pickups, and the price of pickups overall seem outrageous to me. So, I consider the possibility of an M1008 or deuce as my weekend vehicle. I went through the Uses for Deuces thread and was amazed.

Here are the big questions that are relevant to my situation:
1) I live in a subdivision and have a 2-car driveway. My lot slopes from front to back and I have parking space at back of my lot, but I'd have to move my yard fencing to create a path to drive and park behind the fenced in area. I have a good friend who has 50 acres about 20 miles away and I'm sure he would allow me to park there, but having my MV that far away will reduce my fun time with the MV (I fear). Alternatively, I could pay to store it at a nearby storage location but would rather not have to pay monthly storage fees. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2) I'm not a mechanic. I can change fluids and stuff like that, but I've never done stuff like brake work, electrical, hydraulics, engine, etc. I have basic tools but do not have compressor and pneumatic tools. I'm willing to learn and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but it's where I am currently. Is the CUCV M1008 easier for a novice/beginner mechanic to deal with (as compared to deuce)? Have any of you been in similar state of skills when you bought your first MV? Suggestions?

Based on these 2 big questions, does it make more sense to pick one over the other as a first MV?

Thanks!

SDJunkMan

I would make sure you could park a deuce at your home, many areas have restrictions on anything over 1 ton. Also look into insurance, you.may need special insurance due to the size of the deuce.

My M1009 insures the same as a Blazer, no parking or insurance problems like I had with my Unimog. Local shops can work on it if I choose not to, and parts are usually easy to get.

Unless you plan to haul a lot of weight the M1008 should handle most loads. Fuel mileage will be better with the M1008, and less tires to replace when they are needed.

I've never driven a deuce, so I can only comment on the things that seem obvious to me.

Reactions: rtk

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say the cucv over a deuce. I've got both a M1028 & M35A2 & the M35 is getting sold. Unless you've got a real need for a 2.5 ton truck the cool factor of driving it around just because wears off pretty quick. To me the cucv is much more useful to the average guy.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend the M1008.
The Deuce can be added later once you get experience on maintenancewith the CUCV.

Once you understand the 24v starting system and how to maintain it, the rest is fairly easy.
Remember it’s just a 1984 Chevrolet K30 pickup with a few military modifications.
Their old trucks and need lots of maintenance but when properly maintained, will run reliably for years.

Regardless of which you choose, having the proper tools is key to being able to maintain any MV.
Plan on additional tool purchases.

Almost every problem/issue with either vehicle has already been experienced by someone on Steel Soldiers.
Reading old threads will answer questions you haven’t even thought of yet.
Lots of guys here to help if you need it and a vast amount of knowledge is available.
Technical Manuals are available free for download here on Steel Soldiers

Owning a MV is very addictive.
Once you get one, you’ll want another and trailers to go with it and spare engines and parts and so on.
You’ll see

Good Luck.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would go with the CUCV , Deuce is a lot of MV for a first vehicle . AS was said CUCV is basicly a 1984 chevy pickup , check out Mike Morin on FB , he usually has quit a few southern CUCV's up for sale , Hunting for a good MV is half the fun and you came to the right site for info . good luck

JD4440

I would caution you to think long and hard before purchasing either given your circumstances. Over the years I've worked on countless recreational vehicles that had become nothing but a burden/regret for their owners. Paying for storage gets old very quick and usually becomes a graveyard for vehicles that get limited use and neglect. It is very difficult to find a competent mechanic to work on older/specialized vehicles(read this as very expensive). Keep in mind both of these vehicles are old, maybe not much use but old, there will always be things that are in need of repair. Parts can be difficult/expensive to procure. They have zero creature comforts, I suggest you find someone that has one and go on some road trips to see if you actually enjoy driving/riding in one for an extended period of time especially in cold, heat, rain, and night situations. It will leak fluids so be ok with driveway stains or dead grass. All of them have rust, anyone who tells you different is in denial or ignorant. You will break down eventually and AAA isn't going to tow your deuce and billy bob is gonna screw your 24v system trying to jump your cucv. All this being said they are a lot of fun if you enjoy working on them as much as you like driving them. You get a lot of thumbs up and people inquiring about them. Not trying to discourage you, just realize what you're getting into with one.

Lukes_deuce

Ive never owned a CUCV or a deuce, I went straight to 5 tons as my first MV. lol. I wouldnt change a thing. I do have a good amount of mechanical experience and not afraid to tear into stuff. Given your circumstances, I would vote for a CUCV. Paying for parking gets old, as I have my truck at a storage yard. The deuce is a great truck and lots of fun, but they need a ton of maintenance and require bigger tools. A CUCV is a pick up truck. You can store it at your house and likely have most of the tools you need already. With a deuce, its a whole new set of tools.

MarcusOReallyus

1) I live in a subdivision and have a 2-car driveway. My lot slopes from front to back and I have parking space at back of my lot, but I'd have to move my yard fencing to create a path to drive and park behind the fenced in area.

Forget about a deuce. You will have nothing but grief. Best case, you will very soon get very tired of that big monster on your small property. Yeah, it sounds like a lot of fun, but it will get old, fast. You will probably have neighbor problems too, and possibly, the city will want a few words with you. Check those legalites VERY carefully. Unless you have an HOA, of course. If you do, don't bother checking anything. Just don't go anywhere near the deuce.

I have a good friend who has 50 acres about 20 miles away and I'm sure he would allow me to park there, but having my MV that far away will reduce my fun time with the MV (I fear).
It will. Big time. And it will eventually put a strain on that friendship.

2) I'm not a mechanic. I can change fluids and stuff like that, but I've never done stuff like brake work, electrical, hydraulics, engine, etc. I have basic tools but do not have compressor and pneumatic tools. I'm willing to learn and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but it's where I am currently.
You might not want either one, then. They are both old vehicles, and you are going to spend a lot of time working on them.

Is the CUCV M1008 easier for a novice/beginner mechanic to deal with (as compared to deuce)?
Everything is smaller and easier on the CUCV. Parts are cheaper and easier to find. And cheaper. And easier to find.

Neither one is going to be a "buy it and drive it" proposition, unless you are prepared to buy one that is already re$tored,and even then, you will have maintenance on a 35 year old vehicle.

Oerthedge21

You wouldn't survive with a deuce seeing as you have little technical experience. Theyre like working on pickup trucks except you start to need heavy duty tools and even more knowledge of how things work. I love my m35, but I use it all the time for scrap runs and bulk firewood collection. As purely a toy I'm sure it would get old. A 1008 would be a far better choice, my first MV was an m1010, I miss that truck a lot. After a 1008 if you really need to be able to haul more for some reason and actually know what it takes to keep an old truck running, then you can start to think about a 6x6

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks