• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

first MV - M101a3 - need some help

Billsbet0

I've spent a good month researching information on this site before bidding on a GL auction. Then spent another month preparing for the recovery (telling my wife I wasn't crazy) and dreaming up mods while my ECU cleared. Thanks to all the good information on the site, I had a successful recovery and have my M101A3 safely home.

Due to the location of the data plates on the M101A3, I think it must be fairly common for the information to be gone as rocks, sand and whatever kicks up from the tow vehicles and essentially sand blasts the information right off the plates. I did use search but came up empty which mean some one will use search, find what i need and post it for me...

The only thing you can make out on the data plates on my M101A3 is the VIN and the build date. I believe I need to identify a manufacture for the SN97. I'm in So Cal so need this to title and register the trailer.

Is there another data plate on the trailer I have not been able to find? I have found some on the arms to the hitch and on the front of the tub. I'm assuming many companies have made these over the years. If it helps, this one was made in May of 1996. Any help identifying a manufacture or ideas how to get around this would be appreciated. Attached are some pic's.

Thanks for all the great information on this site.

Attachments

3dAngus

They are all made to the same standard.
I would just have dataplates.net make you a new plate with a manufacturer name on it and use it to get it registered if your GL paperwork does not list a manufacturer.

Nonotagain

The data plate that's on the frame is the one that you should be using. The frame data plate will probably indicate that you have a M116A3 trailer as that is the trailer base configuration. The addition of the box makes what you have a M101.

You may be able to use a black magic marker on the data plate to raise the numbers. Don't look for a 19 digit VIN number as most of the small military trailers only used 8-10 characters.

sggoat

Nonotagain is right-the frame no. is the one. You may be able to also use an old rubbing method that Ancestry folks use-piece of thin paper up against the plate and rub with a soft lead pencil--may reveal the numbers

Billsbet0

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Ended up taking the sales receipt from GL and the trailer to the local DMV office and had them "help" me with the process. We were able to find enough information on the tags and made a few educated guesses that they were happen enough with. 3 hours and $24 later I walked out with the license plate.

I did learn the DMV would assign a VIN to me if you can not make one out on your trailer.

Thanks again, the work continues....

Bill

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks