• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First MV, New Member

Lapua Dan

I just started looking at getting a CUCV a few weeks ago. I hadn't looked at GL before then, but found some nice trucks for sale at Sparta. Of course, I couldn't justify spending that much money of those, so I got this one instead.

1.jpg 2.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

I paid as much to ship it as it cost, but it was hassle free. We had to unload it on the street, which was a less than ideal, but it worked out.

8.JPG 9.JPG

I am not a mechanic, so it probably wasn't a great idea to get a truck that doesn't start. Turning the wheel without power steering was not a lot of fun either. However, a friend of mine worked his magic, and the truck was running within an hour.

10.JPG

It has a bit of surface rust, but nothing major aside from the passenger side inner fender. It looks like the truck was thoroughly gone over in 2009. The tailgate is in the back seat and is in decent shape, but I need to find some mounting bolts. I also need to find a spare tire. Overall, I am very happy. I think I got lucky with this truck. Please don't rain on my parade. I think she just needs a good cleaning and some paint.
I have read the operating manual, and parts of the unit maintenance manual that apply. If there any suggestions, or things I should look for or at, feel free to let me know. I will update the thread as work is done, but it won't be frequently, I don't have much free time.

Lapua Dan

The driver's side floorboard as a few pin holes, but looks pretty good. The passenger side has a bit more rust damage in the rocker panel. I don't think either side will require major repair. Not perfect, but not bad.

Private Welcome to Steel soldiers Names john Aka southernsteel im down here in the good ole south NC home of Camplejeune Nice m1009 i would love to have 1 down here they are gettin hard to find and gettin expensive None the Less Welcome if u havent noticed this OD green thing is addicting its like lays potato chip u cant have just one lol :beer:

DieselBob

Looks like a good project start. Welcome to the site from another citizen of the Peoples Republic of Maryland. Looks like you have a nice place to work on it... [thumbzup]

forest522

Welcome! I hope your wife or girlfriend is patient.

As for the to do list - you have come to the right place! Start with removing as much of the interior as you are comfortable doing and you'll find that you will be learning more and more about your new truck. Clean, reprint and reinstall.

Sem makes good flexible paints for dash, door panels and other plastic. Sold at NAPA.

CUCV electric has great info on the electrical system - you' ll love that!

Read the TM manuals and do lots of searching on this site - there are many dilemma's already addressed here.

New batteries! Solid alternators, run the CUCV glow plug diagnostic, and check the glow plugs, if they look horrible - they probably are - get 8 new ones!

After all that, you'll find that you have become pretty darn familiar with the CUCV vehicle.

Most of all, don't rush and enjoy! :beer:

hunderliggur

Welcome to the addiction! I drive to Columbia (Howard County) frequently in my M1009 for "historical display" (it is registered as a Historic Vehicle). Give me a shout and we can get together sometime. I have the same storage box in the back of my M1009.

Lapua Dan

Thanks guys.
I have glow plugs, glow plug relay, and a new controller on the way. I have the starter relay ready to go in. I bought new batteries, but the ones that came in the truck passed a load test, so that is nice.
I managed to find bolts for the tailgate, and a spare tire. I am getting there.
The white box in the back has to come out. It is taking up too much room.
I am hoping to get a few hours to work on it tomorrow. I have a lot of cleaning to do.
The wife actually gave me the money to buy the truck. She in very understanding. I am lucky that way.

cucv1833

Thanks guys.
I have glow plugs, glow plug relay, and a new controller on the way. I have the starter relay ready to go in. I bought new batteries, but the ones that came in the truck passed a load test, so that is nice.
I managed to find bolts for the tailgate, and a spare tire. I am getting there.
The white box in the back has to come out. It is taking up too much room.
I am hoping to get a few hours to work on it tomorrow. I have a lot of cleaning to do.
The wife actually gave me the money to buy the truck. She in very understanding. I am lucky that way.
Welcome from La. Nice Oh-9 Sounds like its on its way. Nothing better than fresh glow plug system and batteries.

Might want to check that the starter bracket is installed and get the front wheel bearing checked greased in the future. Then should be good to go.

Lapua Dan

My buddy looked at the starter and apparently everything is fine there. I just looked up greasing the wheel bearings, and it looks pretty intimidating. I think he is familiar with doing it, at least I hope so.

Billman

My buddy looked at the starter and apparently everything is fine there. I just looked up greasing the wheel bearings, and it looks pretty intimidating. I think he is familiar with doing it, at least I hope so.

The starter bracket is present and accounted for. However, the nut was finger tight and almost off. It's good to go now.

Billman

Have garage, want CUCV...spoken like a true caveman.:mrgreen:

The search goes on for me. Lapua Dan gambled and hit the jackpot.

He's being modest, the truck is mechanically sound and nearly rust free. The sun has done a number on the paint and fiberglass.

leeh725

Green iron disease. I knew there was a name for it.

Anyway, good luck on that project truck. I have a few pickups and one shop truck. I picked up a blazer to play with a while. Turns out, I drive it the most. I think you'll really enjoy it once it's on the road.

Have fun!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks