• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First MV, New Member

Lapua Dan

The white box has a jack, collapsible road safety triangles (or whatever they are called), and some radio manuals.
It only took Billman an hour to get it running, and that included changing the batteries, looking the truck over top to bottom, and going through the manuals to troubleshoot it. I was amazed. The truck has certainly exceeded my expectations. Not bad for less than $2000.

forest522

Good to hear you have support and even better funding from the wife! That's great, I like to bring home her favorite dessert after a full day of working on the Oh 9. When it's all done, summer days driving with the top off - the Oh9's top off that is...:popcorn:

Lapua Dan

Billman and I put in several hours last night working on the truck, braving the thunderstorms and tornado warnings.

Positives-
We mounted the tailgate, rear view mirror, brake pedal pad, removed the inner fender, changed the oil, installed the doghead recommended starter relay, mounted the junkyard spare tire, changed the wiper blades, removed the white box from the back, and did a little cleaning.

Negatives-
The tailgate is little more than junk. The inner fender had rusted through along with the front battery support. It looks like a previous battery may have leaked and taken the metal with it. Some of the mounting nuts attached to the bodywork spin making it difficult (impossible) to remove the bolts.

We discovered that the shift linkage is missing a washer and bushing. Luckily it is easily found in the 34P manual, and ebay apparently has everything.
I am sure there is a trick to mounting the tailgate properly, but I don't know it. Fighting with the springs was an experience. At least the bolts I picked up fit well.

Last week, when we discovered that the purple starter solenoid wire didn't receive power, we made a jumper and used it to start the truck. We knew it was either a bad relay, or a bad wire. This week, as we were preparing to install the improved relay, we discovered that there was no starter relay installed, hence it was a "towed onto lot" vehicle. I will admit, we probably should have looked past step 4 in the troubleshooting manual, but we were in a pinch for time and we just wanted to get it moving and into the garage.

No pictures today. The only pics I took were of unit markings, the build sheet in the glove box, and the rusted inner fender and the hole it left.

Lapua Dan

Looking good Dan. Will look forward to seeing in person some time.
I am shooting for a trip over in the truck near the end of summer. I tried to get the antenna mount and its brush guard off for you, but failed. The top right retaining nut is spinning in the fender, and it is hidden behind the brush guard. I think I will need some guidance with this one.

Lapua Dan

I don't know as I could ever read bumper numbers, but here is what I have come up with (I could very well be wrong)-

Left side

1.jpg

1AE-158 I BDE-1st Armored Division East, 158 Infantry Brigade

Right side

2012-06-01_20-31-05_398.jpg

2-350 LSB62- 2nd Battalion 350 Regiment Logistical Support Branch, Truck 62

From what I can tell, the truck is from Camp Blanding, Florida. It also has a handwritten map of the Camp in the binder from the white box, which most people would probably consider a clue. I, however, went to the internet for answers. It never lies.

3.JPG

I am waiting on a few more parts, then Billman and I are back at it, hopefully this weekend.

Last edited:

epartsman

I don't know as I could ever read bumper numbers, but here is what I have come up with (I could very well be wrong)-

Left side

View attachment 336786

1AE-158 I BDE-1st Armored Division East, 158 Infantry Brigade

Right side

View attachment 336790

2-350 LSB62- 2nd Battalion 350 Regiment Logistical Support Branch, Truck 62

From what I can tell, the truck is from Camp Blanding, Florida. It also has a handwritten map of the Camp in the binder from the white box, which most people would probably consider a clue. I, however, went to the internet for answers. It never lies.

View attachment 336788

I am waiting on a few more parts, then Billman and I are back at it, hopefully this weekend.
WOW, how did a Camp Blanding truck end up in the North? Thats only 30 mins away from my work. I work on Blanding Blvd in OP.

Lapua Dan

We got after it again late last night. We installed a 12 volt outlet in the stock location, fixed the transmission linkage, replaced the glow plug controller, relay and the plugs, changed out the battery cables, changed the transmission fluid and filter, and the fluid in both differentials. We are getting there quickly. I am quite pleased with the progress. She should be ready for the road before the SF97 arrives, hopefully.

Lapua Dan

I had another full day working on the truck yesterday.
The truck had sat without the right side inner fender for two weeks while I tried to find a replacement. I think a leaking battery had eaten away at it.

2012-06-02_01-09-39_437.jpg

Without the fender I had no batteries and was unable to test the other maintenance items we had done. I really wanted to get the truck mobile again.

2012-06-02_01-10-24_927.jpg

I was able to get a replacement and it went in rather well. Even though it was for a K5 blazer, it had dimples in it that matched up with the battery trays in this truck.

2012-06-16_18-55-59_944.jpg

I am very pleased with how it turned out. That was my only major rust issue. There are still a few minor ones that need attention.

Once installed, we moved on to installing a replacement front battery tray, which really cleaned up the previous mess.

We then replaced the fuel filter, CDR valve, air filter, striker bushings, and door pins and bushings. I also installed a fire extinguisher. Not terribly exciting, but everyone likes pictures.

2012-06-16_19-22-02_892.jpg

WARWAG

DOGHEAD relay mod should be your first modification. 15 bucks and 15 minutes can save you HUNDREDS of dollars and hours of frustration. (sounds like a commercial)

WELCOME to your new Cyber Forum Home!

Also you have now done screwed up! You have been bitten by the Big Green Bug and you will want to buy more expensive and Bigger Green Toys to piss your nieghbors off with. Your wife and or girlfriend will think you are :cookoo: in the head. We all are. You are too now. Then you will start to make a yearly pilgrimage to far off lands to show off said bigger and greener toys to other nut jobs that will always have something more expensive to prance around in. That will be your next goal in life......... Welcome. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

Lapua Dan

I think the biggest issue to acquiring a deuce and a half is whether we can get it in a garage. How tall are those things?
Edit- Found the answer. 112" tall. It isn't going to fit.

Last edited:

1942 Mk1

His & Hers???????.........congratulations, and welcome from the N. east.

P.S. If you can't raise the door, you can lower the floor in the garage so the deuce will fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks