• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Parade

jd 9760

Going to Parade the truck tomorrow for the first time. I'll be pulling a civi trailer for our local hardware/ rental store. Going to load some equipment in the bed and on the trailer for my buddies at ACE Hardware. Should be a good time and the kids are excited. I'll post some pics when we get her loaded up! Buddy's rigging up a remote air horn for the guys riding on the trailer so they can scare the old people I guess

USMC4302

Have fun but be careful/vigilant! Some parades have spotty crowd control and some parents aren't so good at keeping their kids from running out in front of you. Some parents will do that, too ... :( Keep your head on a swivel and expect someone to give you a brake check every inch of the way. And with any luck, they won't put you anywhere near a mounted unit ...

Al Harvey

Sounds like a fun time. I agree with USMC4302, have fun but keep your head on a swivel. I love going to parades and seeing the kids, parents, and vets light up when a MV pulls through. Also a great time to learn more about your vehicle in general. I always have a vet come up and mention something he remembers about using or being around one of the trucks. Its an awesome experience.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The worst kind of parade is one where they still allow the throwing of candy. It is against the law around here and I did ONE before the law. It was not good. The MV in front of me was throwing out candy. Guess where the kids ended up?

Pressure washer got rid of most of them from under the truck....... (Yes, I am kidding.)

There is a reason I won't do a parade where they still allow candy throwing.

Have fun and expect vets to salute.

jd 9760

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 6.jpg
Parade went great. we had the longest rig with the most wheels in the parade and probably rank right with the fire dept's ladder truck for most wieght also. We were unit 64 out of 68 I think and other than a friend of our having his willies pulling our church float we had the only MV's in the parade. Had a blast and I plan on doing it again

steelandcanvas

Yes, parades are fun, especially when you see the kid's faces light up. I totally agree with Steve, candy throwing is dangerous and we (our Club) will not participate in any parade that still allows this. I won't do my local town's parade because of lack of crowd (child) control, and parents too busy texting. My Dad would have beat me like a rented mule if I ever ran out in front of a truck and survived. Like the other's have said, keep your head on that swivel. An assistant driver can also be helpful spotting rogue children in your path. Above all be safe, and have fun!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks