• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Post & Bob starts this weekend! Lots of ???

Awesome Possum

Hi,
Many know my son Badga the Badger, MV crazed 15 Y.O. and partner in my M35A2. We had an M109 box on it for a while, but changed our mind to bob the deuce. It's an '85 AMG, depot rebuilt in '95, and came with a hardtop, Michelin super singles (1100-R20) and air steering. The box is off, the trailer bed is bought, and we have a 12 leaf front suspension.

The first question is tires as I want this to roll when mechanically complete as we're doing it in a friend's yard. I want to use the 1100-R20's (I seem to have some extras). The hubs came flipped for singles. Do I have to raise the bed higher than normal in order to clear the tires or can they go on straight with the 105 bed?

Second question is what would you do first? I'm thinking of starting by removing the brake lines, then all of the rivets and bolts holding the rear axle mounts on, then jacking the whole thing up onto stands and pulling the rear end out. What have I missed?

oddshot

Hey bud!!!

Try this website:

XM381

Mike's how to fotos are GREAT GUIDES for the nube bobber! They helped me a whole lot!

While yer there ... down load the Deuce manuals on his site! FREE!!!!

Remember ... (and write this down) cheap is good. FREE is better!:-D

If you have specific questions ... first try the "search" function on this thread ... there's is a LOT of information on this subject here. Also ... if you DON'T use the search ... the MKL's will GITCHA!!!!:shock:

And I KNOW you don't want THAT to happen.

Otherwise ... if you got questions ... just come here and one of us other whiney nubes will gladly help you out.

Good luck on the project.

BRING US PICTURES!!!!

oddshot

197thhhc

The 11.00x20 will fit fine no need to raise the bed. You are pretty much right on removing the axles. We like to torch off the rivet heads on the side plates and pop them off then torch the rivets on the frame put a big bottle jack on the spring pivot bar and with some persuasion she will pop apart. Just make sure you get your frame supports stable in front of the axles SAFETY FIRST That long frame gets a little wiggely without the axle attached. Good luck and have fun. Ted

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Awesome Possum, any chance that you are related to WRECKERMAN, if not (even if you are) be VERY careful around him, he is REALLY into possum

Last edited:

Awesome Possum

You might want to have a look here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/68287-just-bobbed-first-ride.html

Ol' Uncle Oddshot has been tryin' to post stuff that might be useful to the first time ( just like me!!!) bobber.

oddshot
Thanks,
I've had this bookmarked for a while and have been keeping an eye on it.
As for that XM 381 site, I did a Happy Dance :jumpin: when I saw that 'cause I knew then I'd have no trouble keeping my truck registered as a Former Military Vehicle down here in Texas. I'm thinking up all the possible ways in which they might have configured the XM381 during testing. It boggles the imagination!rofl

badga the badger

since my dad is neglecting his own thread, ill post the progress. from where he left off, we removed the rear bogey and are now to where we need to either cut the frame or install the rear suspension.
question #3: should we cut the frame first or install the back axel and suspension and then cut?

ill post pics and likely have more question in the morning but hopefully the night shift can get this.

Last edited:

Awesome Possum

since my dad is neglecting his own thread, ill post the progress. from where he left off, we removed the rear bogey and are now to where we need to either cut the frame or install the rear suspension.
question #3: should we cut the frame first or install the back axel and suspension and then cut?

ill post pics and likely have more question in the morning but hopefully the night shift can get this.
Someone should get to bed on time (Note post time!) Oh well, he is right. We did FINALLY get the suspension off of the frame, finally resorting to a new (and clean) cutting torch. The d#$% rivets STILL didn't want to come out and it took the jack in the center prying the middle joining suspension doohickey rod and the cross member to, well, that didn't do it either. It took Badga and the BFH to knock loose the one side. Repositioning the jack merely caused the bogey to twist a bit, but I guess it pulled the rivets out a touch more. 20-30 whacks of the BFH later and Badga had knocked the other side loose. He'd also taken out the driveshafts and done all the other heavy grunt work, without which I wouldn't be imagining the fun of the finished Bobber. OUR finished Bobber!

He'll interpret this as sarcasm but it's not. He's done one helluva job and it wouldn't have gotten this far without him. Kudos, Kyle!

Attachments

oddshot

From where he left off:

we removed the rear bogey and are now to where we need to either cut the frame or install the rear suspension.

question #3: Should we cut the frame first or install the back axle and suspension and then cut?
When I was where you are now in the process ... I mounted the suspension first ... then cut off the rear part of the chassis.

A tip: Measure, measure and measure again, before you cut, drill or mount ANYTHING!

When I bobbed mine, my targets were to:

1) keep the axle square to the chassis so the truck didn't "crab walk" when done.

2) keep the rear axle and wheels centered in the wheel wells of the bed

3) keep an appropriately tight space between the bed and the cab.

4) have the tailgate bump stops hit correctly on the bumperettes.

I was pretty paranoid about keeping everything straight and square. I about wore out two tape measures and a ruler checking and re-checking everything.

I honestly think that the measuring, checking and re-checking soaked up the greatest hunk of my time.

Take your time ...

oddshot

Awesome Possum

Four months later and we're back with a vengeance! Due to record heat and a bad elbow almost nothing's happened during that time, but me and Badga got the rear springs mounted this weekend. We also discovered how versatile and necessary a Harbor Freight crane can be, particularly when every tool we needed had to ride over to my friend's house in the back of a little Saturn 4 door.
We used the crane not only for moving and positioning the springs, but also for putting upward tension on the drill when drilling the holes into the bottom of the frame. I’ll quit yacking and let the pics show the story.

hey Possum, i am also currently bobbing my truck. On the XM381 site did you notice the tire does not look centered in the wheel well? I have my front spring hanger's in with one bolt and c-clamped the rear.just finished placing the body on the frame . it is looking like I have to slide the springs back a bit. have to get a better look in the day light.

Dirtygrunt

I set the frame at ride hieght and then put the trailer bed on then i measured the center of the wheel well and thats what i lined up the axle with. When i set it up using the measurements for the xm381 site the wheels were not centered i dont know if it was something i done or not.

Goose2448

I hope you chocked those front wheels, I know its been sitting there for a few months, but chit happens. Last thing you want is that truck to start rolling forward with you under it. Otherwise it looks like its going good.

Awesome Possum

hey Possum, i am also currently bobbing my truck. On the XM381 site did you notice the tire does not look centered in the wheel well? I have my front spring hanger's in with one bolt and c-clamped the rear.just finished placing the body on the frame . it is looking like I have to slide the springs back a bit. have to get a better look in the day light.
I'm actually mounting my bed about 10" farther back on the frame than normal, and using the space for a rack for large ammo cans, maybe for a spare too. Since I had the big delay, i need to get it done and out of my friend's yard. Moving it back simplifies the front hanger placement by not having to remove the air and fuel tanks, and who knows what else. The longer wheel base will give me a bit more (deuce) high speed stability. That's my story, anyway, and I'm stickin' to it.....