• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First post, First truck, Lost puppy

MisterGuns

Hey guys. I've been interested in buying a 5 ton truck for a while. Truth be told I don't know much about anything though. I was kind of hoping for the kind of advice that is "I wish someone had told me this before I bought my truck". I've done some research on my own, talked to some nice people. I'm not a mechanic. I was told to stick to an M923A2 because it is easier to find parts for than older trucks. Specifically engine parts. I talked to a guy today who was a beautiful truck from the late eighties with low mileage in great shape for sale who said they were all the same. I'm willing to pay a higher price for one that is in better shape and will require less maintenance. I will be using it to drive for fun and to put some advertising for my business on it.(I own a gun business). I searched the forums for a thread like this, I hope that I'm not duplicating anything. Can you guys offer some advice on the best trucks to buy, what is easiest/cheapest to maintain, model differences, and what to look for or avoid?

R Racing

The A2 although a very nice truck does have some features like ctis that can both be neat but can also be trouble some. You might want to look at a A1 that doesn't have that feature. It also has the ultra reliable Cummins 250. Also the old m813s are nice and simple to work on and have a more unique look.as far as parts are concerned anything from the 800 series ( m813 m813 ect ect) up to the m939 series (m923 m925) they are all very easy to find and are available.

Last edited:

MisterGuns

Are pretty well all M923's easy to gets parts for? Any 923's to avoid? Are the 80's year models ok to buy? Whats the difference in the originals and a2's?

Last edited:

R Racing

Yes all,are easy to get parts for. It what your looking for. The m923A0 doesn't have the super singles. And has the Cummins 250. m923A1is the same truck with super singles and ABS (some A0s had ABS added) the m923a2 has the smaller but turbocharged 8.3 liter engine and super singles and CTIS ( central tire inflation system ) when the system works it's great!! When it doesn't it's a nightmare !!!!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys. I've been interested in buying a 5 ton truck for a while. Truth be told I don't know much about anything though. I was kind of hoping for the kind of advice that is "I wish someone had told me this before I bought my truck". I've done some research on my own, talked to some nice people. I'm not a mechanic. I was told to stick to an M923A2 because it is easier to find parts for than older trucks. Specifically engine parts. I talked to a guy today who was a beautiful truck from the late eighties with low mileage in great shape for sale who said they were all the same. I'm willing to pay a higher price for one that is in better shape and will require less maintenance. I will be using it to drive for fun and to put some advertising for my business on it.(I own a gun business). I searched the forums for a thread like this, I hope that I'm not duplicating anything. Can you guys offer some advice on the best trucks to buy, what is easiest/cheapest to maintain, model differences, and what to look for or avoid?

Welcome to the site .
Since your not a mechanic , you need to find someone near you that works on military trucks, most heavy truck repair shops won't ( or don't know how ).
Keep in mind the military swaps out gauges so mileage/hours may or may not be true. RRAD rebuilt trucks are a crap shoot , they may have had a complete rebuild or just a new paint job. All the trucks require regular maintenance , this can get expensive if your not doing it yourself.
It's up to you to decide if you want a cargo body , van body dump ect. . Cost to maintain varies do you tools ? Wrenches up to 2 inch , 1 inch drive socket set , 1 inch impact gun for changing tires . On trucks with CTIS you have to unhook the airline to change a tire. Read the Wiki in the 5 ton forum on different models.

Do you have any experience driving large trucks and trucks with air brakes ?
Download the -10 TM and read it . TM9-2320-272-10.pdf all tm's for 939 series can be downloaded here
[h=1]TM's for the 939 series trucks[/h]Since it is for your business you may need to comply with commercial regulations . Do your own research on this .
Do you have parking without zoning or HOA issues ?
Be sure to read the insurance stickie as insurance / registration threads are not allowed , so do your homework ahead of time.
Insurance

R Racing

Well that's a matter of several debates. Normally the super singles are desired more due to the truck having more ground clearance and more top speed being they are taller tires. They float a bit better in soft soil and tend to drive nicer. The duals are nice if you get a flat if it's in the rear you don't have to in some cases change it than and there. The duals being shorter give the truck more torque. They cost less to replace .

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

The easiest to find driveline and engine parts for is the A2 models. The 250 cummins is a very old and no longer produced design. They were produced from the 60's till~...

86m1028

I'm just south of you, I have an m923 that you are welcome to come by & check it out.
It does have a Texas Title.

Last edited by a moderator:

R Racing

The easiest to find driveline and engine parts for is the A2 models. The 250 cummins is a very old and no longer produced design. They were produced from the 60's till~...
I'm not so sure I agree with you. Parts for 250 are readily available both new and used. I was looking for a turbo manifold a few weeks back and found tons of parts including new in the box heads. Intakes .and blocks along with all the internals. These engines are being used by many other things in the industry such as pumps and generators. On and off road trucks.and are also used world wide. I venture to say they are more of them than the 8.3 . Also some parts are interchangeable between the small and big cam version. The platform of the 855 is well proven and extremely reliable engine group.

Jeepsinker

If you want longevity and comfort you will want a hardtop. The front seam has a habit of ripping all the stitching out, and vinyl/ cloth will never last as long as steel. Installing a hardtop isn't hard, but is easier with two people. Hardtops also keep the in cab noise level down and keep you drier in inclement weather and warmer in the cold.

Jeepsinker

I didn't say they don't make parts. They no longer make the engines. Try buying just one new slug. You have to buy all six to get one. And they love to shatter liners for some reason around the bottom. I'm not saying it isn't a good motor, it just isn't as good of a motor as the 8.3.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I've had the 250 in a M816 wrecker and I have the 8.3 in my M927. I'll take the 8.3 any day. There is not much power potential on the 250 without spending some money and constantly worrying about blowing it up. The 8.3 can be turned up to 400 HP with a few mods and still be reliable. Plus it is a lot peppier than the 250.
There is a guy near me that uses a very nice M923A2 as advertising for his western store.

MisterGuns

it looks like the a2 going to be the way to go. I thought they were like 90s and later trucks. Apparently they arent. How are a2's identified vs others? Anyone know a reliable source selling quality trucks at reasonable prices? Preferably in Texas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks