• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First post, First truck, Lost puppy

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it looks like the a2 going to be the way to go. I thought they were like 90s and later trucks. Apparently they arent. How are a2's identified vs others? Anyone know a reliable source selling quality trucks at reasonable prices? Preferably in Texas.
It's the only version with CTIS. CTIS components on the wheels=A2 along with the 8.3 turbo engine. They were made from I believe 1989-1992

dawico

Good morning, i read through the foregoing posts; ctis, if it becomes a nighmare can it be eliminated from the truck?
Yes, and it is pretty simple to do. Kits are available if you want to go that route.

I have a 923a2 and am very happy with it. It is very simple to work on and diagnose. It is my first and only (so far) MV. The 923s seem to be the most available style.

Csm Davis

Okay you will have to make up your own mind as to which is for you. They all have pros and cons I do disagree with Jeepsinker on the driveline availability though for the A0 and A1 parts are everywhere but the axles on A2s are different and therefore more expensive and harder to come by. The older 250 is as said super reliable and you can find anything needed to keep it on the road. I am a mechanic and love them all but they all have some drawbacks.

939A0 cons
Heaviest model of all
Slower
Doesn't have that big tire look
May not have ABS (most will)
Oldest of the series
Intermediate drive shaft in between transmission and transfer case is hard to maintain and is expensive to replace
Pros
More torque (almost as good as 809 series)
5 spare tires
Cheaper tires
Tires weigh less easier to handle
Over all less things worry with (no turbo, no CTIS, fuel system is not as finicky, no o-rings in wheels)

939A1 cons
Heavy but less than A0
Less torque than A0
O-rings in wheels tend to leak
Tires cost more
Tires weigh more
Truck is harder to get in
Intermediate drive shaft in between transmission and transfer case is hard to maintain and is expensive to replace
Pros
Faster top end but the tires are limited to 55 so should be better mpg and less wear on motor.
Bigger tires(so better ground clearance, better approach and departure angles, less ground pressure)

939A2 cons
CTIS (parts are expensive, hard to find, and is a complex system that most do not need or ever use)
Extra parts to remove when changing tires, you need more tools
O-rings in wheels tend to leak
Tires cost more
Tires weigh more
Truck is harder to get in
8.3 has turbo that needs to be taken care of or will be expensive to replace, and the fuel system is picky about air getting in.
Less torque than 250

Pros
Lighter
CTIS (will automatically keep tires at full inflation, I love the system when it works)
Faster top end but the tires are limited to 55 so should be better mpg and less wear on motor.
Bigger tires(so better ground clearance, better approach and departure angles, less ground pressure)
8.3 is great little motor and can turned up easily, parts can be found easily
Intermediate drive shaft in between transmission and transfer case is easy to maintain and not expensive to replace

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have matched my M925a1 against my nephews M931a2 on the dirt drag strip at Haspin a few times and he beats me by a cab length every time, so they are pretty close considering I'm a few thousand pounds heavier. Just my 2cents.

Another Ahab

Welcome form Virginia

Hey guys. I've been interested in buying a 5 ton truck for a while. Truth be told I don't know much about anything though. I was kind of hoping for the kind of advice that is "I wish someone had told me this before I bought my truck". I've done some research on my own, talked to some nice people. I'm not a mechanic. I was told to stick to an M923A2 because it is easier to find parts for than older trucks. Can you guys offer some advice on the best trucks to buy, what is easiest/cheapest to maintain, model differences, and what to look for or avoid?
Hey, that would be nice:

- A one-shop/ one-stop short concise thread that had it ALL in a nutshell

- Boil it all down to the ONE perfect all-purpose MV

- And then EVERYTHING you need to know about it....

laughing.gif

KsM715

I don't have any advice on the trucks, most major parts for any of the trucks are easy to come by ( if you know where to look, and steel soldiers is the place to start when ever you need a part or advice) but sine you have a gun business ( depending on what type of business ) I would suggest finding a gun ring and a dummy display gun to put up top when you have the truck parked out front.

Andrmorr

Sooo...Did you end up getting a truck? Don't pick our brains, peak our interest and then leave us hanging...
Hopefully you got a M927A2 and turned it into a 2 place Afghanistan gun truck...How cool would that be sitting outside a gun shop...or 2 M-45 Quadmount air defense guns...man O man what a display that would be!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks