• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Post from Canada!!!

charlietango

lol .. thats the silliest thing i've heard in a long time 197! he clearly needs a deuce to go with his trailer AND a 101 to go with his CUCV. :driver:

MilChevyguy

OH boy, I found a seller just an hour from me that has some M35A2 and other older trucks....gona take a run up this weekend if the weather holds up and see them.

Already too deep now, might as well find a M101 too for sale, or maybe just the box from the hummer hi style trailers for my trailer frame!!!

The problems begin now

charlietango

what... is....that .....smell......its smells ...like.... GREEN DISEASE!

Your wife will be ecstatic. I take zero responsibility. lol

you'd need to retro-fit some 16" rims on that trailer too btw. best to just keep that trailer the way it is. Its a gem!

charlietango

Thanks for posting that Ron, our guys contributed a lot over there and given the fact we have 280,500,000 less people than the US and were severely under-equipped I believe we did a **** good job. RIP Corporal Mike Alexander Seggie, Private Chad Horn, and Corporal Andrew Grenon who took the heat of the enemy attack in their LAVIII under heavy 120mm former soviet mortars (apparently the first attack with a weapon of this magnitude to allied troops since the start of the afghan campaign), RPG, and a strategized assault with small arms that fateful day in September 2008. It was the end of the tour and you almost came home to us. (sadly, it was the last patrol mission of that tour, they were scheduled home that weekend)

We're all proud of you guys. The bastards who took you and your LAV from us felt the wrath of Canadian sprit and camaraderie.
We will never forget.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2008/09/03/afghanistan-canada.html

MilChevyguy

Awesome...had some warm weather today (Zero Degress Celcius) OK warm for me in Canada!!!

Put a pair of old batteries I had in the garage in the M1010.....clicked the glow plugs 4 times....and then cranked it over till it started.....AND

IT STARTED no problem after about 10seconds of cranking!!!!

Smoked a bit....rumbled and sounded bad (I don't really know what it should have sounded like anyway) but ran continuously for over an hour
till I stopped it and started it again....2 seconds and running again no problem at all.

Initially the smoke as kinda blue/white...but it cleared up after 10mins....and didn't smoke at all....rans smooth and steady with no smoke after that.

The engine oil is blacker than tar...so now to get all the fluids changed out.....hoping for another warm day but snow in the forecast again!!!WTF

I drove it around to check shifting and brakes and its all good...I am VERY surprised from what I was told when I got it dropped off from the seller.

SO what is next that I should do?? I asked in another post about removing the box and making it a regular pick up....but not sure if anyone has done
a box removal on a M1010.

charlietango

is it a diesel or a gasser? (could go either way on the Canadian owned ones)

the 6.2 is a VERY cranky cold starting engine. It clacks and shakes like its going to explode, totally normal. Smoking those colours at cold start-up and diesels are also totally normal. Its un-burnt fuel

if its a gas job the fuel milage is BRUTAL with the ambulance box on it, but if diesel it will be good. I'd personally think they look bad-ass as they are. get the antenna mount mounted on the box, get her all badged up and they look unique. But thats my opinion.

next things to do? check all your front end components, take apart and check your brakes and related lines, exhaust leaks. Vacuum lines might be rotten or close to it, thats a cheap project. other than that get her on the road and enjoy it.

MilChevyguy

CT....it is a diesel 6.2L.....untill the engine warmed out and it smoothed out, I was VERY worried...sounded like a gas engine that spun a bearing and about to throw a rod ! ! !

I am working out in the cold and snow today, but if I pull a favour I am be able to get it to a shop this week and up on the hoist to have a look around. My work uses a local shop and the owner
is a old school solid guy so I know he will give the the straight goods if the front, rear or middle have any problems once it is up there. AT least I can now drive it there...WOO HOOOO

Would a set of HMMVW Goodyears in 36/12.5/R16.5 tires fit this truck? I forgot to check the rims today but I am pretty sure they are 16.5inches..... These were in a local ad here and the last pic looks like the same size
but would the suspension have to be modded to fit them under the M1010??
HUMMER TIRES.jpgHummer tires 1.jpgHummer tires 21.jpg

Man this is getting worse by the day...Im starting to sell off stuff to buy more stuff for this truck ! ! ! !

charlietango

36 is pretty tall, might need a small lift. it probably has 31's on it now? I know on my M1009 i'd need a 4" lift to get 36's under it (i have 31.5's on the stock config with no rubbing on turns)

there is a local 4x4 shop here who quoted me $600 to lift it properly 6"

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run 255/85-16's on my M1008,(33.3" tall). Some run 285/75-16's which are wider and a bit shorter. You can get 35's on the truck if you trim the front fenders, front and rear opening near bottom for more clearance. Larger tires will need some lift on the truck.
IMG_1665.JPG

MilChevyguy

11Echo...that looks great.

Are your rims 16 or 16.5??

I was hoping the Humvee rims would fit but I have to verify the bolt pattern is the same on a the M1010.
They have bolts all the way around so I figured they are factory bead lock or just split rims, not sure if they use tubes on them
but I am sure I can find that out in the Humvee section here..

Love this site....already has helped me out so much with just getting the truck running and see what is missing.