• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Post - Introduction - My MEP003 Saga to Date...

NJ_Toolnut

Hi Everyone,

My name is Stan and I’m an addicted tool nut and home shop machinist. I live in western NJ, near the Delaware River about 30 minutes east of Allentown, PA.

This has been a year of extreme weather events in our area. Irene occurred in August (three days without electricity) and then we experienced the freak snowstorm at the end of October (eight days without electricity). Since we live in a rural area, we depend on the grid to be able to pump water from our well. The last power outage saw us filling up water jugs at the local creek for use to flush toilets. As a result, we became convinced we needed off-grid power, but what strategy would be best?

We are good friends with a family that have an automatic propane-powered backup generator. It cost about 15K$ installed, way too expensive for our budget. We also considered gasoline-powered big-box store generators, but they are very noisy, use fuel that is difficult to store due to volatility and rapid degradation, and are not generally considered very reliable. My search for an optimum strategy led me to research military surplus generators, and I wound up winning an MEP003a from Government Liquidation.

My research led me to read TM5-6115-585-12 and -34 as well as every post on this site pertaining to 002s and 003s, so I have gained a lot of knowledge about these units in a fairly short time. Thanks, Steel Soldiers Forum Members! I feel very fortunate that such an extensive pool of knowledge and expertise on these units is available online. In fact, this availability had a strong influence on my chosen strategy. In addition to what I have learned about these units, I have adequate mechanical and electrical aptitude, as well as some experience with diesel engines and electricity (I own a diesel tractor and pick-up truck, and I wired my own workshop, including a sub-panel, rotary phase converter and 3-phase machine tools and their motor control circuits).

My 003 came from the mid-November auction at Fort Meade (Lot 10284, Item 5302). There was a bit of a bidding war for this one, but it was the one I wanted so I hung in there. Getting it home was a breeze, except for the weather (constant rain). The trailer was brand new, purchased by DoD when the generator received its Tier 2 reset at Letterkenny in February 2008. The load range E Firestone tires were a little low on air pressure but otherwise in great shape, and the trailer pulled behind my F-250 like it was not even there for the 220 miles back home.

Here is what I observed about the unit when I first inspected it: All openings had been tape sealed. After nearly four years, the tape was very difficult to remove. Someone had bent the trailer tail light attachment brackets with an incorrectly placed forklift tine. The oil and fuel filters were missing (as expected), but a brand new air filter was present. I got lucky and found the oil filter spring and retainer wedged between one of the cables to the slave receptacle and the shelf below the control cubicle. The DC electrical system was complete with battery cables (including the jumper cable), battery hold down and even the little rubber flaps intended to protect the binding posts. The Hobbs meter had 2.3 hours on it, apparently just from the run-in period following the Tier 2 reset. I figured that batteries, oil and filters would be the only items I needed to acquire to run it.

I purchased a couple of Group 34 batteries and the necessary filters and installed them, added 6.5 quarts of 15-40 diesel grade oil and tried to start the unit.
The first issue I encountered was a fuel leak at the head of the secondary fuel filter where the bolt that secures the filter body passes through the head. A trip to NAPA allowed me to acquire the replacement copper washers (essentially gaskets) needed to fix this leak. Fixing this leak allowed me to spot a smaller leak that was occurring around the brass bleeder plug for this secondary fuel filter. Some Teflon tape wrapped around the bleeder plug fixed this leak and cured (or so I thought) my fuel system issues. I bled the fuel system, noted no leaks and observed good fuel flow back to the tank from the injectors.

I noticed the next issue when I installed the batteries. When I touched the positive battery cable to the binding post to complete the starting circuit, I observed a small spark (the master switch was off). With an ammeter, I noted a phantom load of 3.3 amps. I later discovered this load disappears upon removal of fuse F1 which protects the charging circuit. Since 3.3 amps would discharge the batteries quite quickly, I temporarily dealt with this issue by removing fuse F1 whenever I was not running the unit.

Preliminary results indicated it was OK to start the unit, so I fired it up and adjusted the frequency meter to 60 Hz. I let the unit run for an hour while checking functions/controls and monitoring for oil/fuel leaks. Oil pressure was good and the air shutters moved to a partially open position as the unit warmed up. I plugged a 1500 watt electric heater into the convenience outlet and confirmed generator function. This load barely deflected the percent rated current ammeter in the control cubicle.

The next issue I observed was an erratic function of the frequency meter. Originally set at 60 Hz when the unit first started warming up, it suddenly pegged to the left side of the meter (<55 Hz) and fluttered there (probably due to vibration). I immediately shut the unit down, let it sit for a couple of minutes and restarted it. As soon as the unit reached steady state speed, the frequency meter again pegged at <55Hz. I subsequently discovered that upon each cold start, the frequency meter would operate properly until the unit started warming up, at which point it would peg at <55 Hz.

The next issue I discovered was that the DC battery charging system is apparently overcharging the battery. After the unit has warmed up and continues running, the battery indicator meter gradually drifts upward in voltage into the red zone above the green zone. I have not yet checked the actual charging voltage with my multi-meter.

I next performed a full load test, using my workshop electrical system as a load. To connect the generator to my workshop, I created a dedicated circuit consisting of a 50 amp 120/240 volt receptacle protected by a 50 amp circuit breaker fed from my workshop’s 125 amp sub-panel, flipped off the main breaker in this sub-panel, and back-fed the output from the generator into this sub-panel using this new receptacle (yes, I know this violates NEC, but I was careful and this is a temporary situation intended only for testing. I need the receptacle anyway for a future welder purchase and I will eventually wire a manual transfer switch for the generator). Using a combination of machine tools and baseboard electric heaters, I was able to load the unit to 48 amps @ 240 volts and sustain this load for 30 minutes. I was pretty satisfied at this point.

I was shutting off heaters and machine tools to end the load test when the next issue became apparent: The unit suddenly shut off just like someone had turned off the master switch! I immediately shut off the circuit breaker on the unit and turned off the master switch. After waiting about 5 minutes, I tried to restart the unit. The engine turned over at normal speed, but would not fire. When attempting to restart, I noticed that no white smoke was coming from the exhaust system, which led me to suspect the engine was not getting fuel. I confirmed good fuel flow from the injectors and IP back to the fuel tank with the master switch in the prime/run mode, and also confirmed correct throttle/fuel shut off solenoid operation. Next, I removed the injector line for the #3 cylinder at the IP (this cylinder numbering assumes #1 cylinder is the one closest to the cooling fan) and checked for fuel flow from the IP while cranking the engine. There was no flow. Due to the difficulty of observing the IP and throttle setting while cranking the engine using the master switch, I decided to ensure the throttle was in the open position by wedging a small wood strip between the throttle lever and the top of the oil filter body. Even with the throttle jammed open in this manner, no fuel was being output by the IP to the #3 injector line fitting.

My suspicions pertaining to the observed issues are itemized below. If there are other possible causes that need to be eliminated, please let me know.

I believe some component of the IP has failed to render it incapable of metering fuel. Sitting for nearly four years without being run was not kind to this unit, and it was especially hard on gaskets, o-rings and other non-metallic parts. For example, the o-ring for the strainer body had completely disintegrated. Perhaps the o-rings in the IP have experienced a similar fate. Is there anything else I can check to confirm this suspicion before removing the IP to inspect it? If I can confirm the no start situation is due to the IP, I’m going to have to learn how to fix it based on the -34 TM, previous posts here, and probably some additional questions. Can anyone imagine an IP failure mode that would cause the symptoms I observed? Getting the engine to run again is currently my highest priority issue.

The DC voltage regulator may be overcharging the battery. This issue may be linked to issue of the 3.3 amp phantom load I observe in the charging circuit when the master switch is off. To confirm whether the charging system is actually overcharging the batteries, I need an engine that runs to check the charging system voltage. This is a low priority issue at present, but the inconvenience of pulling fuse F1 at each shut-down and reinstalling it prior to each start-up is not going to be a tolerable long term situation. Have any of you observed a phantom load like this? Could it be caused by some component of the charging circuit having failed closed so as to create this load?

The erratic behavior of the frequency meter leads me to suspect the frequency sensing/amplifying circuitry is failing open somewhere. As the unit warms up, all the metal components expand slightly, so perhaps there is a loose connection at one of the transformers or the frequency transducer. My short-term solution to this issue will be to buy a Kill-a-Watt meter, but not until I get the engine to run again. A longer term solution will entail reading past pertinent threads and the -34 TM for any gems that might lead to ideas for testing.

Once again, I’d like to express my appreciation for all of your informative posts. If you have any suggestions regarding what I can do to better troubleshoot these issues to determine their root causes, I would really appreciate your contributions to this thread. I have a lot of confidence that this generator will eventually be a very reliable unit, but I realize that I still have a lot to learn about it.

Best regards,

Stan

amolaver

while i can't answer most of your questions, i can commiserate on the frequency meter as mine performs exactly as yours. fortunately, at least on mine, the ACTUAL output frequency is rock solid per two different multimeters on both the convenience and main outputs. i haven't bothered with the meter as i can easily confirm operation with the multimeter but will eventually deal with it.

per the battery overcharging, you need to put a meter on it and see what kind of voltage it is getting. if it is seriously overcharging, it will kill the batteries fairly quickly so that would be high on my list to sort out once you get it running again.

ahm

Keith_J

The frequency meter transducer has aging capacitors. Probably not repairable as most are solid potted. Either get a replacement or retrofit a digital. The meters must be made of gold as OES wants $109 for them. The transducer can be removed and tested on house current, should output 100 microamperes at 60 Hz input.

The injection pump may have a stuck open delivery valve from dirt keeping it open. This will prevent delivery of fuel. Easy to check without major effort. Since your system was without filters, this is likely.

The phantom load is the capacitors charging. Charging?http://www.gctrucks.com/24_Volt_Regulator.jpg

Last edited:

NJ_Toolnut

ahm and Keith,

Thanks for your responses.

Regarding the potential for killing the batteries by overcharging, I'm aware through past (painful) experience with an old Ford Fiesta that it ruins them fairly quickly. Since noticing the potential issue I've been monitoring the charging voltage as measured by the meter in the control cubicle and stopping the unit once the needle moves above the green area.

Regarding the frequency meter issue, would a failed capacitor exhibit my symptoms? I ask because capacitor failures I've dealt with in the past (electric motor start and run capacitors) have been one time only complete failures that opened the circuit, not intermittent failures per my symptoms.

On the topic of the IP, how would I check the delivery valve for sticking due to dirt? Will it require IP removal? I know what the delivery valve is, but I really need to dig through all of the past posts on IP issues and re-read the section in TM-34 on rebuilding the IP.

Stan

SPCWarning

NJ _Toolnut,
I can't answer the questions but the ones before my post here sound like they come from experience. There's a lot of experienced people here, and all willing to assist.
I can however, say "welcome to Steel Soldiers, from Mississippi". I'm sure it won't be long and you'll have the answers you need. Welcome aboard!
Jimmy

amolaver

as with the frequency meter - check the charge voltage with a multimeter at the battery terminals to see what it really is. whenever you are concerned about a meter reading, the 1st thing i do is doublecheck with a different meter :) especially these electromechanical meters that have done a lot of sitting in unknown conditions...

nj_toolnut - i've seen err, one time capacitor failures (think, BANG!), but also heat or vibration related failure modes. it sounds like keith_j has specifically seen this failure before, so at the least, i'd give it a good test.

btw - thanks keith for the transducer test value. i've got some higher priority fish in the pan at the moment (like getting the gen wired to the house), but i'll check it. thanks!

ahm

Keith_J

ahm and Keith,

Thanks for your responses.

Regarding the potential for killing the batteries by overcharging, I'm aware through past (painful) experience with an old Ford Fiesta that it ruins them fairly quickly. Since noticing the potential issue I've been monitoring the charging voltage as measured by the meter in the control cubicle and stopping the unit once the needle moves above the green area.

Regarding the frequency meter issue, would a failed capacitor exhibit my symptoms? I ask because capacitor failures I've dealt with in the past (electric motor start and run capacitors) have been one time only complete failures that opened the circuit, not intermittent failures per my symptoms.

On the topic of the IP, how would I check the delivery valve for sticking due to dirt? Will it require IP removal? I know what the delivery valve is, but I really need to dig through all of the past posts on IP issues and re-read the section in TM-34 on rebuilding the IP.

Stan

Very easy to pull the delivery valve, just remove the big cap nut on the center of the IP, then remove the 12 point nut under that cap. Clean it out and reinstall.

No need to pull the pump.

coyote62ny

i had the same issue with my d.c charging system on my 003 i will bet when you get it running and put a multi meter across the batteries you will get over 30 volts the longer it runs the higher the voltage goes your voltage regulator is shot you can get a new one from southern automotive phone number is 1-248-335-5555 or you can call tom badgett at gulf coast trucks he will have a used one then there is delks surplus 1-336-629-0991 gulf coast trucks and delks would also have a transducer for your hertz gauge hope this helps you get the parts you need

NJ_Toolnut

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your posts. I've been a little remiss in not responding sooner, but I had some machining projects stacked up and I wanted them out of the way before getting serious about tackling this no start issue. I really appreciate your experience and willingness to help, as this generator is quite complicated and all of you have far more expertise than I do.

SPCWarning,

Thanks for your welcome from MS! I see you are from Stonewall, but there are three in MS. Are you in Clarke, De Soto, or Homes county? I lived in MS for almost ten years (I grew up in MI) and went to graduate school at the University of S. Miss in Hattiesburg. Afterward, I moved to Pearl (just east of Jackson) where I worked for the MS Office of Pollution Control as a field biologist. My job gave me an opportunity to see a lot of your fine state.

amolaver,

Once I get this unit running again, I will confirm battery charging voltage with a second meter. I will also test the frequency transducer as Keith described (Thanks, Keith!). I don't believe I've ever tried to measure microamps before--I actually had to check my multimeter to confirm it has the required range. Additionally, thanks for educating me regarding non-catastrophic capacitor failure modes.

Keith,

I noticed that you edited your earlier post to add info from Gulf Coast Truck & Equipment that describes how to test the battery charging circuit. Thanks! Based on this information and the additional text you added to your post, it looks like the 47-50 microfarad capacitor connected between terminal 3 on TB6 (+24VDC) and ground will pull about 3.3 amps until it charges, but once it is charged the load I measured at the positive battery binding post will disappear. Is this correct?

coyote62ny,

Thanks for providing sources for new and used DC voltage regulators. This information will be useful should I need to replace mine.

Regarding my no start issue, I pulled the delivery valve on the IP as Keith described. There was a little varnish on the point of the valve, but it did not appear seriously dirty to me. I may have screwed up and gone too far in my disassembly, however: I took a pair of needle-nosed pliers and pulled out the delivery valve seat, and the spacer came out with it. The spacer is made of some type of polymer--perhaps Viton? It may be somewhat swollen, and one end is quite discolored--almost black. Anyway, I tried very hard to put the spacer and valve seat back in its orfice in the head assembly, without success. It should fit in completely, over the full length of the spacer so that its flange is flush with the orfice it fits in, correct? Through my effort, I managed to damage the spacer, taking a small elliptical chunk out of it. I noticed from the TM-34 that these spacers are replaced at IP rebuild, so I think I need to source an IP rebuild kit to get a new spacer. Does anyone know of a source? Is this spacer also a seal?

I reassembled the delivery valve as best I could, hoping that the delivery valve holder would force the valve seat and spacer back into position. The unit still will not start, but this now may be because I have not correctly reassembled the delivery valve, assuming that the unit originally stalled because the delivery valve was sticking and that I cured this by cleaning it.

Perhaps if I can purchase an IP rebuild kit and install the new delivery valve spacer from it, the unit may start now, perhaps not.

As always, I would appreciate your comments.

Best regards,

Stan

Keith_J

Another common cause of no fuel is a stuck IP piston. There is a spring which causes the piston to move towards the cam shaft. If the throttle on the IP is hard to move or stuck, the piston could also be gummed up. See the FAQ on how to resolve this, it is best to use solvent over brute force.

NJ_Toolnut

Thanks, Keith.

I think the FAQ you are referring to may be in the Wiki, where in Part 6.2 under the IP, the following is stated:

"O.D. Fever posted this help for a Stuck Injector Pump Plunger also: "Before you remove the pump try to unstick it. I have done this with success twice. Remove the long hex nut, then remove the 12 point nut under that nut, use needle nose plyers to remove deverter valve inside the hole, don't loose small plasic spacer. Use a small brass punch and tap the plunger that works the valve back in, roll engine over a crank or two and punch it again. If it starts to go in and out on its own, your done." I did this and it worked for me. Just be very careful not to damage anything."

Turns out that O.D. Fever was not kidding when he said to use a "small punch". I tried sizing the hole with various small drills (carefully cleaned first). 3/32 is the largest one that will fit, but it goes in the hole so far upon insertion before it bottoms out that the back end winds up below the lip of the hydraulic head. The drill that fit is jobbers length--2 and 3/16 inches long. I inserted the drill (back end first) in the hole until it bottomed out, and I could have used a punch to tap on the fluted (cutting) end but I did not do this because I was concerned that the back end of the hard alloy steel drill would damage the end of the plunger. I tried moving the IP control lever while holding the end of the drill in the hole, and the drill did not move while I was moving the control lever. I also tried turning the engine over with a rachet wrench and checking to see if the drill would bottom out in the hole either deeper or shallower, but there was no change. Does any of this new information allow confirmation that I either have or do not have a stuck plunger?

While I'm waiting for a response, I'm going to see if I can find a thin brass rod to make a punch. I have several brass punches but none are even close to 3/32".

Thanks again for your help. I am commited to either get this unit running by the end of the week or failing that, at least know what is wrong with it.

Stan

Keith_J

Stan,

The control lever will not move the piston. The piston is moved by the cam in the engine. This is what pressurizes the fuel. The control collar slides on the piston and controls the volume of the fuel injected by each stroke. It must move freely.

The piston also turns to distribute the fuel to the correct cylinder.

NJ_Toolnut

Thanks, Keith.

So, based on your response and going by the terminology in the TM-34, piston=plunger and control collar=plunger sleeve. Is this correct?

So if the plunger was stuck in an open or partially open position against the pressure of the plunger spring, then the pump tappet would no longer be riding on the multi-lobed cam that is machined into the engine camshaft and this situation would result in fuel not being delivered. Is this correct?

If all this is true, then the testing I just did does not permit any conclusion about whether or not the plunger is stuck, correct?

Thanks again for walking me through this. Meanwhile, I'm going to find a brass rod. If necessary, I will buy one larger in diameter and turn it down on the lathe.

Stan

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used a 1/8" drill bit. Others have used them as well without issue. I think the brass rod thing is for safety sake. Someone could possibly forget that it's in there on install and turn the engine over. I could see the rotor gear being stripped off pretty easy. So long as you pull it out post install and don't turn the engine until it's out, there's no issue with a drill bit. I think it was just more of a insurance thing from the manufacture.

Keith_J

Thanks, Keith.

So, based on your response and going by the terminology in the TM-34, piston=plunger and control collar=plunger sleeve. Is this correct?

So if the plunger was stuck in an open or partially open position against the pressure of the plunger spring, then the pump tappet would no longer be riding on the multi-lobed cam that is machined into the engine camshaft and this situation would result in fuel not being delivered. Is this correct?

If all this is true, then the testing I just did does not permit any conclusion about whether or not the plunger is stuck, correct?

Thanks again for walking me through this. Meanwhile, I'm going to find a brass rod. If necessary, I will buy one larger in diameter and turn it down on the lathe.

Stan
:beer:. I don't like the idea of using a punch on the plunger because it only takes a tiny bit of dirt to ruin these parts. Take the delivery valve out and hit it with Berryman B12 Chemtool to dissolve the gunk first. Then if the plunger is still stuck, you can try the plunger tap.

I would recommend running the priming pumps with the delivery valve off to wash out any dirt and the residual B12 Chemtool.

NJ_Toolnut

I'll get some Chemtool, but I tried the solvent I had, some choke, throttle body and carburetor cleaner (contains methanol, acetone, toluene, not necessarily in the order of their concentrations). I sprayed the orfice containing the plunger using the small plastic tube attached to the spray can and let it soak about 30 minutes, then I used the punch I made from 1/4" brass rod (I turned one end down to 3/32" over a length of about 2") to tap the end of the plunger inside the hole (I very carefully cleaned the punch first, but I had not yet read the above). Punch lasted about ten light taps with a small machinist's hammer before bending (very small hammer, very short handle). At least the bent end of the punch did not get stuck inside the hole.

Next thing I tried was to very carefully clean off the 3/32" drill, stick it in the hole flat end first , and use what was left of the brass punch (with the 3/32" end parted off and faced off flat and again very carefully cleaned) to transmit the hammer tapping force to the sharp end of the drill. I tapped about as hard as I felt comfortable with, but I could not perceive any plunger movement.

I'm at a disadvantage because I have not yet seen an IP apart. Based on the drawings in the TM-34, even if the plunger is not stuck it appears to require an arbor press to compress the plunger spring in order to move it. If I am tapping against this amount of spring tension, it seems like it would be very difficult to cause it to move. Am I missing something? As far as I know, I have still not confirmed that the problem is a stuck plunger.

I will definitely run the pumps to purge everything out of the IP after I've given up for the day.

Keith_J

You should be able to detect the plunger moving while slowly turning the engine over with the delivery valve out. Be sure to lube the pump with clean diesel. The stroke is small, less than 3/16".

If the plunger isn't stuck, it will be resting on the camshaft. I cannot imagine deposits would resist what you have done.

For fuel delivery, the control lever must be held up against the solenoid's spring force.

storeman

I don't have an arbor press but have been able to tear down and reassemble pumps by hand. I think the press is to help you avoid chasing c-clips and buttons around. A drill press is handy. Clean the floor and counter tops first to make it easier to find the little critters. Welcome to the board.
Jerry :beer:

NJ_Toolnut

Thanks, Keith.

After lubing the pump with clean fuel, the first order of business today will be to insert the 3/32" drill in the orfice under the delivery valve, measure the distance from the top of the threaded hole for the delivery valve holder to the end protruding end of the drill and see whether this distance changes as I turn the engine over with a ratchet wrench. Since I was expecting a longer stroke, I'm not sure I would have detected a movement of only 3/16" when I checked this yesterday. If I get movement, it will mean my plunger is not stuck.

Regarding fuel delivery, when the master switch is held in the start position the fuel shut off solenoid plunger is pulled up into the body of the solenoid, and this upward movement of the solenoid plunger allows the governor spring to open the control unit to its maximum setting. I plan to purge the IP by holding the master switch in the start position while holding a large coffee can in the correct position to collect the fuel discharge.

Jerry,

Thanks for your welcome. This forum is an amazing resource, with many folks like you who have "been there and done that" with these generators. After reading what you went through to get the fan pulled from the end of the crank on your 002A, I sure hope I never need to pull mine off! I've got a pretty serious 10-ton puller that I obtained for replacing bearings on 3-phase electric motors, but I was surprised that even with a small puller, you were able to pull the original threads out of the holes in the hub of the fan without successfully breaking the fan loose from the crankshaft.

I have a small arbor press as well as a drill press. I think my arbor press is good for 3 tons, but I can't imagine anywhere near that much force would be required to compress the plunger spring. I guess that since you are apparently able to compress this spring assembly either by hand or by using your drill press, I agree that it appears as though the arbor press is recommended as a means to be able to easily hold the plunger and spring assembly in the compressed state while removing/installing the plunger retaining rings.

I've been comparing the IP section in the TM-34 to the AMBAC Service Instructions available from the Wiki, and I've noticed some differences. Once difference is that the special tool described for use with the arbor press is numbered TSE76199B in the AMBAC instructions but numbered TSE76215 in the TM-34. Additionally, per the drawing in the AMBAC instructions, it appears that the tool pictured there has a deeper recess than the one pictured on page 7-33 of TM-34. Do you have this tool, or have you machined something similar to use in your drill press when you work on these IPs? Have you also found it necessary to make the holding fixture described in the AMBAC instructions?

Stan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks