• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First post, looking at a really nice Alaskan M1009 and M1008 help deciding!!

1073CJ5

Found these on craigslist in Alaska. The 1st one is a super clean White military diesel blazer shown here at 1986 Military blazer, runs on used oil, 30 MPG! 49k miles super clean
Anyways, he's reduced it to 3200.00 and I think I can get it for 2900 or 3000. 50K original, no rust. I have additional pics and the engine compartment looks super clean, as does the rest of the truck. used to be camo, as the interior shows and if I get it it will get the factory pain back on. He's including 6 drums of WMO and a filtration system. and 2 spare tires on rims. No dents, rust or anything. I want it to be my daily driver as I hear you can put many miles on them. How does this sound for a clean M1009 w/ 50K miles? Thanks and I'll defenitely make decision will be based on your posts. Also found a M1008 truck that was Army then forestry for 2700 OBO w/ 50K miles too. It's supposed to be clean, a small dent in the rear corner, here it is too 1985 Chevy 3/4 Ton P/U
Last but not least is a M1009 camo blazer for 1000 OBO that needs work, I'm tempted as it looks really clean, here it is 1984 Chevy Blazer

The truck and camo blazer are for sale by the same guy, might be able to get em both for a song. Please help me decide as I really want one.
Anyway to change my username? It's supposed to be 1973CJ5, I just fat fingered it. Thanks Billy Jack

Farmin2010

I'd get the white Blazer. I have an 86 M1009 and just drove it 180 miles on the highway and went between 55 and 70 the entire trip and got 19.5 MPG just have to let it slow down a bit goin up the mountains...and it did great, I love the way it drives...and the top comes off soo easily...

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, WELCOME.

I concur with 1st Sarge. You will just be starting the process quicker than some of us. Like me...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/55456-my-slowly-growing-cucv-collection.htmlhttp://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/55456-my-slowly-growing-cucv-collection.htmlhttp://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/55456-my-slowly-growing-cucv-collection.html

The M1009 gets better mpg given it's 3.08 gear ratio. Never seen one do 30 mpg before. Not saying it can't. Just never seen it. I consider 18 - 19 mpg pretty good. My M1028A2 is geared at 4.56 and gets 15 mpg at 60 mph and 10 mpg at 65 mph. I do not drive the dually above 65 and it likes 60 but will run 65 if I need it too.

Also realize the Blazer has a 27 gallon tank (call it 22 - 25 gal usable) and the M1008 has a 20 gallon tank (call it 18 gallons usable). At least that's what my M1028 has. That doesn't seem like a huge difference, but it is.

The M1008 has the heavier axle with the Dana 60 up front and 10 bolt in the rear (SOMEBODY PLEASE CORRECT THIS IF WRONG) with 4.56 gears. Versus the M1009's Dana 44 up front and the 14 bolt in the rear with 3.08 gears (see above).

As a daily driver, my M1009 is my choice. But I do love driving the pickup truck. And if you can wheel and deal, realize that they all run the 6.2L N/A diesel engine, the TH400 transmission and MOST of them run the NP208 transfer case, though some do run the stronger NP205 (my M1028A2 and I think the M1010 and the M1031).

For WAY LESS than any new 4x4 full sized vehicle made by ANYBODY, you can own, collect, learn and enjoy several variants. The 6.2L J code engine is still available from several GL auctions, just keep an eye out. You can pretty much pick up a full spare drive train if you watch the auctions.

Lots of choices. It does depend on what you want them to do, how much you want to invest in them. I spend my time, but I'm retired and CAN spend my time. I find it an extremely rewarding (sometimes frustrating) hobby. But in the end, it's all about what you need or want.

Again welcome to the green iron disease. My you live a long time with it and enjoy it fully.

2deuce

He might be calculating that 30mpg on the diesel he has to buy, and not the WMO. Just a guess cause 30 is about 33% higher than the norm.

67_C-30

Echoeing others, I'd say the M1009 is the better daily driver. Having both would be nice, but it really depends on what you need. Having 2 is double the upkeep. double the insurance, and double the license plates - BUT - that's never stopped me before!;) I'm insurancing and tagging 5 trucks, a '69 Camaro SS, and my wife's car.

I recently bought a M1009 for my daily driver to keep miles off my new truck, and I love it. I took a trip north of Atlanta Thursday, and I got 22 MPG on the trip. I have never heard as high as 30 MPG with a M1009, but I had an '84 K10 with a 6.2/700R4 that would get very close to 30.

CycleJay

Hello,

I would definately go for the 1986 M1009 blazer for $3200.00..
It is in better shape, and you get extras thrown in (oil, filtration, tires, rims, etc..)
So it's a great bargain of a deal too..

I have a 1985 M1009 blazer, and I very much like it, it is just what I need these days.
I use it as my daily driver, I get great mileage, and if I want a pickup, I can always
just take the top off, and drive around topless (no pun intended).

Get the '86.. Good luck....

If you need help, or have questions, feel free to contact me, I will do what I can...

Good night,

CJ

Cucvnut

Dude the white blazer looks BA, I have never seen one like it. and if you don't need Heavy duty axles and a truck I would get the M1009, don't get me wrong I love my M1008 it just wont work when i have a baby !

Ps welcome to Steel Soldiers

Last edited:

wholden

CUCV's in Anchorage

Welcome!

That white one looks like it might be sweet but a bit pricy for me, that’s why I have not jumped on it. I have watched that ad for a couple of months now.

Now for the bad news. The 1984 is no longer available, a buddy of mine bought it Friday afternoon, picked it up yesterday and I bought it from him before he even got it back to Wasilla. It does not run but will not take much to get it running.

Now for the good news! The 1008 is still available and I think from what my buddy said, might be a good deal. It does run. It’s a prior Forestry service truck.

Some more information: There is another one in Fairbanks. It’s a M1009 and was also a prior Forestry truck (still with the original paint). It looks to be the cleanest of them all. Do a search for "Diesel Blazer" in the Fairbanks section of Craig's List.

Lastly, I will PM you my number, give me a shout and I can give you some more info if you would like! Good luck and be cautioned, it is addicting!

Will

1073CJ5

Sold!!!

Well I couldn't go look at it on Sat because the seller of the white one was on firefighter duty. I left sat to fly out to my cabin property and got back this afternoon and a fella put money down on it.:sad: Second the camo blazer is sold to Wholden, who I talked to and got some really good info on these trucks, glad he got a heck of a deal, didn't want that one anyways. Third I'm trying to get ahold of the seller of the truck and look at it possible tomorrow. If not then I'll hold off. Bad thing is that I didn't even get to get that much work done to the property after I screwed up my chainsaw blade.

Catron

Well I couldn't go look at it on Sat because the seller of the white one was on firefighter duty. I left sat to fly out to my cabin property and got back this afternoon and a fella put money down on it.:sad: Second the camo blazer is sold to Wholden, who I talked to and got some really good info on these trucks, glad he got a heck of a deal, didn't want that one anyways. Third I'm trying to get ahold of the seller of the truck and look at it possible tomorrow. If not then I'll hold off. Bad thing is that I didn't even get to get that much work done to the property after I screwed up my chainsaw blade.

I don' know much about MV's but I know a thang or 2 aboot saws......"chainsaw bar" is the word you were looking for :p :grin:

Bummer on the white one, that was a slick pickle....good luck on number 3!

rnd-motorsports

I don' know much about MV's but I know a thang or 2 aboot saws......"chainsaw bar" is the word you were looking for :p :grin:

Bummer on the white one, that was a slick pickle....good luck on number 3!

or maybe the chainsaw chain! who cares we got the pic. his weekend was not porductive as he would have liked!

First off, WELCOME.

The M1009 gets better mpg given it's 3.08 gear ratio. Never seen one do 30 mpg before. Not saying it can't. Just never seen it. I consider 18 - 19 mpg pretty good. My M1028A2 is geared at 4.56 and gets 15 mpg at 60 mph and 10 mpg at 65 mph. I do not drive the dually above 65 and it likes 60 but will run 65 if I need it too.

Also realize the Blazer has a 27 gallon tank (call it 22 - 25 gal usable) and the M1008 has a 20 gallon tank (call it 18 gallons usable). At least that's what my M1028 has. That doesn't seem like a huge difference, but it is.

The M1008 has the heavier axle with the Dana 60 up front and 10 bolt in the rear (SOMEBODY PLEASE CORRECT THIS IF WRONG) with 4.56 gears. Versus the M1009's Dana 44 up front and the 14 bolt in the rear with 3.08 gears (see above).
The M1009s have 10-bolt corporate axles front and rear with 4.10:1 ratios. The rear has the infamous gov-loc in it. The M1008s have a corporate 14-bolt in the rear with the 13.5" drums (vs. 11" light duty), and a detroit locker in it. The front axle is a Dana 60, and if the 3rd and 4th letters of the VIN are HD, the front has a tru-trac posi-trac unit in it made by Detroit Locker. The ratio of M1008s are 4.56:1. GM went to corporate-made axles in mid 1977, so late model 1977 trucks have corporate axles, while early 1977 and older have Dana-Spicer made axles.

tlucca

Banned
The 1009 is great for keeping stuff out of the elements, assuming you don't have a lot of stuff. The 1008 is better for moving more stuff, assuming you have a cap for it.
But I agree with 86blazerk5, both would be nice, in case on breaks down.
My 1009 is great. more than likely you'll need stuff for it. I dropped about $2500 on mine for PA inspection, which wasn't too bad. Tires, ball joints and alignment were the major items. Then there were some gotta haves I put on it. After that and a tune up, it runs like a raped ape!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1009s have 10-bolt corporate axles front and rear with 4.10:1 ratios. The rear has the infamous gov-loc in it. The M1008s have a corporate 14-bolt in the rear with the 13.5" drums (vs. 11" light duty), and a detroit locker in it. The front axle is a Dana 60, and if the 3rd and 4th letters of the VIN are HD, the front has a tru-trac posi-trac unit in it made by Detroit Locker. The ratio of M1008s are 4.56:1. GM went to corporate-made axles in mid 1977, so late model 1977 trucks have corporate axles, while early 1977 and older have Dana-Spicer made axles.

Uh, did you mean 3.08:1 gears? I've not run across a 4.10:1 ratio yet.

From the Vehicle Specifications page on the M1009:

Front Open, Rear Gov-Loc 3.08 Gear ratio

Steel Soldiers :: Military Vehicles Supersite

wholden

Let me know

Billy, Let us know how the M1008 goes. I think you can get a smoking deal. See if he will throw in that civy one also, might be able to help move that if you wanted to get rid of it, Ill check. Im down here now in LA for the week but do have commo and will be back this weekend.

Will

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks