• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First post, picked up a m101a3

patrickg

Hello-

Just wanted to say hi. I recently picked up 2 m101a3's from GL out of Bartsow. I first became interested in these trailers after seeing a post about one on a different site. After that I decided I needed one to tow behind my suburban. Its a 91' lifted on 39" bfg projects. I first bid on one last year out at nellis (had tarp & bow) and quickly went out of my price range. I continued to watch and bid with no luck. Then I saw when Barstow dumped 100's and figured now was my chance. I got outbid a couple of times and even considered bidding on some damaged ones. But I held out and found one. On the last day of the auction I noticed a broken one with the rails, so I also bid on that one. Considering what I have seen them go for, I stole both. I paid $191 for the first and $201 for the second. I plan on using mine around the house and I offered the second one to my cousin to use for his dirt bikes and quads. I sent my EUC on the 10th of this month and it went to battle creek on the 16th. I can't wait to pick it up. Here is a picture of my suburban, I will post pics of the trailers when I can figured out how to download them from GL.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard, you will love that trailer. Neat burb as well. I've seen plenty of folks put the 80s nose on the 70s trucks but not the other way around. Heres a peek at my 91 and I think there is an M101A3 there too.
unv 223 (Medium).jpg

Attachments

I will soon need to tow a M101A2 Trailer with my Silverado, what is the best way to setup a temporary electrical connection?

The trailer will be used with my soon to be aquired M1031 so I don't want to make a permanent change to the trailer connection.

First post for me, I have searched the site but have not found my answer, probably my search parameters.

patrickg

Welcome aboard, you will love that trailer. Neat burb as well. I've seen plenty of folks put the 80s nose on the 70s trucks but not the other way around. Heres a peek at my 91 and I think there is an M101A3 there too.
Thanks. I just swapped in a 14bolt out of an m1008 so now its 4wd again. I put the old front on it to be different (sometime I wish I left it alone).

well I cant figure out how to post a pic of my trailers, so I will try a link
Mine
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=5927635#
and the one for my cousin
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=5927507

harleyhouse

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring duct tape with you. As practical as the China Freight lights are, the magnets leave much to be desired. Tape them as well. Also, since these are the first of these trailers you will have, be advised that as issued, the tailgate will not lay flat. If you need that you will chains and hasps.

patrickg

Thanks for the complements. Im going to leave the trailer as is. I picked the one because of the tires (has baja ta tires). I may down the road get tires and wheels to match (can get the 39's for cheap). How high should the tongue sit on the trailer. Also since im getting two im going to pick both up with another trailer. Then once i get home I can make it road worthy.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It looks to me like the driver's side frame rail that makes the "A" to the lunette might be damaged, I might have some rails available if you need one.

patrickg

On which one? I cant tell from the pictures. Hopefully they aren't but if they are I have two trailers to make one (I was going to give the other to my cousin minus the tires to offset the cost). I cant wait to get them and see what I have.

patrickg

Ok thanks. I will keep you in mind. I was going to drop the one off at my cousins on the way home, but I guess I will bring them both home an access them and go from there.

patrickg

Ok I just got home and measured the hitch on my surburban. What is the height that the tongue should be on the m101a3. My hitch is about 23" to the center of the tube.