• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First purchase of an MV, M931A2, questions to ask, things to check/ first inspection.

lastws6

Great page, It's been so helpful in my search for a truck, and deciding what I actually want. Thank you all.
That being said..About 100 miles from me is a Bobbed M931A2 that I'm interested in.. I am a motorhead,with as load of car/bike/truck history, but I have no experience purchasing one of these. It looks like I'll be headed down to inspect it next week and could use some advice on what to look for, ask the PO, and so on... Or if anyone is in the NYC area and wants to come with me? :) That could be cool.
Here is how the ad reads:

1991 BMY Division of Harsco M931A2 Cargo Truck, 5-ton, 4x4,Truck was professionally bobbed before we purchased it, This truck was purchased for a hay ride for a special event that we produced it was used one weekend over the summer. I do not know much about this type of vehicle but it is really big and fires wright up i drove it about two hundred miles when we purchased it ran perfect down the highway it is currently registered and titled in New York, This is what I know about the truck from the internet.

. Powered by a Cummins 6CTA8.3 6-cylinder turbo supercharged Diesel engine driving through an Allison automatic transmission and two-speed transfer case. Vehicle equipped with Central Tire Inflation System. Vehicle equipped with soft top cab enclosure and power steering. The odometer reads 25k miles. Equipped with 1400 R 20 tires with good tread height. make an offer!!! We paid $13500 but accepting offers

Features:

8.3L Cummins 6CTA Super Turbo Diesel Engine

solar battery charger

4x4 Drive

Power Steering

Air Brakes

5 Speed Allison Automatic Transmission

2 Speed Transfer Case with High and Low Range

10ft trailer bed

- Side Rails - Metal -

Canvas bed cover we never used it with support bows

Pintle hitch

Trailer air brake couplers, front and rear

Excellent tread on tires. Holding air.

All Lights Functional and Good

Air comes up to correct PSI, 120psi range

Things that I know don't work temp gauge and fuel gauge jumps.

And a photo:5ton 1.jpg

So what do you all think?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does not look too bad but rember inless it has lockers it's not realy a 4x4. These trucks are still heavy even when bobed so just a thought don't think you are going to be a mud king.

lastws6

It will see some off road/trail use, but unsticking one of these is not fun.. Deep mud and water fording will not be on it's "to do" list. :)

Jason O

If you would like to get a little experience with these trucks, I have a few and you're welcome to stop by and check them out. I have nothing to sell, so there's no pressure. Then when it's time to buy, you have a better idea of what you're getting into, and what to look out for.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Really get under it and check how it was bobbed, mainly how the rear end was put back on. I friend on here got one that was a "pro" job that had used a M105 frame rails and springs which looked ok till the way those frame sections were attached to the truck frame, four 3/8" grade 5 bolts on each side and didn't have a full thread showing out of the nut! I didn't see it till my friend had already bought it and drove it home.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You DO NOT want to buy a truck from someone who knows NOTHING about the truck,
There is a MAJOR reason why the truck has not sold.
NO spare, or at least not shown, if the owner wants to sell the truck, show the spare,
Just from reading the ad, I would stay away
Why are the RED fuel cans
Why no tarp
Why no mud flaps
Why no bumperetts,
Left front tire low
The above questions are brought to mind just from looking at the one picture, I am sure the list would at least double if there are more pictures to look at.

Just saw the asking price, $13.500, you have to be kidding me, no wonder it did not sell, you get a truck, I will bob it for less then that total.
For the $13.500, there should be a COMPLEAT truck, tarp, ect.. If I were going to buy a $13.000 ANYTHING I would expect the owner to know a LOT more then this owner.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something is going on with the left rear wheel or rearend looking at the pictures from the listing Doghead posted.

Picture #3 is a rear view. The left rear tire is leaning and the tread wear shows that.
Picture #4 is a view from front left. Tire is leaning in this picture too.

It can't be camera lens distortion because those are two totally different shots at different distances. If it was lens distortion, the tire should appear to lean the other way since the tire is in the bottom of both pictures.

lastws6

Jason, I was Infantry for 10 years and have lots of experience riding in them. :) Driving.. Well, was given (really, just handed without a test) a license back in 2000 because they needed someoone to drive/TC one loaded with weapons from Tobyhanna Army Depot in north PA to Fort Eustis in southern Va. That was a LOOOOONG drive, but like much else of my Army days, doesn't seem so bad now. And thank you for the offer. I may very well take you up on it.

lastws6

73m819, Thank you, is good advice. That is the thing... I wont see all the things I'd see if I was buying a 65 caddy, or a c-10, or a bike. As far as price goes, He "SOLD" it on ebay back in Nov for $8600, and he has Ads up asking 9k. I was thinking for that coin (or a bit less) it would seem about right price wise..

lastws6

Swamp Donkey, I didn't notice that until you said something.. here are the shots I have from the seller.5ton 1.jpg5ton2.jpg5ton3.jpg5ton4.jpg5ton5.jpg5ton6.jpg

The bitch of it is, this is the truck I want. It got the bed I want, the space behind the cab to do an "extended cab", the equipment I want, and a price (if I can get it at $9k or less) that I want. Crap. I hate having no real mechanical experience to trouble shoot the real issues with this.

Tornadogt

It doesn't look that bad over all.. I agree on the tires, I would change them out sooner than later if I bought it.. Rear springs look correct to be 5-ton fronts originally. It started life off at a M931a2 tractor that is why it has twin fuel tanks and no bumperetts. Frame appears to be stock length without any cutting on it. If it is what you want and everything is in good working order and you get it under 9K. My opinion is its a good deal for someone who doesn't have the time or ambition to tackle the job themselves. That is not an insult bobing a truck is not as easy as some might make it sound and without the proper tools or lifting equipment it could be a real bear of a job and dangerous (please don't use Center-blocks as jack stands)

Just my opinion

Edit:
I could be wrong on the rear springs they don't appear to be 105 trailer springs, you should ask for more detail photos of the rear suspension and post them.

Last edited:

lastws6

That is not an insult bobing a truck is not as easy as some might make it sound and without the proper tools or lifting equipment it could be a real bear of a job and dangerous

I'm not insulted.. not at all. Thanks for your input.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I am sorry, but I would STILL pass on this truck, It is the DETAILS that make a truck a NICE looking truck,
No bumperetts.
No fenders,
Where the lights are placed
What looks like the 105 frame from the rear (the frame is not needed to clearance the tires, 1600s will clear just fine), this was just a quick way to mount the bed.
The space behind the cab is for the spare, you do NOT want to throw it in the bed. first you will NOT throw it anywhere and it will take up a lot of space.
Tires can be replaced, just more $
Tarps can be added, again just $
This bob build looks like it was done quick, like the bed/frame was just dropped on the truck frame, then finished up, the build should look like is was factory NOT a build, if the builder skimped on the easy to see details, what else did he skimp on.

One more thing, it is your money, do what you want, you asked for opinions on the truck, you got opinions.

Last edited:

lastws6

Thanks everyone. It looks like I am going to pass on her. The questionable work quality, no history, a previous owner not in the know, and the fact that previous buyers passed on it have added up to quench my desire for this one. All of your advice was very helpful.

Andrmorr

Thanks everyone. It looks like I am going to pass on her. The questionable work quality, no history, a previous owner not in the know, and the fact that previous buyers passed on it have added up to quench my desire for this one. All of your advice was very helpful.
That's probably smart especially since Tractors are going for decently small money right now, even one's that have been rebuilt and/or armor tops (frankentrucks)...then spend the left over money to get it bobbed/cab extended the right way. I vote you give 73M819 (Ron) a call...He's right there at Atlanta where a lot of nice tractors are being released...he can tow it home, bob it out the right way and then he will deliver it you in PA all for less money than this truck would have cost you...(dependent on the sale price of the tractor of course)...call him, I think you'll be happy you did...

Andrmorr

You DO NOT want to buy a truck from someone who knows NOTHING about the truck,
There is a MAJOR reason why the truck has not sold.
NO spare, or at least not shown, if the owner wants to sell the truck, show the spare,
Just from reading the ad, I would stay away
Why are the RED fuel cans
Why no tarp
Why no mud flaps
Why no bumperetts,
Left front tire low
The above questions are brought to mind just from looking at the one picture, I am sure the list would at least double if there are more pictures to look at.

Just saw the asking price, $13.500, you have to be kidding me, no wonder it did not sell, you get a truck, I will bob it for less then that total.
For the $13.500, there should be a COMPLEAT truck, tarp, ect.. If I were going to buy a $13.000 ANYTHING I would expect the owner to know a LOT more then this owner.
Ron,
These pearls of wisdom are 100% true for a private seller but it becomes pretty dang funny if you think of Government Liquidations as the seller!
We buy our trucks from them with every issue you just listed... Lol!
Looking back on it, it was scary stuff but fun as Heck!