• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First purchase of an MV, M931A2, questions to ask, things to check/ first inspection.

SeanEboy

So, I live fairly close to this truck... I'm thinking of having a look. You think that the number is $9k as it stands? I'd be buying it for a toy, and maybe seeing if that gimbal hitch on the back can tow a boat trailer a few miles...? What about the 'true 4x4' scenario? If it started its life as a tractor...? Any chance this will handle the pea soup beaches we have out here on LI? Also, what are we looking at in terms of tire replacement? I really appreciate any insight.. This could very well be my truck if everything adds up in terms of value for dollar wise. I have a friend who owns a fleet of concrete trucks, restores their older ones for fun, he's really knowledgeable in general, definitely not with these.. And, I do have his cousin who is local to me out here that I might be able to also pull into the mix. Perhaps the opinion of them two together, mixed with your insights on value... I could be a well enough informed buyer at the right number. Thanks in advance! I would LOVE to join up!!!!!! And, I would absolutely love to see the look on my fathers face when I pull into his driveway....

Andrmorr

Any chance this will handle the pea soup beaches we have out here on LI?
I used to drive these on the beaches at Eglin AFB FL and these are not good at all in pea soup situations at least with normal size tires...maybe if you mounted some 44x41/20s like Military Bogger it would be way different...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?135446-flotation-tire-s&highlight=dual
...remember, even in bobbed form, it weighs 18-20k, so if/when it gets stuck, you will need something as big or bigger to get it out which can be $$$ on a lonely beach and hopefully the tide is not coming in...Look on Youtube at some of the stuck 5 ton videos...

Last edited:

SeanEboy

I used to drive these on the beaches at Eglin AFB FL and these are not good at all in pea soup situations at least with normal size tires...maybe if you mounted some 44x41/20s like Military Bogger it would be way different... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?135446-flotation-tire-s&highlight=dual ...remember, even in bobbed form, it weighs 18-20k, so if/when it gets stuck, you will need something as big or bigger to get it out which can be $$$ on a lonely beach and hopefully the tide is not coming in...Look on Youtube at some of the stuck 5 ton videos...
Haha! Thanks for the first hand account! Doesn't get much better than that.. Perhaps waiting for a true bobbed deuce, or maybe bobbing my own is the way to go...? I have been popping my head in and out of the auction sites, but don't think I really have the support I need to walk into one of those, fix the truck up to road worthiness, paperwork, and go... Although, I have read some really amazing posts on here about guys helping each other out on this forum, and it is really remarkable. Truly a community I want to be a part of, and maybe even give back to one day, if/when I have the knowledge and ability.

I'm now wondering.. Is there another reasonably priced beast I can purchase, with the following intentions:
Beach use - nothing crazy, just driving down there to fish/chill, potential beach recovery vehicle?
Jetski - I really want to rig up some sort of way to take my skis with me (smaller/stand ups/can be lifted into bed no problem)
Pull dads boat - I think the boat is between 12,000-15,000 lbs... twice a year, in, and out of the water, and a 15 mile drive.
Snow removal - ideally throw a plow on there

Maybe I shouldn't have the blinders on for my dreams of a deuce, and look at something smaller?

Last edited:

SeanEboy

EDIT!!!! Apparently the boat only weighs 7850lb, + 1100lbs for motors, say 800lbs misc, we're at 9750lbs. So, perhaps I don't need a behemoth after all...

There is a deuce and a half available locally that rear ended someone.. Runs, and drives, needs a radiator, fender, windshield, $3k.. I might pounce if it's clean enough... I already have a repair shop lined up for things I'm incapable of, they're old school, and just awesome...