• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First start-up in a while... Compressor noise

IronDeuce

Started the truck today for the first time in a few months. The compressor is making a bit of a racket. Sounds like belt squeel, but put some dressing on and didnt do anything for it.

Little strange to appear from no where. Saw a few posts on tightening it, but wanted to see what else there was.

Only makes noise when its engaged. Any tips?

Thanks!

Jimma

Probably the belt is loose. Test it by turning off the power / accessory switch by the stop engine pull. If the sound goes away its a loose belt. If that's the case you need to push the generator/alternator farther towards the passenger side and tighten all the bolts. It's easier with two people. I had someone push gently and carefully with a 2x4 and I tightened the bolts. This fixed it. They can work loose sometimes and often don't get pushed back all the way if loosened to change the primary fuel filter.

IronDeuce

Thanks for the help Jimma. Doesnt the Air Compressor run independent? Just trying to make sure that I'm not creating another issue..

Thanks!

Jimma

Sorry, I confused it. Most of the time I have found the belt that squeals or screams is the generator belt. That's the one I gave directions for.

phil2968

Lossen the bolts that are on the compressor pully and then screw the front half of the pully towards the rear half. Once the belt is tight, tightend down the clamp bolts.
This is on my list to do tomorrow with a new belt.