• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First time bobbed M35a2 thread.

Gleeser

Alright so I have finally secured heated shop space to bob my truck. (m35a2) I have my wheels and tires set to go on and I have all the equipment and skills necessary to complete the job.

What I don't have are parts. I have a couple options I guess. First a friend offered me a set of rear school bus springs with the brackets still attached for frame mounting. Buried in snow so I don't have the measurements at the moment.

Second, there is a big rig salvage yard right down the road that I can likely get most any parts needed suspension wise. This is where my question lies I guess. Are there specific parts that are commonly used from non-military trucks when bobbing a deuce? I know that people use front deuce springs but I don't have access to any of those within reason really. The only thing I've seen is a "kit" to do it which is around $600 plus freight. Rather not spend that much if it's avoidable.

I'd like to secure all the large parts I need before I take the truck to my friend's shop so that I can minimize the amount of time it's in there beings he's just letting me use it free of charge. I could really use some help on this if you're willing. I'm aces as far as the work goes but I'm really green as far as the stuff I should use to build it.

Marlboro

I don't have a direct anwser to your question... But if you lived closer i'd offer you a "bobber kit" If you have the space here's what i would do... I was able to find a junk deuce in a farms field local to me i paid $400.00 dollars for and tow barred it home. I had intentions of getting it running driving for farm use but found it needed to much, so i parted it out. I made triple what i paid for it and still have the front suspension set-up that i will sell as a bobber kit someday when a torch it off. So in all not a bad deal if you could go that route, Just take what you need and sell the rest. Anyway Best Of Luck.

spicergear

I have 5 or 6 sets of springs with hangers that were originally M35A2 front springs. Its about the easiest way to bob a truck. Once tandems are stripped off frame, figure out where you want the rear axle, find that center in springs, clamp them on, mark holes, and spend next 2 hours drilling mounting holes. I don't have the U-bolts but springs with hangers attached and a couple of the bump stop plates.

PM me if your interested. I also can arrange shipping and you'll be WAY under $600.

Gleeser

Wow... that was a bunch of rivets! Anyway, what do you think about this wheelbase? It's 136" and I'm scratch building a bed instead of using a trailer bed.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks real good like that but aren't you running 395s? I'd do the mock up with the tires your running.

Gleeser

Yeah I am. Just piddling with it till I bolt those up. Might be able to get that done tomorrow. Still trying to find some middle and lower front spring plates for it too. That's not proving to be easy. Suppose I will end up making those.

Gleeser

Drove it yesterday for the first time!! Little squirely on the highway but not too bad really. Brakes work really good and everything held together. After a short drive around some roads to kinda shake it down, me and my buddy promptly buried it in a creek bank. :D

Attachments

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck is looking good. Lets hear about the bed. What have you got planned. I bought two 105 trailers to use their beds if I bob one. Looks like your having some fun with it. Ron

Gleeser

Bed is gonna be a scratch built utility style bed, headache rack and whatnot. It'll be somethin kinda beefy looking. I'm still drawing it up though.

jimh1985

I did my bob job with a welder, various sized wrenches, an angle grinder, an axe head, drill bit, and a farm jack. Dont ask how i got the bed off or the new bed on or that **** suspension out from under it... it was one weekend of ****!! They tell me it can be done and I say JUST WATCH AND BE HORRIFIED!! :grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks