• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First time buyer questions

Ten4x4

Im new to this and have done a bit of research. Looking to buy a m35a2 in texas but moving to New York soon. Any insight on registration in NY and CDL requirements would be much appreciated. Also, im having a real hard time finding any deuces in TX let alone a reasonably priced one. If you have one for sale or know of someone selling them shoot me a message. Thanks guys.

-Bud

3dAngus

Wait and buy one in NY. The heck with driving one up from Texas. Get a Ryder truck instead if using it for moving. You'll be about ten times more comfortable.

bonshawman

Ditto above - also make sure that on whatever property you plan to park the Deuce you are allowed to by any zoning restrictions, neighborhood or HOA, etc.

Good luck - welcome and I am sure if you search you can find the other info you are looking for on SS.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driving long-distance in a deuce clearly depends on the truck, your patience and your rear end. If you plan to drive the truck year-round and on road salt infested roads, you may not care about rust-free. If you do and if you plan on storing it during the white season, consider getting one from the South (from a road salt free state).

If you search in the forum, you will find debates about moving with a deuce; the issue with your belongings on a non-secured flatbed etc. etc. etc.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the OD Green Madness.

There are many members from NY that can give you tips for registering your truck in NY.

DeucesWild11

Buying in NY you may only have a transferrable registration. That's what I have. You don't need a CDL to drive it. Motor Vehicle Dept will register it as Commercial unless you have Historical Insurance where the registration will be much cheaper, but that depends on what you plan on doing with it.

As stated above check with your local zoning before buying, Mine had size (length) and weight restrictions. That's why I bought a bobbed deuce. Hope that helps you out.

Where in NY you moving to? Some areas are easier than others..

Ten4x4

You guys are awesome! Moving to upstate NY so I doubt I'll have zoning restriction problems but I am having a **** of a time finding a good rig to buy in texas. Thanks for all the info and give me a shout if ya'll here of anything good for sale in TX

Ten4x4

Sorry, whats OKC? Also should I try to buy a bobbed duece or bob it myself. Im pretty handy but have no experience with big trucks just smaller vehicles ie my wrangler.

LanceRobson

In New York you can use a historic registration for any vehicle 25 model tears old or older that sees NO commercial use and which has no commercial signage (other than period historic in some cases). Hauling your own private property is not commercial use so hauling your junk..err, classic military stuff with no hassles.

A New York historic registration will set you back about $28 with no upper weight limit. I have an M35A2C that has $300K liability and $6K comprehensive insurance through JC Taylor for a whopping $78/yr. My insurance carrier requires that drivers be 25 years or older. Inspection will cost $40/yr.

New York may have the least restrictive historic vehicle rules in the country. No mileage limits, no weight limits, no restricted use (other than commercial use), the same registration cost for a jeep as for a road tractor etc. About the only rule is that you "should" have another vehicle registered and that the historic one should not be your sole daily driver for year round use.

As already reported you will not need a CDL.

It's a big state, where are you moving to and when?

What condition and price range are you looking in? Are there any non-negotiable things such as paint condition, transfer case type, hard top, winch etc?

Your idea of "reasonably priced" and someone else's may be quite different. The type and condition of the truck is going to determine what is a reasonable cost is in any given market and not what you want to buy it for.

I have trucks for sale as do others here in New York. If you tell us where you are moving to I'm sure someone within an hour or two driving time has a truck or trucks for sale.

Good luck with the move and the hunt. Speaking of hunting, if you need info on hunting, fishing or trapping here let me know.

Lance

Ten4x4

Wait, so you mean to tell me New York is the least restrictive state on something? I dont buy it!! Haha. Thats awesome though. I dont know enough about them to know exactly what i want, but i do know I want something that runs, has a hard top, a multifuel engine and is not so rusted out that i have to cut away and weld new pieces. Could I get a decent one for say $5k? Might just wait til I get up north before buying if there decent pickins up there.... The idea of driving one 3000 miles sound painful.

Tlauden

You could get a very nice deuce for around $5K. May I suggest planning your route and stopping at I believe it's kublos surplus on the PA/NY border. According to his site he has lots of trucks, from what I heard he's very reputable, though I've never personally dealt with him. Buying a deuce at the PA/NY border is alot less of a drive than Texas. Also there is Eastern Surplus up this way, I believe they are around philly area. They might be worth calling. There are plenty of deals to be had up north here. Just keep looking!!!

http://www.kublossurplus.com/

LanceRobson

If you come east on I-90 you'll pass 8 miles from me and if you come north on I-81 you'll pass 25 miles west of me. I-90 also brings you just a few miles from John Tennis (jatonka on SS) who usually has trucks for sale. Also, depending on your exact route you will be quite close to doghead who may have some prospects for you.

$5K spent wisely and patiently should get you a good truck. Unless you have the tools and mechanical ability to deal with potential major problems (or have a good MV mentor) you are most likely to be better off buying your first truck from a business or private owner than from a Government Liquidation auction. You will pay more up front than if you bought at auction but you'll be able to test drive it and get to know it before buying. The original buyer has taken a big risk and will expect to get paid for it but you will be buying a known item and not spending good money on something that may be uneconomically repairable.

From my experience a winch ads $1,000 to as much as $1,500 to a base truck and a hard top ads $500 to $800 to the price, more if the hard top is new. To put the hard top up charge in some perspective a new camo vinyl coated fabric cab cover will set you back a dead minimum of $250 and depending on the weather and whether the truck is stored indoors the top may only last a few years. Plattsburg gets a lot of snow. You are on the right track in wanting a hard top.

I have a couple deuces and a n M813A1 w/winch for sale so again, to help with perspective, I have a nice M35A2C (C=drop side bed) with a fully serviced winch and a hard top for sale. It has a few minor reliability upgrades, new clutch, dual spring base seats (M1009 bucket seat on the driver side), back up lights, pretty good rubber, fairly recent camo CARC paint and only 10K miles on a depot overhaul where it got a new engine, transmission and three new axles. It is for sale at $6,500. A lot of folks might think that's high, though.

However, up until about 7-8 years ago you generally had to buy two to three rough trucks from Government Liquidation that had probably been picked over for parts and then piece together a good truck from them. You usually had $8-9K in it.

Then there was a flood of M44 series trucks pushed out of the military inventory and these trucks were in a lot better shape than what had come before since they had gotten a lot better maintenance and parts funding due to the war. Most of the folks now in the hobby are fairly new and many think that the low prices from those few years are/were the norm. They weren't. Most folks who have been around MVs for 10 or more years will tell you that in many ways the last several years are very much the exception to the rule.

Another example is the CUCV family. Four years ago you could buy a running M1009 for around $1K if you were patient and a running M1008 for around $1,500. I bought a pile of them at thiose prices. But 10 years ago one would have cost 2-3 times that and now that only a few are auctioned off each week I'm seeing very rough M1009s go for nearly $3K.

Since so few M44 family trucks (which includes the M35A2) are being auctioned off prices are on the way back up. One thing is for sure though. They are still in service in the military services of a lot of other countries so parts will be readily available for many years.

If you are not sure what you want then you could do a lot worse than to go to a couple of rallys or major MV swap meets. You'll see a bigger variety of trucks and be able to ask questions of a lot more folks than you ever will any other way.

About what date are you moving?

I hope all this rambling helps.

Lance

Ten4x4

Great info! Not sure on a move date, hopefully by the end of the year. If i want it bobbed should I buy it that way or do it myself? How much of a PITA is it to do?

RodUSMC1962

Unless you have a well equiped shop and a very good mechanical background keep away from such major attemps, you don`t know what grief is. If your set on a duece buy one in really good shape and learn as you go.:beer: