• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First time buyer...

LORDDiESEL

Hi guys. Found this 87 on craigslist but the dealer really can't tell me much about it. He's asking 4900 for it. I think it's a bit high. I've been looking online and can't seem to find one with the box it has on it. Did someone just slap up the box?

What do you guys think it's worth?

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome, posting links to craigslist is against the rules you can copy the photo and put the picture up with your question.

Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.
• Do not post links to auction photos. GL/GSA links quit working after a short period of time so save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.
• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about you vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad.
• No collusion as specified above.

K9Vic

read the rules diesel. That's not an 87. The original CUCV's were made between 1984-1986.

If it were my post, I would edit it, and delete the craigslist posting before a moderator deletes your entire post.
You are 100% WRONG on no 1987s

The CUCV was model year 1984, 1985, 1986 and 1987. Look at my Sig for multiple owned 1987 CUCVs. The manufacture of them was fall of 1983 to fall of 1986, that is not model year.

LORDDiESEL

looks like a nice truck...

is that a canadian vehicle...with a military body..?
I believe it is. I'm looking for a tough bush/work truck. I'm pretty sure it will handle the job.

The only thing i will do is re-gear it as i drive only the highways most of the time.

K9Vic

Yes is is a 1987 CUCV D30 Military truck and not some clone. The dealer was easy to find by the name when the link was posted to the CL ad. Since the OP posted the CL ad (Edited it out due to sit rules), you can do a simple Google search on the VIN to find it. The Canadian dollar is almost equal to the US Dollar at this time, only by a few pennies.

1GCG"D34"J9"H"F400266

D3x (D30) = Military/Postal vehicle
H = 1987

LORDDiESEL

Yes is is a 1987 CUCV D30 Military truck and not some clone. The dealer was easy to find by the name when the link was posted to the CL ad. Since the OP posted the CL ad (Edited it out due to sit rules), you can do a simple Google search on the VIN to find it. The Canadian dollar is almost equal to the US Dollar at this time, only by a few pennies.

1GCG"D34"J9"H"F400266

D3x (D30) = Military/Postal vehicle
H = 1987

Going to go check it out in the next day or so. Looks like a tough SOB. It's going to save my superduty king ranch from the nasty off road abuse. :twisted:

LORDDiESEL

So i ran the vin. Says it's a 1 ton. i thought these were 1 1/4 ton?

VINXXXXXDECODED1987 Chevrolet Military TruckModel Year1987MakeChevroletModelMilitary TruckSeries1 tonBody Type2 Door Cab; RegularManufacturerGeneral Motors CorporationProduction Seq. Number400266Engine TypeV8, 6.2LFuel TypeDieselEngine CodeJDrive Line Type4WDVehicle TypePickup TruckVehicle ClassMilitaryBrake SystemHydraulicCountryUNITED STATESAssy. PlantFlint, MIGVWR ClassClass G: 8,001-9,000 lbTonnage1Check Digit9

Last edited:

K9Vic

So i ran the vin. Says it's a 1 ton. i thought these were 1 1/4 ton?

VINXXXXXDECODED1987 Chevrolet Military TruckModel Year1987MakeChevroletModelMilitary TruckSeries1 tonBody Type2 Door Cab; RegularManufacturerGeneral Motors CorporationProduction Seq. Number400266Engine TypeV8, 6.2LFuel TypeDieselEngine CodeJDrive Line Type4WDVehicle TypePickup TruckVehicle ClassMilitaryBrake SystemHydraulicCountryUNITED STATESAssy. PlantFlint, MIGVWR ClassClass G: 8,001-9,000 lbTonnage1Check Digit9
They are 5/4 ton trucks, the "3" after the "D" is for 1 ton per standard Chevrolet/GMC VIN decoding, but they are 1-1/4 ton trucks. There was no special designation for 1-1/4, like say a "4". If they ask you when you get plates and your title, make sure you say it is a 1 ton truck.

LORDDiESEL

So i bought it. Picking it up saturday. 80,000 miles and it's bloody showroom clean!

knocked him down to 3800 bucks from 4900.

I don't think i can go wrong at that price.

will post pics soon

K9Vic

Sweet that is a really good price for what you are getting with the camper box and only about $100 more if US dollars. I would have paid that much for it, that would make a great expedition vehicle.

TGP (IL)

I believe he is correct with calling it a D 30.
The military did not recognize the K 30 model designation.
No were in the Vin will it say "K" 3
It will show
"D"3
Us civilians know them as "K" models
When I got my IL title back for my most recent purchase of a 1028A2
No were did I indicate it was military.
But when the title arrived under" Model " it said "Military truck"?

Nice 1031 BTW!

Tom

rnd-motorsports

to break the Vin down 1GCGD34J9HF400266

first three in the Vin is Chevy truck,4th means 8001 to 9000 /hyd brakes , the 5th is chassis type and for some reason gm used D for 4x4 for that year only on all 4x4 trucks , the 6th is 3 means 1 ton the 5/4 ton or 1 1/4 ton is the military only designation still a one ton truck the 7th is body type in this case two door cab 8th is engine J or 8-379 ( 6.2) diesel 9 th is a check digit that hard to explain the 10 th is model year and H is 1987 the 11 digit is the Assembly plant F being flint the rest are sequence numbers order in witch it was on the Assembly line . :driver:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks