• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First time M1008 buyer.

handloader90

Hello,

I'm new here, I already signed in in the newbie section.

I'm in the market for a M1008. I'm very familiar with the gas version, but not the diesel and 24v system.

Edit: I'm also game for a M1028A1, just found out about it. I think I'd actually prefer the M1028A1 if I can find one.

I'm looking for suggestions on who/ where to buy from. I want a good running, rust free and mostly straight bodied M1008. My current rig has the cancer and I don't want to go through it again with another rig.

Who can you guys recommend to me for a good M1008? Also, what should I be on the lookout for engine wise? As mentioned before I'm pretty familiar with the civilian version of this truck and know what to look for in all areas except the diesel engine.

I've been checking GL, CL and Ebay and I'm not coming up with much.

Once I locate one that is in good condition and buy it it's going into surgery... DIY4X A-Bomb, Alcan springs all around, crossover steering, maybe high steer too depending on how high I lift it, 6"-8" lift done up with a DIY4X shackle flip, 37" Tires, might go with some of the recentered H1's from Trail Worthy Fab or just keep it simple and get some plain 'ol steelies. I want to swap the 208 out and throw a 205 with an ORD Twin Stick in there and maybe clock it a little bit to get some good angles going if needed. Eventually a small block will go in too.

What will be the best gear ratio for 37's with this setup, it will be daily driven mostly and used to kill Prius' and bogs on the weekend. I really don't plan on driving it on the highway (unless I have too), just to and from work and regular around town stuff.

Off-road wise the truck will be used mostly for bogging I guess, unless they have some rock crawling areas in the Fort Campbell, KY area.

Looking forward to recommendations!

Last edited:

Cucvnut

Unless you go with a doubler a 205 is useless. Its heavy only a low of 2.0 vs a 208 or 241 which are 2.65 and 2.71 low range. The m1008s only have one motor a 6.2 most need a new injection pump. The axle gears are 4.56 stock in a M1008.

handloader90

I do plan on going with a doubler from Offroad Design, forgot to mention that. I also want to throw a Painless 12v wire harness in there when I swap it over to a small block.

Do you think keeping the 208 in there is the way to go? I've heard mixed things with it having the slip yoke? I have a 208 in my '76 and I also have a spare 208 that I have to tear apart and make sure is good.

Is there a difference between the 208 in a CUCV, particularily the M1008 compared to the ones found in civilian rigs?

Last edited:

Cucvnut

There is no difference in the 208's you might look at a 205/241 doubler. I run a 241 in my truck and I have had zero issues when I wheel. I would love to run the A bomb bumper on my rig someday.

handloader90

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be sure to check that setup out here in a little bit. I'll probably find out through forums and good 'ol Google, but is there an advantage with using the 205/ 241 doubler compared to the 205/ 203 doubler, I've heard some great thing about the latter.