• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First time out with WMO

dikwks

Went out with my deuce for the first time with filtered WMO tonight. I ran it through a 10 micron filter on my first filter set-up, then mixed it 25% WMO, 25% pump gas, and 50% diesel. I'm going to work it up slow to 90% WMO and 10% gas, maybe then I can afford to drive her around more. Got my second set-up finished up today, will be running oil through a four stage filter system down to 5 microns. I'm so excited. I've got a line on one source and some feelers out for a couple more. Will make a big pick up tomorrow, YEEHAW !

abh3

Beware coolant, rainwater, etc. in WMO. I've thinned it, put it through a few sock filters down to 1 micron (SLOW!) and burned plenty. But with the DOT # on the door of the dump-truck now I don't take the chance of an 'untaxed fuel' ticket and WMO only goes OUT of the A3, never IN!!

mikew

Use diesel to thin the WMO, not gasoline.

Although it's counterintuitive, diesel autoingnites at a lower temperature than gasoline (410 F as compared to 495 F). So, it will be much harder to start the truck with gasoline in the WMO as compared to diesel.

mikew

Here's a list of autoignition temps.

WMO has an autoignition point of anywhere from 500 to 700 degrees fahrenheit, depending on what's in it. Shell Rotella T 15W40 oil, according to the MSDS, has an autoignition point of 608 F.

Attachments

Last edited:

'48Chevy6

Use diesel to thin the WMO, not gasoline.

Although it's counterintuitive, diesel autoingnites at a lower temperature than gasoline (410 F as compared to 495 F). So, it will be much harder to start the truck with gasoline in the WMO as compared to diesel.
Correct. To a point. What is the percentage of diesel fuel needed to be added to WMO to get a mixture that replicates the viscosity of diesel?

oddshot

Correct. To a point. What is the percentage of diesel fuel needed to be added to WMO to get a mixture that replicates the viscosity of diesel?
A number of people will suggest that an ratio of 80% waste to 20% diesel will work just fine ... as long as its filtered sufficiently. Some alter that mix seasonally, according to temperature.

If your question really is, "How do we determine the percentage of diesel fuel (or other liquid) needed to be added to each particular batch of WMO to get a mixture that replicates the range that is acceptable to the filters and IP of the multifuel Deuce?"

I've been working on that on this thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/alternative-fuels/75239-density-viscosity-flashpoint-wmo.html

oddshot

goldwing2000

Banned
Beware coolant, rainwater, etc. in WMO. I've thinned it, put it through a few sock filters down to 1 micron (SLOW!) and burned plenty. But with the DOT # on the door of the dump-truck now I don't take the chance of an 'untaxed fuel' ticket and WMO only goes OUT of the A3, never IN!!
So why not just pay the fuel tax? In Michigan, it's only $0.15 per gallon, so it's still a lot cheaper than buying diesel fuel. We just have to fill out a form and send it in once a month with a check for the tax amount.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For safety concerns, take a careful look at flashpoint, not just autoignition. Wiki defines.....The flash point of a volatile material is the lowest temperature at which it can vaporize to form an ignitable mixture in air. Measuring a flash point requires an ignition source. Below the flash point, the vapor may cease to burn when the source of ignition is removed. The flash point is not to be confused with the autoignition temperature, which does not require an ignition source.
When you have a fuel source that is giving off fumes that will burn, you have a safety concern. The MSDS sheets on #2 diesel that I have show a flashpoint from the high 130's to about 145 F.

dikwks

Fine like frog hair

Dikwks,
So how did it run for you?

I put the mix in Friday night, and it ran just fine, no hiccups, no miss and no difference in the exhaust plume. The power was good too. Cold started it today with no problem and no time lag. I'm gonna keep going as soon as I can get another tank ready. I found a hole in the bottom of my storage tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks