• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First time owner, needs pearls of wisdom

carmona

Greetings from MCLB Barstow,

I am picking up my DRMO'D Duece shop van in about a week, and I can't wait. Although I live on base, I want to make sure I can address any issues it may have before taking it out on the road.

Here are my main concerns:

1. I have never worked with these vehicles before.
2. I have no clue who to ask about registering the vehicle.
3. I plan on modding my Duece to run SVO (straight vegtable oil). I spoke with a greasecar "expert" he said there should be no problem, as it has a multifuel engine; I'm still skeptical. Has anyone ever tried to run on anything other than diesel or gas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LibertyDeuce

Josh
Just bought a shop van myself and had the same concerns myself. READ the TM's and re-read them again. You can download them in the resources section on this site. Working on theses vehicles are pretty straight forward. Lots of references for parts etc. on this site, any question post them and you'll get the answer you need. As for registration, depends on the state. California has their own particular requirements. Again, SS has lots of info on insurance and registration regarding deuces
Oh and by the way welcome aboard!!
Josh

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much to be found in the bowels of Steel Soldiers. As Liberty Deuce says, read the TMs, over and over. They will make much more sense once you have the truck. Use the search feature here. So much information is buried within the site. Once you get to the search page, read the little paragraph to the left. Most folks fail with search because they can't follow that little paragraph of instruction. There are many folks here willing to help on most matters and everyone loves the pics and stories. Don't even think of telling us about your recovery without attaching pics. Check the top of the deuce forum for a sticky post on picking up your deuce. Oh, one final thing, Welcome to Steel Soldiers. (your search for a second vehicle will commence soon).

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well not knowing how things work there, every state has it`s own lil rules. I`m in N.C. and went to thje local tag/title office. Found out here DMV has charge of any vehicle over 35 yrs and coming from out of state. They inspect,check all the numbers, give them a good looking over then the paper work begins. I was very lucky. I had a very nice officer and in les than a week I had a temp tag in hand. long story short. check with DMV. there is also a post about mounting a tag on the deuce in either the deuce forum or the conversation forum. That fellow got his done in Cal. and I`m sure will help you out. Good luck

Neil

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Ref you question about alternate fuels...the deuce will digest just about anything with a BTU rating.
Mine is on a diet of half waste motor oil and half diesel but I have burned a mix of 50-50 kerosene and waste veggie....it loved it.
With a heat exchanger you can run straight veggie as long as you start it and stop it on straight diesel. Check the online veggie forums for tips on how to make you own or pre-made kits.
Working on the beasts is fairly simple but some of the design features leave me scratching my head (like why is the bolt that holds the primary fuel filter on located underneath the alternator).
You will love/hate the monster but it is a cool truck and will forgive a lot of driver error.
After all, it was built the be operated by young soldiers with little or no experience with big trucks.

hole

With respect to registration, please DO NOT take it to DMV to register! The DMV doesnt know what a MV is and may/will tell you things that will make you sad/angry. Take your truck to a private DMV service, they charge 50 - 75 bucks on average and will take good care of you! Welcome to the site and enjoy! By the way, theres a bunch of us ( Deuce folks) here in so cal, we take the trucks out a few times a year on camping trips nearby, you'll have to try and join us! Next trip is in the fall

FSBruva

Welcome to SS!

I never worked on these trucks when I bought mine, and Kenny gave me the same advice 3 years ago - and he's right. Once you get the truck and put your hand on it, things become a lot clearer. Read and re-read the manuals regarding operation before you get the truck (because once you get it, you'll want to drive, rather than read). Understand that according to the letter of the law, you'll need a Class B license (commercial) to drive ANYTHING with 3 axles in CA. There are plenty of threads on this on the site.

The only thing that keeps WVO from being a perfect fuel source is that at lower temperatures, its higher viscosity is outside the operating range of the pumps/filters. Also, plenty of threads on the site.

Remember, with around 6000 individual TOPICS in just the deuce section, there is a chance your question has been answered before - "Search is your friend!"

Matt

carmona

I didn't know these existed

hole said:
...Take your truck to a private DMV service, they charge 50 - 75 bucks on average and will take good care of you!

sounds good, do you still have the contact number?

---

FSBruva said:
Understand that according to the letter of the law, you'll need a Class B license (commercial) to drive ANYTHING with 3 axles in CA.
In Texas, (my home state) this is not the case, I wonder if I still need to get a Class B since I'm still active duty.

Updates as I get them.

FSBruva

RE: I didn

Because of license reciprocity, you're probably right. You're not required to get a CA driver's license at all because of the SSCRA..... and since TX doesn't care, then you're fine. I forgot that you might not be domiciled in CA.

Matt

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hole is correct...do the DMV service...DMV people do not think and only push the buttons they know work.
As Kenny says, read the TM's...they are free here, take advantage of it.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Do PM on your truck, the life of my family could depend on it...you are too close!
WOO HOO, another So. Cal guy! As Tyler said, hope you can find the time to participate in our events...should be the 3rd one comming up after it cools down up in the high dez...BTW, you are about 30 miles from where we go.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial

I have to say that I just registered my duece at the DMV last week, I was in and out in 40 minutes. I still have to wait and see if everything gets approved in Sacramento but it was the most painless MV registration I have done thus far. Go in there with your SF-97, bill of sale, certified weight certificate, they will inspect it and as long as everything jives you pay the fees and are on your way. Dont forget to fill out the historical vehicle plate application otherwise your DMV fees will be close to $600/year compared to about $60/year.

One of the best ways to search this site is using Google; just format your query as '{keywords go here} site:steelsoldiers.com' and Google will search the whole thing at once, including within posts. It'll get you there faster than the on-site search tool.

jpinst

"Understand that according to the letter of the law, you'll need a Class B license (commercial) to drive ANYTHING with 3 axles in CA."

I dont want to beat a dead horse, but this lawyer has researched the sh%t out of those alleged laws, and it just does is not the case. Only applies to 3 axeld "commercial vehicle." The test lies in the definition of commercial vehicle, not the description of who needs a CDL. An MV does not fit the test of commercial vehicle, and twisting the definition it to try and make it fit is not how the law is construed. Read the legislative commnts and the case law. Ok I'm Done.

Just didn't want to scare him. He's just getting started.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Re: I didn't know these existed

carmona said:
hole said:
...Take your truck to a private DMV service, they charge 50 - 75 bucks on average and will take good care of you!

sounds good, do you still have the contact number?

---

FSBruva said:
Understand that according to the letter of the law, you'll need a Class B license (commercial) to drive ANYTHING with 3 axles in CA.
In Texas, (my home state) this is not the case, I wonder if I still need to get a Class B since I'm still active duty.

Updates as I get them.
Might want to check with your local JAG but I seem to recall that the Peoples Communist Republik of Kalifornification has some kind of law that you only get to have one vehicle that can retain your home state registration and all other vehicles must be registered in that state. They get to choose which one of your vehicles stays in with your TX registration and which one is registered in the PCRK. I know it was enforced when my brother lived there up until 1998. Only state that I know who does this to our military personnel.

Again, check with your JAG. If you live on base, it maybe a mute point since the vehicle inspectors probably won't get through the front gate.

hole

RE: Re: I didn

Josh, the service I used is in Monrovia, 2 hours away by Deuce, which you'll need to bring to have the Vin # inspected. I had sf97 in hand when I went and was out of there done and registered in 45 min. I would think there should be a service closer to you. Try the local phone book,if not Barstow, I would think Victorville. If nothing, then let me know and I'll get you the # for where I went.

saddamsnightmare

RE: Re: I didn

June 20th, 2008.

JOSH:

Read what these guys have to say... they'll steer you right, as far as that can be done in California....
WHEN you have the luck to return to Texas, you'll love it... No license plate is required, you can use the Hood or Bumper Markings as the registration number.... just pay the tag fee and go- can be placed under Military vehicle registration.... ask Sarge..! NO INSPECTION (Annual), so no need to chop up or modify your military truck to meet some ridiculous USDOT requirement..... AND.... NO CDL required... as the vehicle grosses under 26,001 LBS..... All in All, a much better deal then you'll get in CA..... And I think JPINST above is right on the CDL, the vehicle is non- commercial, and as built can't meet the commercial requirements on lighting and other details...

MOST STATES are smart enough to grandfather these trucks, as they were expressly not built as highway trucks which were built at the same time... technically, they were ,and are,off road TACTICAL TRUCKS with a limited highway capability designed into them. They are much more like off road construction or quarry trucks then true highway vehicles. The same thing is seen in Europe, where the Unimog driver's aren't required to have a highway truck drivers license, only a tractor drivers license..... Unimogs, were designed as farm tractors with limited road capabilities....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran truck
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A gas Gen-Set APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S404.114 MB :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks