• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First time poster/long time lurker Knoxville TN

dwalton31

Hello all from Knoxville TN. I figured as my first post, I'd make it in here. I've been a long time lurker, trolling through threads as a guest for quite some time now. It's been recently that I have registered. I am a member of numerous vehicle forums, but rarely post, unless I have something useful to say, or need help that I can't find through the search function. Needless to say, I'm sure my post count will be low.

Now then, on to the good stuff. I've been thrilled with MVs since a young boy.... who hasn't?? Well, during my Air Force time I was privelaged to be able to drive numerous MVs. We were a training base for cargo pilots and cargo loadmasters, and my job was working hand in hand with the loadmasters loading up "real world" cargo that they would be seeing in the field. Needless to say dueces (A2s/A3s/Expando vans), 5 tons (cargo and tractors), 1008s/1009s, HMMWVs (mainly just the hatchbacks with .50cal mounts), 101/105 trailers all the way out to 40ft flatbeds and box vans, APCs, 7.5 ton tractors, 10 ton tractors, forklifts (4k/10k/10kATs), etc.

I've been actively bidding on 5 tons and a duece here and there through GL, but without any luck. It seems like most of the lots lately end up being bought all by the same bidder..... leading me to think they are commercial bidders who will eventually resell them. Not good for me! BUT, I have been fortunate enough to find a relatively local guy selling his 5 ton. I'll be headed his way tomorrow to hopefully bring it home!! I'm so excited. This will be my first privately owned military vehicle, but by no means my first time in one. I've been missing them for the past 12 years, but (fingers crossed) I won't be after tomorrow!!

3dAngus

Hi, and welcome to the site. I hope it all goes well for you.
You're from a nice area of the Big Orange.
I love it there, Alcoa, and Gatlinburg. My brother had his best game with 8 tackles against UT when he played for the Bear. Lots of history.

Good luck, best wishes, and send pictures. They must be less than 1000 pixles on either side to download, so adjust your camera now.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Welcome to the site! Good luck tomorrow, and if you do buy it, keep in mind that you are required to share pictures with us. I'm pretty sure that's a federal law. :beer:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

Whether you score an MV now or not bring your happy azz down the GA Rally in October.

There is already a thread posted for it.

If you can get up with my little buddy Tigger he will even show you the way down......there may even be a convoy of TN folks since there are a lot in your area.

Come on down......good people, good food and good fun.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The West Texas Detachment of the SS welcomes the new guy aboard :D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Sounds like you're already familiar with the site. [thumbzup]

Keep us posted on your potential 5-Ton purchase please :jumpin: and remember.....

nopics

dwalton31

I would like to thank everyone for such a warm welcome!! I agree that

nopics

so I hope that in a few hours, there will be some!! The truck is loaded and ready to go, now for the quick (hour and a half) drive to go check her out. Hopefully by lunch time I will be on the way home with her...... she's a big girl, but I hear big girls need lovin' too! :jumpin:

I'll be sure to check out the the GA ralley and see if I can work it into the work schedule to attend. Again, thank you all for the wonderful welcome to the site!!

dwalton31

Well, here she is!!
After a very thorough brief on what's already been done to her, from engineer233 (awesome guy by the way.... very detail oriented and wanted me to know everything that he's done and learned about this M923), I made it home earlier this afternoon. Now to fix up the couple very minor issues, she'll be ready for daily use..... OK, maybe not DAILY use, but I do plan on driving her at least once or twice a week to work and around town a little.

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

dwalton31

I'm working on resizing the image now, so that there won't be a need to link to it....... I know, I know, I was already told to adjust the camera settings before hand..... I was too excited!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks