• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First trip out in Ward Lafrance.

Petelgv1

Hi mate, I can't take the credit for the restoration on this one. She is still pretty much how we got her.
she seems to have had an easy life. We have a few small jobs to do but that's the fun of owning an old vehicle.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting the pictures. Can you tell us a little about this truck's performance? I drove one before and it seemed to be the slowest, most underpowered Army truck ever fielded. Made me never want to have one.

Petelgv1

Thanks for posting the pictures. Can you tell us a little about this truck's performance? I drove one before and it seemed to be the slowest, most underpowered Army truck ever fielded. Made me never want to have one.
she is very slow, I can only compare it with a Matador timber crane. They are both about the same performance and gear box's are hard. I guess that's down to me to get use to.
The steering is very heavy and with hardy any lock, I have to make a lot of shunts.
The front wheel studs are extra long so they could put the 2 spares onto the sides of the fronts for more traction.
how they managed to steer then I don't know.

waayfast

Pete,
Lookin' good sir! Glad you were able to show it off.

I noticed my Ward has lots of slop in the steering--after looking it over I find the steer box is loose from the frame. Still a lot of grease hiding the details-hopefully the mounting bolts are just loose. It does seem to take a lot of effort to steer-.

I contacted the fellow that thought he had a whiffle tree for the Wards--unfortunately the photos he sent shows something altogether different from the tow bar we are looking for. Very nice of him to take the time with the offer however. I guess I will try to find someone willing to post up some good photos and jot down some dimensions so can give a try at fabricating one- if so , I'll certainly share the info.

Jim

Last edited:

Petelgv1

Pete,
Lookin' good sir! Glad you were able to show it off.

I noticed my Ward has lots of slop in the steering--after looking it over I find the steer box is loose from the frame. Still a lot of grease hiding the details-hopefully the mounting bolts are just loose. It does seem to take a lot of effort to steer-.

I contacted the fellow that thought he had a whiffle tree for the Wards--unfortunately the photos he sent shows something altogether different from the tow bar we are looking for. Very nice of him to take the time with the offer however. I guess I will try to find someone willing to post up some good photos and jot down some dimensions so can give a try at fabricating one- if so , I'll certainly share the info.

Jim
hi mate, hopefully we have located a Whiffle Tree and it should be on it's way by now..
Our Steering has a little play but not excessive. Good luck with yours.
I am now trying to locate the A bar that lives on the back of the crane.

Petelgv1

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The dueled front tires is for flotation when used on soft ground, helps to keep the front end from nose diving to China.

You could ADOPT me so when you go wheels, you can leave this GREAT wrecker to me, I promise you I WILL kept in tip top shape.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks