• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fisrt Deuce

lrjet23

Update:

Got up this morning to overcast skies, and a slight sprinkle. Didn't think I'd get much done today, but had her on the road finally.
Spent a couple hours tring to get the brass darincock out of the fuel filter canister. Finally went and got a tap and die set (first time using one). Figured why not since I have one on the way from alfaheven, for $20. So, I used the 1/2" NC tap, and seemed as only the brass came out. With a little picking, got the rest of the brass out. The new draincock was kinda snug going in, but why not, I got one on the way. Cranked it down as far as I thought I could get away with and crossed my fingers.

Climbed up and installed canister with filter, bolted it down, and climbed in the cab. Did I mention I had another canister on the way? With that in mind, pushed the button, and she came to life alot sooner than when I changed the final. HMM, makes cense, since it was the final to the IP. Anywho, I now also know that your truck will shut down if you have a filter canister fail. Apparently, I didn't get the canister set on the o-ring correctly because fuel was gushing from the top. After reseating it, she fired right up once more with a slight hickhup,(guess fuel exaustion from final til secondary caught up).

So, Ideling til everything was in the "green", shut her down, and no leaks.:p
Mine idles at 550 to 600, and very rough. From What I read, you want 800 to 1000, so I use the throttle lock. Also, read that low idle vibrations can cause the headlight filiment failure.

So, Question? Is 550 to 600 an accectable idle, using the throttle lock to increase RPM's on warm up? (Guess that's what it's for...and winch if you have one, and compressor tools)

Threw the tool box on the pax floorboard, paperwork in the glove box, and decided to go get some fuel. One more look at the underbody and wheels for leaks, check of the service brakes, and I was off on my first trip in the city. Just two left turns with about a mile straight a way, through a school zone, after leaving the hood. I already scoped out the gas station for manuvering room, and had my plan of attack,excited it flawlessly, and was ready to fuel. Went in to give the clerk cash, and he asked if I stole the truck from the base. I laffed, and said "YUP", then told him it was my new toy.

Leaving the machine running, I poured in a bottle of diesel 911, and proceded to top her off. Finishing that, and a check of tires, fuel filters, and underneith for leaks, hopped in the cab and wrote down my first mileage and hours numbers. For those curious it's 72271 and 669.4. While doing that, a state tropper came around the corner, and I thought "Oh boy, my first encounter", but nope, he just waved, and I waved back. BTW I have mine registered as a FMV, with no tags, and not having to display the registration sticker.

All systems go, I went for a big loop around the neighbor hood, which was another .4 on the hours meter. Got home, idled down, checked for leaks, shut down, drained tanks, and checked oil. All was good, and had a blast.:jumpin:

Observations:
I forget to turn the turn signal off.
Getting more comfortable driving her (only missed second for fifth once, she didn't like that)
Cars genneraly get out of your way

Now questions I have

She seems to get sluggish at 2100 to 2400 rpm's in all gears, it makes fourth "bog down", never did get to fifth. Normal? if not?

Guess thats it for today, most everything went as advertised.

And If anyone around San Antoino wants to meet up, I'll but the coffee, and would't mind another pair of eyes on my machine

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

lrjet23

One other thing I read was that if you are in gear for one direction, and allow the machine to roll the opposite way, it messes up the clutch, or something in there? ie. at a stoplight in first and you roll backwards.

jdmcgowen

Great story. I bought one last year, and I love it. It's just a hobby for me. I don't drive it enough, but I find myself on the internet (this site mostly ) thinking of what to buy and do next. You'll find out all sorts of things on this site. Most people on here are great. You have the occasional smart a.. but hey that's fun too. A lot of information starts flowing on here when people get into arguments so don't take anything the wrong way. The hardest thing for me to remember is letting it idle under 1000 rpms 5 min. at start up, and 5 min. before shutdown. That's supposed to keep your turbo from burning up. Oh yeah, and you'll get used to the turn signal it too me a while too. Good luck, keep us posted.
JDM

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other thing I read was that if you are in gear for one direction, and allow the machine to roll the opposite way, it messes up the clutch, or something in there? ie. at a stoplight in first and you roll backwards.
That refers to the sprag type transfer case. If you have an airshift, you are golden.

lrjet23

Update:

Nothing happend two days ago, for it rained all day. Spent most of the day looking through the manuals I got online. (Gona get kinkos to print the larger ones)

Yesterday the rain/mist cleared up abot 10 a.m., and I was off to work. Sun was out about 65 and I was gold. I did not have any parts to change, so I worked on cosmetics. Front right tire first! Thought about going all black on the rims, however, both front were mostly OD. Green it is for the front. Black for the duals.. Not to much else that day.

Today, got er done. Went to the auto store and got 20 zetrs. Printed out LO-2320-209-12-1, and replaced every zert that was bad. (the rest took lube). Painted the stack and front bumper, and called it a day.

Tomorrow (sunday) I will take her for the 50 mile drive, per the TM. Do not where to go yet, but I'll figure it out.

After all my reading, I still do not know if I have a sprang, or Air? How to tell? People say to read the TM's, but I cannot find it.

The next to last pic is the bows for the cab cover (coming soon), painted.. painted air housing..

Thats all for now! Someone near San Antonio would like to see her tomorrow, let me know, for i need to exercise her. Will update after the 50+ mile drive..

Attachments

JCKnife

After all my reading, I still do not know if I have a sprang, or Air? How to tell? People say to read the TM's, but I cannot find it.
I'm still kinda new to this myself, but I think if you have a switch on the lower dash to engage the front axle then it's air.

tatra813

nothin better than your first duece!! get some lockers, throw on some 5 ton tires and rip it up.........its a lot of truck for the money

lrjet23

Thanks, I do have that switch, but I have not tried it yet. Which brings up another question reguarding the trans. The TM's say not to roll while in netural. Will this cause damage to the truck, or simply a safety issue, where as in gear and your brakes fail, to use the engine to slow your roll?

Also the weather was to cold and cloudy to do my test run today. Mabey soon!

Thanks to all!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks