• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fitments of shelters on my trailer.

Xanthus

I was just curious if there were other options for shelters that would fit on my trailer with little to no cutting on the trailer.

I have removed the wood bits for the cover as they are going to the member here who tipped me off on this trailer being available to us locally.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chief, are you sure? A2 only has 45" between the inner fenders. My S318 did not fit in my M101A1.

Xanthus

Yeah, I r not quite that handy. That is pretty cool though!

Now that does remind me I DO have a lathe so I am likely to make new handles for my brakes just for giggles. I will post pics when/if that happens.

Attached is the brake handle I modified for my old Lotus Elise.

Attachments

Last edited:

KsM715

I had an S-250 in a 101A1 for a while. Tight, but it worked.

My S-250 measures 48" at the bottom and my m101a2 measures nearly 46" between the wheel wells. Theres no way a 250 will fit a standard 101 bed without modification. It will work in a a3 bed.

Or one could easily remove 1.5" from either wheel well and widen the space by 3"

Edit: The S-250 will fit in the back of your HMMWV :D

Xanthus

How do I tell which version of the trailer I have? I will measure it tomorrow, but the nagging question in my head tonight hopes for answers.

here is one I saw and did not buy. The trailer had a little too much rust for my taste.

Attachments

Xanthus

So is it an easy cut and rework? I assume from where the tires are there is enough room not to need to do any major mechanical work. Is this correct?

Now the thought is if I'm cutting anyway, any thoughts on a custom (not wood) shelter?

What materials are good choices for the panels? The frame I would think a nice thick aluminum for strength without excessive weight.

Definitely want to have something with insulating qualities to it.

Last edited:

KsM715

This is what I would do.

Cut a 1.5" strip (blue in the pic) from front to back on the fender well. (on both fenders) Then cut the remaining piece loose from the floor and slide it out that 1.5" and weld it back in place then weld in a simple patch to the floor. Simple, no bends to make or anything.

Edit: if your trailer is the one you posted earlier it is a m101a2. There should be some data plates on the outside front of the trailer bed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Chief_919

My S-250 measures 48" at the bottom and my m101a2 measures nearly 46" between the wheel wells. Theres no way a 250 will fit a standard 101 bed without modification. It will work in a a3 bed.

Or one could easily remove 1.5" from either wheel well and widen the space by 3"

Edit: The S-250 will fit in the back of your HMMWV :D
I have had 2 with S-250's set in them with no issues.

Keep in mind the widest point on an S-250 is in front and back where the corners are reinforced., as shown the picture. The center where you need to fit between the wheel wells is narrower.

Before you start cutting and welding, try dropping it in there.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks