• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fitting Canadian (ACME) transmission into USA M37

kd1yt

My M37 project has been dormant for too long, competing with too many other things requiring time- but I am hoping to get back to it.

The truck has 16,000 miles on it and original paperwork showing that Uncle Sam replaced the engine at 10,000; it's largely rust free and mostly unmolested (if you disregard the fire department paintbrush-applied red paint, which, so far, I just consider part of its 'path'- and something that kept it better preserved than many).

Among the limited number but significant 'issues' that I need to straighten out is the fact that the transmission sometimes pops out of 2nd gear when going downhill. It's an early production truck, which means that it probably has the 88950 transmission rather than the NP420, and I have read some of Charles Talbert's information that says that the 88950 transmission is prone to this, and sort of goes into hard-to-reverse decline once this starts.

I bid for and one a Canadian M37 "ACME" transmission on that online-place, and it has a 1975 official rebuild embossed tag (Seller says he got it from Memphis Equip. about 15 years ago), and I got it for a very good price (have to go pick it up, hopefully next weekend). From what I have read, the Canadian ACME transmission was a licensed copy of the Borg-Warner T98, which is both more modern and more durable than the 88950/NP420 types.

I've read that the Canadian M37s had 11" clutches (rather than the USA 10" clutches) and the seller says that the input shaft is 1.375"-10 spline, which is bigger than the 1" input shaft on the US transmissions.

I have found that some of the 1950s & 1960s Ford 6 cylinder trucks had 10" clutches with a 1.375-10 spline center.

I am HOPING (a lot) that if I get a 10" clutch disk (10" to match the USA flywheel and pressure plate) with the 1.375-10 spline clutch center (to match the ACME input shaft) -from one of those Ford applcations- that this can be a pretty simple bolt-up.

VPW, even though it lists the different clutch outer and input shaft diameters, seems to show a single type throwout bearing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxzO_Oy1EMLILXpOYk05RGRFcXc/view
which has me cautiously encouraged that the throwout bearing could remain the same.

I know that this is't "purist" to turn the truck multicultural with a transmission transpant from over the border, but it's reversible and I will save the original US transmission in case I or anyone else ever want to return to 'authentic'

Can any of you who've worked with or compared the clutch and transmission parts of both the Canadian and US trucks please let me know whether I am headed in a direction that may likely work- (if so, I want to keep an eye out for and pick up one of those Ford 10"/1.375 clutch plates)- or whether I need to figure that this will be considerably more elaborate to pull off.

Thanks in advance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks